AlexP

Scam attempts you have encountered in Pattaya?

Rate this topic

2 scams that I have experience of lately.

A friend of mine , who lives part of the time in Berlin and part in Spain received an SMS to say that a good friend had been mugged at his hotel in Thailand, and could he send $2,000 so that he can get home to Europe. He gave another name for the money to be collected at "Western Union" as his Passport was taken also.

It was while he was on his way to the local town that he bumped into his friend in the Supermarket - complaining that he had had many calls to ask how his friends (who also had SMS,s) could get money to him. Do be  careful out there !

Another one was. I had a call from some company supposed to be from "Microsoft" telling me that my computer was in danger, and could they replace the defence system with a powerful "Norton" system. They offered to do it all with a "Teamview" application and proceeded to fumble about in my computer. I was a fool, and when they asked for my  credit card details to pay for the new system , and for certain codes. I got suspicious and got out of the computer. Not before they had tried to get money from "Western Union" and "PayPal" accounts. They were not successful as the bank was alerted by me. Also "Paypal" and "Western Union.".

I was slow off the mark, and I hope that this does not happen to you esteemed members out there.

All was well in the end, but not before I had to change my credit cards and other codes.

Tread carefully !!

dannymurray

Should have read the heading "Scams in Thailand".  However Scams are scams everywhere and deserve to be noted. dannymurray.

Watch the G girls in the the Walking St and Pier night clubs.

They make you feel you have pulled and go home with you and hang out for a few days and nights,taking your food and drinks and tips.

You fall for this one because these clubs are not Go Go bars with the bar fine system in operation.

You haven't pulled. The meter has been running every minute you are with her and you will be contacted by very nasty people demanding extortionate sums of money for time spent with 'our lady'. No fee was agreed or even discussed.I had to check out of my hotel at 4am in the morning and make a run for it to another hotel on the far side of Pattaya owned by influential people from my own country before they caught up with me.The Tourist Police said they could do nothing until I was actually attacked! The girls are 'trained' to gather info on you. They get your cell phone no and your hotel room and the day you are flying home. The hammer comes down the day before you leave so that if you pay up you will not be around to start an investigation which would cost a fortune and probably lead nowhere anyway.I got away with this scam because I knew well connected people who helped. A silly mistake to make but a lesson well learned.

Watch the G girls in the the Walking St and Pier night clubs.

They make you feel you have pulled and go home with you and hang out for a few days and nights,taking your food and drinks and tips.

You fall for this one because these clubs are not Go Go bars with the bar fine system in operation.

You haven't pulled. The meter has been running every minute you are with her and you will be contacted by very nasty people demanding extortionate sums of money for time spent with 'our lady'. No fee was agreed or even discussed.I had to check out of my hotel at 4am in the morning and make a run for it to another hotel on the far side of Pattaya owned by influential people from my own country before they caught up with me.The Tourist Police said they could do nothing until I was actually attacked! The girls are 'trained' to gather info on you. They get your cell phone no and your hotel room and the day you are flying home. The hammer comes down the day before you leave so that if you pay up you will not be around to start an investigation which would cost a fortune and probably lead nowhere anyway.I got away with this scam because I knew well connected people who helped. A silly mistake to make but a lesson well learned.

Any girl you will meet in Pattaya can be considered a working girl, no matter what lies they might tell you at first.

- I'm here on holiday.

- I have a summer break from school.

- I'm in-between jobs.

- I'm here to visit my sick relative.

If they are willing to talk with you, and spend time with you - they are working. The type of girls you are describing are known as freelancers and typically hassle free as long you pay them. It all boils down to money, they provide you service, spend time with you and want a pay-day. If you are looking to spend your holiday with one girl, best to make sure you pay them daily or agree on amount before hand. Most common is 1,000 baht a day + you pay for the activities and food. There's barely any "pimp" situations as described above, my best guess is that the girl got scared - thought she wouldn't get any money and got her family or boyfriend involved because usually it's in the girl's best interests to send the customer home happy to gain "recurring passive income" from Western Union transaction till your next trip over.

Any girl you will meet in Pattaya can be considered a working girl, no matter what lies they might tell you at first.

- I'm here on holiday.

- I have a summer break from school.

- I'm in-between jobs.

- I'm here to visit my sick relative.

