Steve Hounslow

Robbed at Stringfellows

Rate this topic

How did they get it from your safe? and please say where this happened as they dont deserve any bookings?

I was handed a key for the safe, I was told the last time I stayed at this place last November that the digital numbers didnt work on my safe so just presumed it was same same this time, I was wrong and they did work so I could have kicked myself for not even trying to try the digital numbers.

I was told after the event that only myself and the cashier had keys to the safe.

I was handed a key for the safe, I was told the last time I stayed at this place last November that the digital numbers didnt work on my safe so just presumed it was same same this time, I was wrong and they did work so I could have kicked myself for not even trying to try the digital numbers.

I was told after the event that only myself and the cashier had keys to the safe.

why not name the place?

unless the establishment made good on your loss and you know for sure an employee ripped you off...name the place...if there is any doubt that you may have been the victim of an overnight guest you brought back to your room, then I can see your reluctance in naming the guesthouse/hotel.

why not name the place?

unless the establishment made good on your loss and you know for sure an employee ripped you off...name the place...if there is any doubt that you may have been the victim of an overnight guest you brought back to your room, then I can see your reluctance in naming the guesthouse/hotel.

I doubt 99.99% it was my overnight guest ( it wasnt Owe btw), she is one of my favourites, Ive known her quite a while and I trust her.

Other pionts are

1.. She wouldnt have had a clue where my key was hidden

2 ..She was asleep most of the time

3.. I would have heard and seen her even when I was in the shower ( the door was open)

My guest and I left the room at 3pm, the cleaner and an guy went into the room to clean it and service the air-con.

I returned to the room at 5pm and counted my money approx 7pm, £500 was missing

I confronted the girl at the bar and looked at the CCTV cameras the next day, the only persons near my room during those 2 hours out of my room were the cleaner and the air-con guy.

When I spoke to the cashier she told me that only her and myself had a key and access to the safe, she asked if I was sure I had had money taken and if I had mis-calculated my monies, I may be daft but even I would notice that amount of money gone...lol

At the end of the day I cannot prove that the money had been stolen or who took it (hence why I cannot really name the place) and I have taken it on the chin, in all of my nearly 40 trips to the LOS I have never had this kind of problem before and hopefully it will not happen again

geeezzz the guy just reported getting pickpocketed for fucks sake....we ALL know it happens...whats not to believe?... he posted and gets caned in here?

meanwhile, the "non-believers" wait patiently for the tooth fairy...

At the end of the day I cannot prove that the money had been stolen or who took it (hence why I cannot really name the place) and I have taken it on the chin, in all of my nearly 40 trips to the LOS I have never had this kind of problem before and hopefully it will not happen again

a good idea not to post where you got ripped off...as it would most likely get back to the hotel/guesthouse and they would send someone around to extract a bad publicity fee from you...and that would probably be a painful payment.

a good idea not to post where you got ripped off...as it would most likely get back to the hotel/guesthouse and they would send someone around to extract a bad publicity fee from you...and that would probably be a painful payment.

Hanz.... Duke did say this happened last month

Edited by wildrover

i undersand he's notin thailand any longer...they have long memories and would collect next time he's seen in town.

Duke obviously wont stay there again so how on earth will the management of the hotel collect next time when he is in town?

The whole point of a forum is that we post if and when someone gets ripped off or not.

Duke obviously wont stay there again so how on earth will the management of the hotel collect next time when he is in town?

The whole point of a forum is that we post if and when someone gets ripped off or not.

since duke got ripped off there...the place is obviously shady...he chooses not to mention the guest house/hotel...and for his personal safety I think that's a smart move...

Pattaya can be a dangerous city.

Edited by hanz

I doubt 99.99% it was my overnight guest ( it wasnt Owe btw), she is one of my favourites, Ive known her quite a while and I trust her.

Other pionts are

3.. I would have heard and seen her even when I was in the shower ( the door was open)

My guest and I left the room at 3pm, the cleaner and an guy went into the room to clean it and service the air-con.

I confronted the girl at the bar and looked at the CCTV cameras the next day, the only persons near my room during those 2 hours out of my room were the cleaner and the air-con guy.

When I spoke to the cashier she told me that only her and myself had a key and access to the safe, she asked if I was sure I had had money taken and if I had mis-calculated my monies, I may be daft but even I would notice that amount of money gone...lol

The story is proof enough to out them. All this should be in its own thread not dragging Stringfellows into it

Jesus Christ man , what you expect him to do not warn everyone else of these horrible little shits nefarious activities , your probably the kind of bloke who will stand there while your mate gets beat up and then say you saw nothing in case of reprisal .

Man up and grow a spine.

Well said Albert, Now get back to work....

since duke got ripped off there...the place is obviously shady...he chooses not to mention the guest house/hotel...and for his personal safety I think that's a smart move...

Pattaya can be a dangerous city.

How the hell would they know who he is?

Well he did stay there and they are probably still holding the copy of his passport and after all they know that his money was stolen.

Does that answer your question ?

Vasilli

Edited by Vasilli

...if the front desk manager has dealt with more than one guest who had 500 pounds ripped off from the safe in his room...they probably wouldn't have a clue. :blink:

plus...shouldn't you be directing your question to duke?...I'm merely posting a possible reason as to why someone would be reluctanct to post the name of the dishonest establishment.

anyone who visits Pattaya as much as duke...would have already taken this into consideration.

Edited by hanz

... the cleaner and an guy went into the room to clean it and service the air-con....

I once left the hotel, realized I had forgotten something, turned around and went back and walked into the room just in time to catch the air conditioning guy opening the safe. AFAIK, he was fired immediately, or at least that is what they told me.

