• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Doyle Lonnegan

Doyle Lonnegan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Runnin the Rackets...Bookmakin....past postin....high stakes poker games....the odd heist...ya follaw

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:31 PM

Just wondering  how permanent residents  in LOS are covered and insured medically, especially the under 50s who are not on retirement Visa, and doing the 3 month Visa run....i am pondering a move in the next couple of years.

#2 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

I do not bother with it. I have had 2 hospital operations in 21 years. The cost of the first one was about 180,000 baht and the sond involved less in patient time and was about 150,000. You work out the annual cost of insurance over that period of time and it is more if you have any decent amount of cover.
If you do go for insurance shop around and find out which companies the big hospitals will accept. I have seen people paying cash up front and then claiming it back later because the hospital would not take direct payment from the insurance company.

Edited by lbshagger, 27 March 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#3 anders11

anders11

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:living and ladyboys

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Bangkok bank have a good policy for accident and illness, only a couple of thousand bath

#4 360

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

Take a look at Bupa's Thailand health insurance product. They've tailored it based on the local lower medical costs.

This guy put together a good summary of the available options: http://donslifeintha..._Insurance.html

• sammysanook likes this

#5 sammysanook

sammysanook

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Take a look at Bupa's Thailand health insurance product. They've tailored it based on the local lower medical costs.

This guy put together a good summary of the available options: http://donslifeintha..._Insurance.html

Thanks for that link 360...seems like some good info there!

#6 popenyung

popenyung

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts
  • Interests:Er. Motorbikes. Being opinionated.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hi mate,

I have had BUPA for 6 years, and it has good coverage at most of the major hospitals. What you want is one where you are covered from the get-go, and not looking to claim after. Bupa obviously does the bigger international hospitals in BKK, as well as the Bangkok Hospital chain pretty well nation wide. (Check: it takes a while for them to audit new hospitals). 

It covers me for 1 million USD worth of hospital, as well as repatriation of my corpse. Lovely!

For those of you that don't have any medical insurance and ride scooters or motorbikes? You're fucking idiots. Sorry but you are. A week in hospital can cost around 210,000 baht plus surgery, X rays etc. If I didn't have medical issuance I wouldn't ride motorbikes.

• Doyle Lonnegan likes this

#7 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

210,000 baht a week just for the stay, treatment extra, which hospital do you use. Next time I getvrun over I will make sure they do not take me there.

#8 popenyung

popenyung

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

You might not get the choice depending on where you get scraped off the pavement, whether you are conscious, and who the ambulance has a deal with.

Bangkok Hospital (Chain) charges about 30K a night for intensive care. Sao Paulo in HH is about the same, but not BUPA friendly.

If you want to take your chances with your local general hospital it is of course your choice.

#9 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Get scraped off the pavement in Pattaya after being knocked senseless and you will more than likely get Pattaya Memorial. Cheap and cheerfull. Thats where I got taken, full anesthetic operation to screw my pelvis back together and 1 month stay for the hip muscle to heal cost 150,000 all in. Not my first hospital of choice but private room, edible food and the best thing was the bed baths. Second stay at 180,000 wss Bangkok Hadyai, weeks stay including surgery, but I guess it does depend on how badly you get knocked up. I just added up the yearly cost of insurance for how long I have beeb here and looked at how much I have had tp spend and if I had insurance I would have paid a lot more in the long run. I do howcever not ride motor bikes or take part in any dangerous sports so consider myself low risk.
  • popenyung likes this

#10 popenyung

popenyung

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Get scraped off the pavement in Pattaya after being knocked senseless and you will more than likely get Pattaya Memorial. Cheap and cheerfull. Thats where I got taken, full anesthetic operation to screw my pelvis back together and 1 month stay for the hip muscle to heal cost 150,000 all in. Not my first hospital of choice but private room, edible food and the best thing was the bed baths. Second stay at 180,000 wss Bangkok Hadyai, weeks stay including surgery, but I guess it does depend on how badly you get knocked up. I just added up the yearly cost of insurance for how long I have beeb here and looked at how much I have had tp spend and if I had insurance I would have paid a lot more in the long run. I do howcever not ride motor bikes or take part in any dangerous sports so consider myself low risk.

Good answer. Its very much horses for courses I agree. if I were under 40 and didn't ride motorbikes, and if I had an escape route to home in Aus (Such as a home and assets and health insurance there) I would probably not bother with top of the range insurance. As it is I am in my early 50's and my work is classed as a dangerous occupation, and I have no links to home. So its one less issue for me to worry about. 

My insurance through BUPA is part of my wage package, I negotiated it and I intend to keep it, as with BUPA once you hit 60 if you have insurance with them they guarantee to keep you on the books.

Good to hear your story above though. You certainly couldn't get that level of treatment in most countries at that price.

#11 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 10,232 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I’ve had both work & personal world-wide coverage for Bupa for years. If you’re an existing customer then there should be no issue in extending your cover for LoS if you move there.  B)

#12 t3tsu01

t3tsu01

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

POPULAR

i took April insurance.