If they are willing to talk with you, and spend time with you - they are working. The type of girls you are describing are known as freelancers and typically hassle free as long you pay them. It all boils down to money, they provide you service, spend time with you and want a pay-day. If you are looking to spend your holiday with one girl, best to make sure you pay them daily or agree on amount before hand. Most common is 1,000 baht a day + you pay for the activities and food. There's barely any "pimp" situations as described above, my best guess is that the girl got scared - thought she wouldn't get any money and got her family or boyfriend involved because usually it's in the girl's best interests to send the customer home happy to gain "recurring passive income" from Western Union transaction till your next trip over.

Mine was the pimp thing. They knew I wasn't the recurring passive income type.

My mate isn't into LB's and doesn't know I am. I went along with it for the last 3 days of the trip.

There were two girls,the other one was with my mate staying in a different hotel.He left the day before me and was 'met' as the taxi pulled into the airport and threatened.He handed over what he had but they wanted more. He was let go because they had me for another night. They would have made me cough up for his 'balance' plus wahever they felt I owed. I would have paid my girl under normal one to one circumstances but I wasn't meeting these guys. If I was still in my hotel when they called I would have had to buy my passport back! It was a set up for sure. I'm just posting this as a warning. Thailand is a dangerous place. Stick to the bar fine system,pay your bills and don't buy or deal in drugs.

Mine was the pimp thing. They knew I wasn't the recurring passive income type.

My mate isn't into LB's and doesn't know I am. I went along with it for the last 3 days of the trip.

There were two girls,the other one was with my mate staying in a different hotel.He left the day before me and was 'met' as the taxi pulled into the airport and threatened.He handed over what he had but they wanted more. He was let go because they had me for another night. They would have made me cough up for his 'balance' plus wahever they felt I owed. I would have paid my girl under normal one to one circumstances but I wasn't meeting these guys. If I was still in my hotel when they called I would have had to buy my passport back! It was a set up for sure. I'm just posting this as a warning. Thailand is a dangerous place. Stick to the bar fine system,pay your bills and don't buy or deal in drugs.

Generally GG and LB freelancers around Pattaya operate by themselves and not as an organized crime syndicate. Let alone they know the meaning, most of them don't think two days in advance - they are generally safe to go with. Fully agree with you that meeting the "pimps" isn't an option in this case, wouldn't even tempt to communicate - a phone number can be switched instantly and so can hotels overnight. But most likely as many scam attempts they only attempt those that seem easy targets:

- Customers that are first timers to Pattaya.

- Customers that are bound to leave soon.

A good rule of thumb is to remember you are meeting a stranger, and taking in a stranger into your world. It's best to be cautious. Will always remember the first night in Jakarta, went there with experienced nightlife trotters and hooked up with a group of GGs. Three of them told lies (been here 4 times before, staying for 2 months been here about 3 weeks now) while one of them got excited to be in a new place and told the truth (first time, just arrived staying 3 days). Three of us paid the local fee "hassle free" long time at 500,000 IDR (about $43,76) - The excited friend got into a lot of trouble and had a bad experience, the GG threatened with police and rape if the 3,0000,000 IDR (about $262,56) was not paid. Needless to say she ended up with 500,000 IDR and was thrown straight out of the hotel by hefty force ;)

Haven't heard of many extortion type of cases around Pattaya, but could understand most victims would feel ashamed to even share the story. Be curious to know more information such as; how much they demanded, how they tempt to communicate with their victims, did the girl participate in trying to steal your passport and such?

The case in Indonesia was dealt with directly and with force, think actually that's the way to do it. As soon the victim stops being an easy target.. they simply move on to the next one.

Generally GG and LB freelancers around Pattaya operate by themselves and not as an organized crime syndicate. Let alone they know the meaning, most of them don't think two days in advance - they are generally safe to go with. Fully agree with you that meeting the "pimps" isn't an option in this case, wouldn't even tempt to communicate - a phone number can be switched instantly and so can hotels overnight. But most likely as many scam attempts they only attempt those that seem easy targets:

- Customers that are first timers to Pattaya.

- Customers that are bound to leave soon.

A good rule of thumb is to remember you are meeting a stranger, and taking in a stranger into your world. It's best to be cautious. Will always remember the first night in Jakarta, went there with experienced nightlife trotters and hooked up with a group of GGs. Three of them told lies (been here 4 times before, staying for 2 months been here about 3 weeks now) while one of them got excited to be in a new place and told the truth (first time, just arrived staying 3 days). Three of us paid the local fee "hassle free" long time at 500,000 IDR (about $43,76) - The excited friend got into a lot of trouble and had a bad experience, the GG threatened with police and rape if the 3,0000,000 IDR (about $262,56) was not paid. Needless to say she ended up with 500,000 IDR and was thrown straight out of the hotel by hefty force ;)

Haven't heard of many extortion type of cases around Pattaya, but could understand most victims would feel ashamed to even share the story. Be curious to know more information such as; how much they demanded, how they tempt to communicate with their victims, did the girl participate in trying to steal your passport and such?