The advice always seems to be to use the safety deposit boxes at hotel reception for valuables. However, during my first visit to Thailand, some years ago, someone accessed one of my credit cards while it was in the hotel safety box and I received bills for expensive restaurants in Singapore. Advice may have changed but my bank told me at the time to keep my credit cards with me. Hard to know what to do for the best and what your insurance company would expect you to do.

Steve

Other pionts are

I'd put money on it, that it was the cashier. I know your profile Dave, generous to the girls (so why do it), multiple LB's (easy to blame them by the cashier). I'd make an educated guess it was something to do with the cashier and she was working on the basis that if the police were called - she'd say he had a LB in the room and they were all drunk. Police will auto assume its the LB and aided by the cashier trying to deflect blame. Smaller type guesthouse and the cashier is 'part of the family' and all the rest of it. 24,000b not a bad result at all for someone probably earning 15k in actual monthly salary. Had it been someone without a brain cell, they would have taken all of the cash. Its a schemer girl/guy - hence the cashier - they have the brains to plan it and plan their alibi as well as neatly blaming it on someone else...

The advice always seems to be to use the safety deposit boxes at hotel reception for valuables. However, during my first visit to Thailand, some years ago, someone accessed one of my credit cards while it was in the hotel safety box and I received bills for expensive restaurants in Singapore. Advice may have changed but my bank told me at the time to keep my credit cards with me. Hard to know what to do for the best and what your insurance company would expect you to do.

Steve

I agree with you Steve and your post reminds me of a post on this subject that I placed a long time ago. I referred to the contents files in my Profile here and am copying and pasting the post I placed on 12 december 2009:

The last time I stayed at the Royal Twins Palace, one morning upon returning to the hotel I was kept waiting at reception for my room key because there was a conversation going on just along the reception counter between a middle aged and respectable looking American couple, members of the hotel reception staff and two policemen.

It turned out that the couple had deposited a few hundred $US in the safe box behind the reception the previous evening and by that next morning it had all been STOLEN! The police had been called in immediately and they had asked who had been on night duty at the desk. They then attended the house of the woman who had been on duty and had found the money.

The woman had confessed to taking the money and had handed it all over to the police. She swore that she had come from work to home and gone straight to bed and that that was all the money that there was. But according to the American couple it was $200 short.

The police were being very calm and apologetic, saying that if that was all there was, maybe the guests had made a mistake and that there was nothing more that could be done about it. The guests controlled themselves very well but insisted that they knew exactly how much money they had deposited and that the amount the police were offering was short by $200. I listened to the conversation for a few minutes and of course I didn't know who was right, but judging from the tones of voice and body language of all concerned I kinda believed the Americans.

There were no assurances being made by the police of any legal proceedings being brought against the hotel receptionist. Their whole attitude seemed to be “These things happen and we are sorry for the inconvenience but just be glad you got most of your money back!”

Another woman entered reception and gave me my room key so I left and do not know how the story ends, but I learned two things from this.

One is that hotel safes are not necessarily the safest places to leave valuables when a member of the staff has access to the contents. If you insist on using that facility to deposit money, especially in any substantial amount, don’t allow the staff member to see what you are putting in the box. Not all Thais are the same of course, but now I have seen for myself that it only takes one bad one for things to go badly wrong.

The other is that the police might be deducting a handling charge for upholding the law.

Two policemen and a missing two hundred dollars. Coincidence?

TIT? Trust nobody but yourself!

I'd put money on it, that it was the cashier. Police will auto assume its the LB and aided by the cashier trying to deflect blame. Smaller type guesthouse and the cashier is 'part of the family' and all the rest of it. Had it been someone without a brain cell, they would have taken all of the cash.

I agree mate, knew I would have been "pissing against the wind" getting the Police involved knowing my companion was an LB, and yes I was very thankful in the end that the tealeaf did not take all of the cash so therefore allowed me to at least enjoy the rest of my trip B)

On a sidenote I remember years ago looking in horror to see my safe had been left wide open, my companion at the time was Jenny from the Guess Bar.

She had already left the room so I frantically counted the money to see if any was missing ( I had £2000 cash in there), needless to say not a penny had been touched.

In fact with Jenny I would just say to her "take the money out of my wallet and take a tip", she never took the piss either..bless her

Edited by duke007

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply, please let me know the name of the Dancer, then I can "continue" to investigate this.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob

I have looked through the mug-shots but I'm reluctant to name names unless I'm 100% certain, which I'm not. I've already acknowledged that I was wrong in not trying to ascertain the identity of he individual before I left. I merely posted this topic as a warning to others, as "Petesie has suggested, which I did in good faith. If anyone wants to call me a liar and be generally unpleasant then so be it. I don't really see any point in me making this up.

Steve

according to having the date , i think it's not complicated to check it out

& also so happy that powerbob is following the post & reflexes.

normally good & bad people are everywhere ,but being more secure in one of the resons that people take the LB or GG from the bar.

i heard many like this in walking,beach road , disco marine , ....

but i never heard like this on most of LB bars , 

by the way , heads must be always up

such kind of things always happen for everybody , try to pass it & enjoy your time

life is too short dude

Cheers

Just see this thread. I too have had trouble at stringfellows. I was in there having few beers and left my phone on table next to my beer. Was waiting for a call. Anyway i got talking to a girl then when I turned my phone was gone.

I was fucking gutted as it had my wife's number plus important suppliers numbers I needed.

I made a thing of it and told them it had important numbers etc. I said il go toilets and hope its back when I return.

Came back and it was on the table. Paid bill and left.

Left a bad taste ever since. Never been back since.

It was around may 2011. Not sure if its changed hands since. Didn't want people to think it was recently

Edited by artiful_dodger