600 $ a year (i'm 37 in good health) and i'm covered 100% with no need to advance money
i took my insurance at axiom in pattaya (realty and insurance) 

Axiom Group  

216/100 moo 10 

Renu House Bldg B.
South Pattaya 3rd Road, 
Nongprue, Banglamung 
Chonburi 20150 Thailand 
Tel. (66) (0)33.008.011 
Fax. (66) (0)38.415.797

• Mr. Bickle, Solice and Doyle Lonnegan like this

#13 Doyle Lonnegan

Doyle Lonnegan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts
  • Interests:Runnin the Rackets...Bookmakin....past postin....high stakes poker games....the odd heist...ya follaw

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

i took April insurance.

600 $ a year (i'm 37 in good health) and i'm covered 100% with no need to advance money
i took my insurance at axiom in pattaya (realty and insurance) 

Axiom Group  

216/100 moo 10 

Renu House Bldg B.
South Pattaya 3rd Road, 
Nongprue, Banglamung 
Chonburi 20150 Thailand 
Tel. (66) (0)33.008.011 
Fax. (66) (0)38.415.797

thanks for info.

#14 Mr. Bickle

Mr. Bickle

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Interests:enjoying my life-new experiences-lb's-soapy massages-football-good company-laughing-the occasional wind-up-M.U.F.C.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

yeah some good info on here....i think bupa is a little out of my price range tho,....i'm just looking for insurance for when i'm in thailand..Not cover for a full year,for .approx 5 months.Anyone on here have that sort of cover ,or know of any?

#15 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,335 posts
  • Interests:Selectively Censored

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

yeah some good info on here....i think bupa is a little out of my price range tho,....i'm just looking for insurance for when i'm in thailand..Not cover for a full year,for .approx 5 months.Anyone on here have that sort of cover ,or know of any?

I use the site below and just pick one.  You can set the dates for when you want to be covered, too

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Edited by Tony Soprano, 11 October 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#16 Mr. Bickle

Mr. Bickle

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • Interests:enjoying my life-new experiences-lb's-soapy massages-football-good company-laughing-the occasional wind-up-M.U.F.C.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

I use the site below and just pick one.  You can set the dates for when you want to be covered, too

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

Thanx tony,i'll check it out........

#17 ausman7

ausman7

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

You don't really know what your insurance cover is like until you need to make a claim .
  • bangkok113 likes this

#18 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,335 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

You don't really know what your insurance cover is like until you need to make a claim .

One thing you can be sure of is an insurance company insures they'll find any reason they can to not pay a claim.

I've talked to several expat BM's and they din't have health insurance. Unless you have some illness that requires a lot if outpatient visits, you'll pay less in doctors visits than you will in premiums. And if it's some illness you had before getting insured, they probably won't cover it anyway.
I went to an insurance broker today to get some info. This would just be for hospital insurance. I'd already gotten several quotes from websites like nowcompare.com. At 66 years old some won't even cover you. I'm in good health, but I'm thinking about motorbike taxi accidents or walking buy a construction site and something falls and hits me in the head. Not likely this will happen, IMO, but possible. Anyway he told me about a good plan for about $2700 a year. I'm dropping my work insurance after I go back to the US 17-25 October and that will save me $1200 a year so out of pocket will actually be $1500 a year. There's actually a possible cheaper plan, but that company split in 2 and the broker said their having issue's getting that company to back up their quotes. Even if I drop my work insurance, I'll still have Medicare A & B in the US for visits there.
I told the broker I'dbe at the end of the month so I have some time to decide.

Any thoughts?

#19 hailbritania

hailbritania

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:35 PM

i like to have something with an evacuation/search and rescue option.

so, i get dive insurance. great coverage even if you are not diving your are just trekking or driving around in nowhere-ville, whatever.

check it out at

Why You Need DAN Scuba Diving Insurance - Padi

other options too just do a google search on travel insurance.

don't be stupid though, your local ins. won't cover shit and in the LOS if you don't have $$$$ or legit insurance they are not going to do much for you. 

you wanna be laid up in pattaya for 6 months or flown straight to home in 2 days?

you make the call.

#20 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,335 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

i like to have something with an evacuation/search and rescue option.

so, i get dive insurance. great coverage even if you are not diving your are just trekking or driving around in nowhere-ville, whatever.

check it out at

Why You Need DAN Scuba Diving Insurance - Padi

other options too just do a google search on travel insurance.

don't be stupid though, your local ins. won't cover shit and in the LOS if you don't have $$$$ or legit insurance they are not going to do much for you.

you wanna be laid up in pattaya for 6 months or flown straight to home in 2 days?

you make the call.

All the plans I looked at include evacuation and arent local companies. The broker just finds plans for you. they aren't his plans. You can easily find independant reviews on them also. The company that split in 2 was underwritten by Liberty Mutual, before the split. A top insurance company in the US. I started researching this months ago. Now that I have the 1 year visa, I got a little more serious. May still not get any for maybe the 2nd year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users