The case in Indonesia was dealt with directly and with force, think actually that's the way to do it. As soon the victim stops being an easy target.. they simply move on to the next one.

It wasn't my first time to Thailand but it was his. He was naive. No doubt about it.I'm not interested in one girl for anymore than an overnight and maybe the next day. He really thought he pulled. A victim of his own ego and being unaware of where he was. To be honest I was taken in myself, thinking the good time and free meals and drinks was enough. They had one hell of a night with us in the Pier. But then flashing lots of cash around gives the impression you are a lot wealthier than you actually are. I did find it strange they weren't asking for money on a daily basis. But then I wasn't used to this either as I'm a one night bar fine guy. What happened at the airport is vague. I don't blame him. What happens in Vietnam etc etc. Back home he is not one to mess with but he was messed with over there. From what I gathered at the time,the amount he paid her over the last day and at the airport was about 12,000 Baht. I think it was more myself but he won't discuss it. I was told that if I met them they would have taken my passport and God knows what they would have demanded to give it back. The girl he was with looked like Naomi Campbell. An incredible body and face. Same hair style as the real Naomi. Mine not quite as fabulous but young and pretty. I was left alone with both of them one afternoon in Mike Mall. We went for coffee and 'Naomi Campbell' really turned on the charm asking me lots about myself. Looking back now I realise she was assesing my worth. She was the 'boss' the other one was following. They made a mistake with me. My one got a call while we were in bed and jumped up suddenly,got dressed and told me she had to leave. She was told to leave. She nervously asked if I had any money. I gave her what was in my pocket. 2,000 Baht.

She said 'is that all you have'? and left. Then about a half hour later I got the call from the airport. By now he was through security and at the boarding gate.

I paid the girl at my reception desk to tell anyone that called that I had left for the airport. I then went to the Tourist Police at Walking St. They gave me an emergency no to call and assured me that my situation was logged and they would respond very quickly if I got in trouble. I then rang the other Hotel and sorted the room for the last night.The next morning when they found I was gone the other calls started. They didn't believe the receptionist's story I had gone home because I had given my girl too much information. They said they knew I was still in Pattaya and I would never make it to the airport. The owners of my new hotel sent for a high ranking Thai Police Officer. A woman. She personally took the last threatening call to my phone and stopped them in their tracks. I travelled back to the airport in a minibus with a bunch of guys from that hotel going home on the same flight. That was one of the longest days I have ever spent. I will be back but will never fall for that again! The mate will never go back but then he hasn't got the obsession with Ladyboys!

It wasn't my first time to Thailand but it was his. He was naive. No doubt about it.I'm not interested in one girl for anymore than an overnight and maybe the next day. He really thought he pulled. A victim of his own ego and being unaware of where he was. To be honest I was taken in myself, thinking the good time and free meals and drinks was enough. They had one hell of a night with us in the Pier. But then flashing lots of cash around gives the impression you are a lot wealthier than you actually are. I did find it strange they weren't asking for money on a daily basis. But then I wasn't used to this either as I'm a one night bar fine guy. What happened at the airport is vague. I don't blame him. What happens in Vietnam etc etc. Back home he is not one to mess with but he was messed with over there. From what I gathered at the time,the amount he paid her over the last day and at the airport was about 12,000 Baht. I think it was more myself but he won't discuss it. I was told that if I met them they would have taken my passport and God knows what they would have demanded to give it back. The girl he was with looked like Naomi Campbell. An incredible body and face. Same hair style as the real Naomi. Mine not quite as fabulous but young and pretty. I was left alone with both of them one afternoon in Mike Mall. We went for coffee and 'Naomi Campbell' really turned on the charm asking me lots about myself. Looking back now I realise she was assesing my worth. She was the 'boss' the other one was following. They made a mistake with me. My one got a call while we were in bed and jumped up suddenly,got dressed and told me she had to leave. She was told to leave. She nervously asked if I had any money. I gave her what was in my pocket. 2,000 Baht.

She said 'is that all you have'? and left. Then about a half hour later I got the call from the airport. By now he was through security and at the boarding gate.

