71 replies to this topic

#21 bob2011

bob2011

Ladyboy Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:44 AM

Jolly Friar is good but go round the corner into soi Chaiyerpun (next to Oasis gogo on soi Buakhao) and try NeeRoys. Much better and only 99 baht! All my expat freinds who live here agree with me. Gooses is o.k. Jolly Friar is o.k. but NeeRoys is better. Try anything on their menu, it's all good.

#22 Moo Yung

Moo Yung

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

I used to live just aroudn the corner from the Jolly Friar and often got my fix there, but I have to admit Goose's just edges it for me.

I tend to be a cheap 'skate' and opt for the dory, and I always find Goose's cook the fish better, but the Friar's chunky chips are lush. The winning margin comes when Gooses give you that bit of bread and butter (for the buonus butty) and the Frias loses points for it's horrible greasy onion rings and foul curry sauce and mushy peas, and any true connoisseur of chippys knows you need something moist with you fish supper

#23 stickyfingers

stickyfingers

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Thai Lbs/GGs with Big tits and Asses & Gogo God
    Exotic women of colour
    Oh and the culture/food of course!!

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hi chaps.

just to let u know the JFriar is finishing its promotional loyalty card scheme today as was told previously by staff few wks ago but i managed to get my free meal in yday as had a full card.

Stil best for fish n chips in town!!

cheers 4 now,

#24 andyishere

andyishere

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:43 PM

For those on the Dark Side, there is a new shop called Lakeside Chippy.
Went ther last night for the first & last time.
Dory & chips floating in oil, absolutely disgusting, also told that the Dory will be 25 baht more that the menu price due to increased costs.
It is really a cheap charlie bar with guys having a cheap beer, complaining about Thai women & expressing their expert views on English football.
Stay away if you want decent fish & chips.

#25 sexpat69

sexpat69

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboy's and Golf, in any order, or both together for that matter.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Jolly Friar is good but go round the corner into soi Chaiyerpun (next to Oasis gogo on soi Buakhao) and try NeeRoys. Much better and only 99 baht! All my expat freinds who live here agree with me. Gooses is o.k. Jolly Friar is o.k. but NeeRoys is better. Try anything on their menu, it's all good.

Have to agree here with Bob, all food is good and very reasonable, try the steak and onions.........

#26 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,410 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

Just had fish and chips at NeeRoy and they were very good. Even good for American fish
and chips 5555555. I had looked for Cantebury Tales last trip and couldn't find it. I know
where it is now.

#27 chokdee

chokdee

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

gooses hits the spot for me ,fish chips, mushy peas, bread and butter delivered to my local bar

#28 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

POPULAR

During my long stay in LOS, I sampled many different fish & chips restaurants.

The first is the The Queen Vic Pub on Soi 23 in Bangkok. They use egg in the batter which I don't like, so I have to pass on this one.
IMG323.jpg

The next is from the Off Shore at the beginning of Soi 23. It is a pretty famous place. What I love about this place is that they give you your own bottle of tartar sauce, so you don't have to keep asking for more. The fries are very greasy, and I as soon as I took this photo, a cockroach ran across my table. The place is absolutely ghetto, but the fish & chips are still good.
IMG355.jpg

Here is a photo from the Jolly Friar in Pattaya. This is the halibut. It is HUGE, about twice the size of my hand. Taste very good, but it is a little too much. At some point, I'm basically forcing the food down my throat.
IMG394.jpg

This is from the Stag's Head on Soi LK Metro. These are actually my favorite friend fish in Pattaya. They're called Fish Fingers, not fish & Chips. They're my favorite because I like this style of crunchy batter.
IMG421.jpg

Edited by jimjim005, 11 October 2012 - 02:33 PM.

• deepthroat, bighairy and Blodstrupmoen like this

#29 icebergjr.

icebergjr.

LB Iceberg Puller

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,367 posts
  • Interests:This offends me as I'm a vegan transgender atheist who vapes and crossfits 4 times a week and I'm also a male feminist as I identify myself as a pastafarian apache helicopter dog, mega multi combo god of hyper death and if you don't agree with me you're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic sexist lesbian.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the tip, meeting up with my buddy FM in a couple of hours at the Stags Head, so looking forward to giving this a try, looks good. :)

#30 donnykey

donnykey

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

I am a fan of jolly friar and would also agree with some previous posts regarding Neeroys. All there food is great. A large variety of dishes and there mince mash and peas is just like mum used to make. Also try the apple and blueberry pie and Ice cream yum yum.

