7 replies to this topic

#1 Dbow

Dbow

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

I guess there is a complete thread about this I could not find...
What do you think is the most efficient and cost effective way to call and text Thai numbers from EU/UK?
I see that Skype credits are OK for calling, texting is pretty cheap (5.6 euro cent) too but works only one way. (You need to have a mobile to receive replies)
Maybe buying a subscription from a local operator in Thailand and use roaming? :On Phone:

#2 Beachlife

Beachlife

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

WhatsApp for texting ... Android and iPhone ... free the first yr then $1.99 / yr after that. Each phone must have WhatsApp installed.
Many of the LB's in BKK use this already ... You just need to enter the phone numbers with +<country code> ...

Tango for talking ...

Here's an older thread with more info ...
http://www.ladyboysp...__1#entry212068

Edited by Beachlife, 15 February 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#3 Swedeman007

Swedeman007

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

Www.justvoip.com has great rates, allows SMS, and can be used via an app on a iPhone. I have been using this service for years now, it has better rates than Skype. -Swedeman007

#4 Dbow

Dbow

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

Www.justvoip.com has great rates, allows SMS, and can be used via an app on a iPhone. I have been using this service for years now, it has better rates than Skype. -Swedeman007

Thanks I have just tried them. I sent out a few SMSs. Their price looks unbeatable! Thanks for the hint! :)

There is only one thing missing from every offer I saw. They require you to have a real and certified caller ID (namely a real mobile number) they put on the SMSs as reply to header. I never heard of any operator that would give you a local Thai (or other) number for money to server as your caller ID?

Of course you can make them (justvoip and skype too) put your text caller ID with a name to the from field of the SMS but of course people cant reply to you it.
I know SMSs and calls are not a strictly IT area but if we take VoIP (which is) I would expect a kind of gateway service to route calls and SMSs through a local possibly generated number. People calling or texting to that would not pay their asses off by using your foreign mobile number when they return your call/text.

db

#5 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,206 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboys, Football(both), Ladyboys, travel, Ladyboys, LOS, Ladyboys, fun

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

A LB in LOS got me on WhatsApp and if your on WIFI it doesn't count as a text. I like it. it's fast and easy to send pics.

#6 scottyboy2

scottyboy2

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Might be worth saying that from a landline I use 18185.co.uk at 1.5p a minute, its cheapest for me because in on Virginmedia.
If you get free local calls with BT you will be better off with localphone.com.

#7 Turk182

Turk182

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

Whatsapp for iPhone 69p life or Android $1.99 after first year, its totally free and can send pics just requires wifi for which there is shitloads around Pattaya.

Viber is ok for calls, but sometimes flaky.

Skype for SMS back home is one of the cheapest and easiest.

Tango for talking also ok

#8 Dbow

Dbow

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I use Flynumber now to have a virtual DID Thai number. That number is directed to my skype account. Bought skype world wide unlimited call for 9.99 EUR / month which includes calling Thai land lines and mobiles from skype for free. SMS costs 5 EUR cents from Skype and it delivers ok.
So people can call me on my own Thai number that rings my Skype account, I can call them for free on mobiles, land lines or skype. I can SMS them. All seem efficient and relatively cheap.

There is only one thing missing. They cannot SMS me. Virtual numbers I found on the net would not support SMS redirection. Of course you can set up Skype to send your mobile number as the sender of the SMS but it costs a lot for people in Thailand sending SMSs to Europe or US. I would need a local Thai number for SMS.

Any idea how can I solve that last part of the puzzle?
Ahh yes, obviously not everyone has smart phones or data plans in Thailand so I would need an SMS solution for now. :)

db

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users