#1 jcs

jcs

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Interests:The quiet life..

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Just a quick one chaps, I am working away from home at the moment, still in UK though, i need an internet connection and i was considering getting a Dongle, just need it for a month.

would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction vis a vis cost and where to get one, I could do with getting it this weekend..

#2 Guest_sixtyeightplusone_*

Guest_sixtyeightplusone_*

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

I have one with 3 and its good. Can go into a shop and just takes minutes to set up. I have a heavy usage package and it costs about 25quid a month. If its just for simple web browsing for work than you can get a cheaper package. Pretty sure 3 dont do it by month and you would have to get a 12 month contract.

I think vodafone or O2 have a pre-payed one with no contract and you just top it up just like a pre-payed phone.

#3 Terry Tibbs

Terry Tibbs

Takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts
  • Interests:No prizes for guessing!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

What phone do you have? You might be able to use your phone's internet connection with your computer which might save you the expense of the dongle.

#4 jcs

jcs

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Interests:The quiet life..

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

What phone do you have? You might be able to use your phone's internet connection with your computer which might save you the expense of the dongle.

Terry,

I have an Iphone 4s on a 3 contract.

#5 Moo Yung

Moo Yung

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Three Network seems be the cheapest on pay as you go (from my recent research), I have had a 3 dongle for the past few years and every time I'm in the UK I top it for short time use. Last time it was £2.99 per 2 days of usage PAYG. BUT the coverage is/was pretty terrible in some places, I've traveled with it around London, East Anglia and along the South Coast, and the coverage varied so much, awful at times, slowing down and losing signal. It's also only 500mb per £2.99 top up which isn't great.

Overall it's a nice little dongle if you are only popping in and out of the country or just want something for rare occasions when you are on the move, no commitments and no contract, but it's not a long term solution.

#6 Terry Tibbs

Terry Tibbs

Takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts
  • Interests:No prizes for guessing!

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Terry,

I have an Iphone 4s on a 3 contract.

Providing you get good 3g network where you want to use your laptop then just use your phone.

You need to get your network to enable internet tethering... some networks allow it for free depending what tariff you are on, some will charge a small fee.

Once this is done you will get an extra menu in settings... this will allow you to share your phones internet connection by usb cable or bluetooth.

Job done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users