Cheers DK

#31 stickyfingers

stickyfingers

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Thai Lbs/GGs with Big tits and Asses & Gogo God
    Exotic women of colour
    Oh and the culture/food of course!!

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Always went to Jolly Friar as was consistently good and was getting to the point of having to sit at next door at Lone Star, to get a table as so popular in the early evenings!!

Believe its changed hands of ownership so cant say what its like now??

#32 dexter66

dexter66

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

A great place for Fish & Chips is the Village Chippie on 3rd Road,

If you walk to the top of Soi Lenkee take a right and walk along for a few hundred yards and accross

the road facing the Fire Station you will see a sign for the Village Chippie which is just down the Soi.

The English owner also does Chinese dishes.

#33 danthepoolman

danthepoolman

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Although very expensive at 650baht the dory I had at page 10 hotel was incredible.....
Probably the best fish I've ever had.

Only problem is its served with spaghetti and marinara sauce??
When I got the same dish a few nights later and changed the sides to French fries, was much better :)

#34 steveo941

steveo941

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

A great place for Fish & Chips is the Village Chippie on 3rd Road,

If you walk to the top of Soi Lenkee take a right and walk along for a few hundred yards and accross

the road facing the Fire Station you will see a sign for the Village Chippie which is just down the Soi.

The English owner also does Chinese dishes.

sum guys will walk a long way to save 5BT

#35 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 11,904 posts
  • Interests:Same as the rest of ye!

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

The beefeater on Soi Diana does a great Plaice, I had the boiled potatoes so can't report on the good old chips but if it's like anything else they do they should be good.

#36 Ghost Of Steptoe

Ghost Of Steptoe

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts
  • Interests:horses, greyhounds, complaining, pie and mash and of course strange ladies with 3 legs

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Tried the Jolly Frier this evening for Chips , Fish and Mushy peas and I must say it was quite poor, the fish was totally tasteless the beer batter very flat and very heavy ,no bubbles in it like you expect from a chip shop , the chips were okay , a little over cooked for my tast , more like homemade ones than chippy chips.
Quite expensive really cost me 440 for Fish, Chips, Peas , 2 x Bread and a cup of tea, thats nearly £10 , taking the piss for me, again will stick to Gooseys on 2nd Rd at top of soi 8 , much better quality.

#37 Justin Sane

Justin Sane

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

OK, this is not in Pattaya, or even Thailand for that matter, but I still had to share this experience with you. Just visited this fish & chips restaurant in Seoul called 'The Battered Sole'. It was started by two Brits (one of them being half Korea), that moved to Seoul because they could find a decent fish & chips in England.
They use fresh local Pacific cod and make their beer batter from scratch. The tartar sauce is also made from scratch, emulsifying oil, lemon juice, and egg yolks with a food processor. The chips are triple cooked. They are boiled, cooled, fried, cooled, then fried again at high heat. And of course it is served with mushy peas. The only thing that's missing is that it isn't served with newspaper.
Definitely the best fish & chips I've had in a long time. Here is a picture of the Guinness beer battered cod.

IMG637.jpg
  • icebergjr. and Kendo UK like this

#38 TerryBB

TerryBB

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Football, ladyboys, t-girls,3 holer girls and of course fine wines, reading good food and travel

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Tried the Jolly Frier this evening for Chips , Fish and Mushy peas and I must say it was quite poor, the fish was totally tasteless the beer batter very flat and very heavy ,no bubbles in it like you expect from a chip shop , the chips were okay , a little over cooked for my tast , more like homemade ones than chippy chips.
Quite expensive really cost me 440 for Fish, Chips, Peas , 2 x Bread and a cup of tea, thats nearly £10 , taking the piss for me, again will stick to Gooseys on 2nd Rd at top of soi 8 , much better quality.

Steptoe

Went to Gooseys earlier this year and I have to say was ordinary at best, and it had bloody pics of my home town on the walls lol But I have to agree with Dexter the place he goes is very good. But if you not willing to head out then I think Pig n Whistle is hard to beat, even though not Cod it's a tasty treat for fish n chip fans.

Keep the faith

JBB

#39 paulyb

paulyb

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

B) Have to agree with Jerrybb about Goose fish and chips - o.k. but nothing special - pic attached.
I ate mainly at Rosies on Soi 7 and all their food was good including fish and chips,I think about 195 baht

Attached Images

• Gooses fish chips.jpg

• Justin Sane likes this

#40 lifeisbeautiful

lifeisbeautiful

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

its feckin snowed in here and you heartless complain the fish&chips in Pattaya! Posted Image

Life is unfair Posted Image

Edited by lifeisbeautiful, 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users