I paid the girl at my reception desk to tell anyone that called that I had left for the airport. I then went to the Tourist Police at Walking St. They gave me an emergency no to call and assured me that my situation was logged and they would respond very quickly if I got in trouble. I then rang the other Hotel and sorted the room for the last night.The next morning when they found I was gone the other calls started. They didn't believe the receptionist's story I had gone home because I had given my girl too much information. They said they knew I was still in Pattaya and I would never make it to the airport. The owners of my new hotel sent for a high ranking Thai Police Officer. A woman. She personally took the last threatening call to my phone and stopped them in their tracks. I travelled back to the airport in a minibus with a bunch of guys from that hotel going home on the same flight. That was one of the longest days I have ever spent. I will be back but will never fall for that again! The mate will never go back but then he hasn't got the obsession with Ladyboys!

Thanks for sharing your story, it's an interesting read. Sounds like you got the heads up from your mate and took immediate action. It's really the way to deal with these type of situations. Flashing money around can cause and spike (unwanted) attention, watch the Pattaya news to see how many tourists get mugged for an exposed Gold necklace or happen to walk around with hundred thousands of baht in expensive handbags - it happens all the time. Would say Pattaya freelancers are generally safe, "simply" remember that the beautiful stranger is a working prostitute no matter what lies come out of her sweet mouth and have good time :)

Thanks for sharing your story, it's an interesting read. Sounds like you got the heads up from your mate and took immediate action. It's really the way to deal with these type of situations. Flashing money around can cause and spike (unwanted) attention, watch the Pattaya news to see how many tourists get mugged for an exposed Gold necklace or happen to walk around with hundred thousands of baht in expensive handbags - it happens all the time. Would say Pattaya freelancers are generally safe, "simply" remember that the beautiful stranger is a working prostitute no matter what lies come out of her sweet mouth and have good time :)

Yes I agree it is 99% safe. Their whole livelyhood depends on it.

There will be isolated cases like mine but they are quite rare.

But people should be aware that trouble is lurking.

Don't be reckless and stupid!

Now for the next visit!

Wow some scary stuff. Maybe I have been lucky but I take the philosophy . Book into a good quality hotel 4* upwards. Pay the right money, not too much but don't be a cheap charlie. Always pay bar fine. Best investment. Smile, be civil and never look pissed. Do not draw too much attention to yourself. Also hang around with BM's if you can.

Try to use the same group of bars as they will get used to your face as you are a repeat customer.

It is the wild west...............

Wow some scary stuff. Maybe I have been lucky but I take the philosophy . Book into a good quality hotel 4* upwards. Pay the right money, not too much but don't be a cheap charlie. Always pay bar fine. Best investment. Smile, be civil and never look pissed. Do not draw too much attention to yourself. Also hang around with BM's if you can.

Try to use the same group of bars as they will get used to your face as you  re a repeat customer.

It is the wild west...............

all that is a complete waste of time and money if you take a nutter or druggie .  :handplant:

Odotor

Same experience back in late 90's

My wife wanted to see a show. We also went to an upstairs bar in Patpong and watched the show.

Many staff asked my wife for a drink and, as was her habit not to follow advice, she offered numerous drinks.

Finally I said that we were leaving - the bin arrived for 6,000 Baht.

My wife, slightly intoxicated, said we should refuse to pay the bill and became very indignant - she was never in the wrong.....

I pointed to the 2 larger Thais and said "do you want to spend the rest of your vacation in a hospital?"

Paid up and left.

Moral of the story - I should have let my wife refuse to pay the bill.

That alone would have saved me a fortune in the long term.

Same old scam after all these years ... first time in Bangkok in 87 the local Thai shop owners warned me about this scam. Left for Pattaya soon after and have never been back to Bangkok.

Odotor

Same experience back in late 90's

My wife wanted to see a show. We also went to an upstairs bar in Patpong and watched the show.

Many staff asked my wife for a drink and, as was her habit not to follow advice, she offered numerous drinks.

Finally I said that we were leaving - the bin arrived for 6,000 Baht.

Happened to me as well on my very first trip to Bangkok in 89 on the second day.  At the time I thought I was the first person to ever be scammed as in those days there was no internet! I even considered cutting short my trip. But then I found Nana Plaza and felt better and met a Dutch bloke in Pattaya who I told the story to and he laughed and said it happens to lots of people! 

All good advice in the thread. It should be required reading the day before a trip just to remind oneself of what "might" happen.

There is no law that says you have to run a tab at these bars. They WANT you to run a tab so they can over inflate it. Here is how I manage my bar tab.

1) I don't start one for the most part. Some times I do though. Avoid it. They will whine and bitch. So what?

