thaidave

Eat healthy in Pattaya

Rate this topic

Great initiative Dave!

Since you seem to have jumped on to the 'super food' band wagon, isn't cacao the biggest fraud in healthy foods?

It would have been nice if chocolate was healthy tough.

http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/is-raw-cacao-really-healthy/

http://stirringchange.com/raw-cacao-hype-vs-science/

What kind of cinnamon are you using?

http://www.med-health.net/Cinnamon-Powder.html

I read reports like these and yes there are conflicting reports and it made me chuckle when the person in the cacao report says the cacao growers are saying its great and eat as much as you like because they are greedy and making huge profits from it, what have coca cola, mac,d's, etc etc been bombarding us with for yrs and yrs.

they make things taste great, why we love them so much, why we are so unhealthy and now they say a natural food is the same.

I read reports and who knows what is true, I read many bad things about whole foods, foods that help cure this and that and the medical profession and pharmaceutical company's often rubbish them, of course they will they stand to loose so much from us knowing too much.

The reports mention although Cacao has some benefits high amounts are not so good same as high amounts of coconut oil, I have not mentioned high amounts so I guess in moderation is the key, same as drinking wine, as for the cinnamon, who knows where it comes from even if it is printed on the label but again talks about large amounts so I think its up to you to decide whether to stick with coke, Mac'd's and all the other stuff they call food.

I see many guys who eat pretty much all processed food, even those who come to Pattaya and will not eat Thai food because they dont know whats in it, they mean it has not come out of a packet or tin, the same guys often smoke and drink huge amounts of beer, do any bars warn against drinking excessive amounts of beer because they are concerned with your health.  

Not sure who has suggested drinking high amounts of coconut oils, please let me know the health organisations who advise against it, I would like to read their reports as I am still in the study stages of the whole thing I have read a lot and not come across anywhere that says do not drink high amounts, not that I intend to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

Look forward to sampling your health foods next year.

Edited by LWFM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil

Look forward to sampling your health foods next year.

They dont advise against it the report the pro's and cons, there are also differences between coconut oil for cooking and extra virgin and the main point suggests not to take high amounts.

They dont advise against it the report the pro's and cons, there are also differences between coconut oil for cooking and extra virgin and the main point suggests not to take high amounts.

Under.........

Health

Many health organizations advise against the consumption of high amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat, including the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2]World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5]American Dietetic Association,[6]American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada.[9]

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid—a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.

Under.........

Health

Many health organizations advise against the consumption of high amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat, including the United States Food and Drug Administration,[2]World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5]American Dietetic Association,[6]American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada.[9]

Coconut oil contains a large proportion of lauric acid—a saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels by increasing the amount of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.

Most official health organisations recommend against it, but new wave "health practitioners" such as Joseph Mercola advocate it.

Which isn't surprising, given he has a direct vested invest in doing so.

Both sides can produce conflicting reports and studies, which is the case for ... pretty much everything so far in health and nutrition.

Unfortunately there's no real clear answer, but I'm a definite skeptic about the alternative views as they are generally presented by people marketing their own products or their industry. Then again, some people claim the health organisations have been corrupted by lobbyists too but I'm not buying that just yet.

Great initiative Dave!

Since you seem to have jumped on to the 'super food' band wagon, isn't cacao the biggest fraud in healthy foods?

It would have been nice if chocolate was healthy tough.

http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/is-raw-cacao-really-healthy/

http://stirringchange.com/raw-cacao-hype-vs-science/

What kind of cinnamon are you using?

http://www.med-health.net/Cinnamon-Powder.html

Biggest fraud?

What about acai berries? :)

Or did you get ripped in just 2 weeks without diet and exercise too?

Most official health organisations recommend against it, but new wave "health practitioners" such as Joseph Mercola advocate it.

Which isn't surprising, given he has a direct vested invest in doing so.

Both sides can produce conflicting reports and studies, which is the case for ... pretty much everything so far in health and nutrition.

Unfortunately there's no real clear answer, but I'm a definite skeptic about the alternative views as they are generally presented by people marketing their own products or their industry. Then again, some people claim the health organisations have been corrupted by lobbyists too but I'm not buying that just yet.

I agree with you  .... I am open minded but my Doctor has the final say. Everything in moderation is key  :)

I agree with you  .... I am open minded but my Doctor has the final say. Everything in moderation is key  :)

The only problem with that is your doctor may, in fact, be wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'll believe a medical professional with years of training over pseudoscientific babble about "superfoods" but the reality is even doctors don't have a solid understanding of what is right and wrong in this area.

Many different doctors have conflicting opinions, and this is typically exploited by both sides selectively cherry picking only medical professionals that agree with their chosen perspective as sources in their "research".

Until I see any actual solid, incontrovertible evidence I'm sticking with the status quo myself. 

I would agree somewhat with the Dr point but not necessarily here in LOS, the neurologist had to Google what I have as he had never heard of it so take it as you will, with modern internet you can read between the lines and often I cant agree that that natural foods are bad for you, ok you still have to know a bit about what your eating and moderation is key as been said before but I am convinced changing to mostly natural foods and drinks over fast & processed foods has to be the way to improve health.

I guess its down to the individual and what you believe to be true.

This topic can go on and on about whats good and whats not so, its not rocket science to know the health is in natural foods and drinks, sure the medical profession should be considered, after all after so many years and so many Billions of $$$$$$ of trying to find a cure for cancer they seem no closer and yet we are eating more and more fast processed food.

Drs are trained to treat conditions but not so much emphasis on prevention after all if we were not sick they would be out of business as for the pharmaceutical companies as mentioned before.

The debate goes on but I know the way I intend to go as for the last 3 months I have changed my diet and feel the effects and am sure in the long term will benefit my condition.

have u got new menus Dave? and is there info posted on them about what ur selling I cant take in all this info on here... Regards Garry

Yes we have whats on offer in the menu now, a few teething troubles but am keeping up with it, have the healthy breakfast with Kefir milk and yogurt, also Kefir mile bottles to take away, we have juices like kale, broccoli, and mixes of them with fruit juices, also soups with Carrot, onion, garlic, Turmeric, ginger, Cinnamon, coconut milk, also with seaweed.

more to come.

I can thoroughly recommend the soups.

You can also get side dishes of beef lard and double cream.

I'll dip your nose in it you Munke

Many health organizations advise against the consumption of high amounts of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat and Lauric acid.

Hello WWFM I dont petend to be an expert in this area. I have only really being taking it seriously for the last year but I have done a lot of reading and met and spoke to poeple in the fitness and nutrition industry. My understanding from the info I have garnered and Im not stating this as a fact but as an opinion is that Coconut Oil is a very good source of fats which the body does need contrary to what we are led to believe.. Cococnut oil as you have suggested been slated in the past because it contains saturated fats. However new data suggests that saturated fats are harmless and the whole artery clogging idea is a myth.  Now hydrogenated oils and trans fats are especially unhealthy because both raise ldl or lethal cholesterol while lowering our healthy cholesterol which happens with nearly all the processed cooking oils you buy in your local supermarket hence coconut oil getting a bad rap. Coconut oil in its purest form which is the one i consume is not hydrogenated and contains no trans fats.

Coconut oil doesent contain your average run of the mill saturated fats but it contains medium chain triglycerides which are metabolised differently than  the normal long chain fatty acids found in most other fats people consume on  a daily basis. Medium Chain fatty acids gop straight to the liver from the digestive tract where are they used as a quick source energy or turned into so called ketone bodies which supposely according to the latest research can have a therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilesy and alzheimers.

I do have experience though of coconut oil in increasing your energy expedniture ie increasing your meatabolic rate and burning more fat and helped in improving my body composition in the last 12 months. Remember many of the health organisations that demonise coconut oil (and high protein diet) is another example are the same organisations that in the 50s found a link between heath disease and fat consumption so they decided that people should radically change their diets which up until this time was a relatively high fat high protein low carbohydrate diet and switch to a low fat high carbohydrate diet that most people in developed countries consume today. The result an obeisity epdimic in the western world that is out of control. The perception is that all fat is bad for you thats simply not the case. Their are healthy good fats and it so happens that cocnut oil is probably the best one of all.  I hope I dont come accross as a preacher or that I know it all and if I do I apologise mate. Its only an opinion and only carries the same weight as anyone elses opinion and that includes your opinion. I have no qualifications in this area what so ever.

Hello WWFM I dont petend to be an expert in this area. I have only really being taking it seriously for the last year but I have done a lot of reading and met and spoke to poeple in the fitness and nutrition industry. My understanding from the info I have garnered and Im not stating this as a fact but as an opinion is that Coconut Oil is a very good source of fats which the body does need contrary to what we are led to believe.. Cococnut oil as you have suggested been slated in the past because it contains saturated fats. However new data suggests that saturated fats are harmless and the whole artery clogging idea is a myth.  Now hydrogenated oils and trans fats are especially unhealthy because both raise ldl or lethal cholesterol while lowering our healthy cholesterol which happens with nearly all the processed cooking oils you buy in your local supermarket hence coconut oil getting a bad rap. Coconut oil in its purest form which is the one i consume is not hydrogenated and contains no trans fats.

Coconut oil doesent contain your average run of the mill saturated fats but it contains medium chain triglycerides which are metabolised differently than  the normal long chain fatty acids found in most other fats people consume on  a daily basis. Medium Chain fatty acids gop straight to the liver from the digestive tract where are they used as a quick source energy or turned into so called ketone bodies which supposely according to the latest research can have a therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilesy and alzheimers.

I do have experience though of coconut oil in increasing your energy expedniture ie increasing your meatabolic rate and burning more fat and helped in improving my body composition in the last 12 months. Remember many of the health organisations that demonise coconut oil (and high protein diet) is another example are the same organisations that in the 50s found a link between heath disease and fat consumption so they decided that people should radically change their diets which up until this time was a relatively high fat high protein low carbohydrate diet and switch to a low fat high carbohydrate diet that most people in developed countries consume today. The result an obeisity epdimic in the western world that is out of control. The perception is that all fat is bad for you thats simply not the case. Their are healthy good fats and it so happens that cocnut oil is probably the best one of all.  I hope I dont come accross as a preacher or that I know it all and if I do I apologise mate. Its only an opinion and only carries the same weight as anyone elses opinion and that includes your opinion. I have no qualifications in this area what so ever.

And the least I could do LWFM is spell your bm name ocrrectly correctly. Sorry mate as you can see from the article above spelling or typing is not my strong point.

I use only coconut oil or Olive oil both extra Virgin of course when cooking at home, it is not only healthier but enhances the taste and knowing either are beneficial makes it worth while, also drinking coconut water here in LOS is very easy and cheap and good for the natural electrolytes you loose from sweating, 

AAAA Small coconut-water-chart-3.jpg

And the least I could do LWFM is spell your bm name ocrrectly correctly. Sorry mate as you can see from the article above spelling or typing is not my strong point.

I have heard about what you are saying, even from American heart surgeons and decided several months ago not to take my Lipitor medication. Later my very good Doctor told me that he was aware of the opposite claims and advised me against it. I have been for 2nd and third medical opinions.  Now I am back on the Lipitor after they all said that there is far far more Data supporting the current medical thoughts on the subject. I know my Doctor is very good as he saved my Dad's life in March when he had food poisoning ... another Doctor he was seeing about it fucked up BIG time.  Anyway the banter was interesting.   Cheers.