2) If i'm with a group then we split up the tab into 2 or 3 different tabs. Much more manageable to read and remember.

3) I pay off my tab about every hour or so even if it looks like i'm going to stay at the bar. Just say "I might leave soon" or "My friend called and we are going to meet at place X soon". Then stay. "I changed my mind cause you are so fucking awesome."

4) Carry a shit load of small money! We run tabs cause all we got is big money right? well, always carry small money. I am constantly breaking down big money and it is a fucking hassle. Any time i am at a store where it's not that busy, it's daytime and the people are not out right trying to screw me that is a time I'll pay with big money to get small money. My favorite spots are the gas stations on the highway to pattaya. zero scam potential and they got a ton of $ to break big money. frequently people say "oh i got no small money to give you". bullshit. I say "sorry I guess it's free". I'm always opening the bottles or the packages before i hit the register. 

5) If you have got more than 5 drinks each it's time to pay the bill. once you start doing this it's easy. the harder they push back on this behavior the more you know they are trying to scam you. set an hourly alarm on your watch. ignore it if it doesn't fit but, some times it'll remind you "oh, yeah....the fucking tab is getting bloated".

If you come to LOS and pay twice as much is the place really that cheap? Why be scammed when you can win? Play the game and win. Every penny you save is a penny to put to your next trip. over a twenty year period that is easily one free trip to LOS.

I need reading glasses. I never leave the hotel without them cause I'm going to have to dissect those fucking receipts maybe. 

Easy marks encourage fraud. Don't encourage fraud through laziness or naiveté.

Be a fucking man with your money. 

There is no law that says you have to run a tab at these bars. They WANT you to run a tab so they can over inflate it. Here is how I manage my bar tab.

1) I don't start one for the most part. Some times I do though. Avoid it. They will whine and bitch. So what?

2) If i'm with a group then we split up the tab into 2 or 3 different tabs. Much more manageable to read and remember.

3) I pay off my tab about every hour or so even if it looks like i'm going to stay at the bar. Just say "I might leave soon" or "My friend called and we are going to meet at place X soon". Then stay. "I changed my mind cause you are so fucking awesome."

4) Carry a shit load of small money! We run tabs cause all we got is big money right? well, always carry small money. I am constantly breaking down big money and it is a fucking hassle. Any time i am at a store where it's not that busy, it's daytime and the people are not out right trying to screw me that is a time I'll pay with big money to get small money. My favorite spots are the gas stations on the highway to pattaya. zero scam potential and they got a ton of $ to break big money. frequently people say "oh i got no small money to give you". bullshit. I say "sorry I guess it's free". I'm always opening the bottles or the packages before i hit the register. 

5) If you have got more than 5 drinks each it's time to pay the bill. once you start doing this it's easy. the harder they push back on this behavior the more you know they are trying to scam you. set an hourly alarm on your watch. ignore it if it doesn't fit but, some times it'll remind you "oh, yeah....the fucking tab is getting bloated".

If you come to LOS and pay twice as much is the place really that cheap? Why be scammed when you can win? Play the game and win. Every penny you save is a penny to put to your next trip. over a twenty year period that is easily one free trip to LOS.

I need reading glasses. I never leave the hotel without them cause I'm going to have to dissect those fucking receipts maybe. 

Easy marks encourage fraud. Don't encourage fraud through laziness or naiveté.

Be a fucking man with your money.

Some good advice there I found short changing a problem in some places particularly in I bar and marine I only really noticed towards the end of the trip god knows how much I got short changed over the duration but u aren't as aware when your bevvied. I know next time what I'll be doing next time is visiting as many booths a night and changing 1000s and 500s into 100s if it means carrying 50/60 notes round with me then so be it .

There are a group of Filipinos (women), they run round the bars asking for money for the orphanage, they carry a leaflet which is laminated and in English. Avoid like the plague. 

Cheers Fenton

I really don't believe the claims that some members have been scammed or been cheated by a girl in Thailand. Too easy for an ex boyfriend to make false allegations :)

I used to think that a few scams occurred, but after extensively reading the forum, I've been informed that, no it didn't happen, there are two sides to every story and most of the time ex boy friends are stirring the shit to falsely accuse a former GF.

But I DO believe every story about farangs stealing cell phones, not paying the girls and accusing girls wrongly :)

There are a group of Filipinos (women), they run round the bars asking for money for the orphanage, they carry a leaflet which is laminated and in English. Avoid like the plague. 

Cheers Fenton

as soon as they approach you get your phone out and say I want to

take your picture , they usually run off immediately .