#1 hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Interests:ladyboys

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I know it's only a drop in the ocean but be careful if your going to use the cash machine at the 7-11 closest to central festival on left hand side if walking from central festival I used it earlier and stupidly forget to get my card because the sequence is different than the UK ones anyway somebody has took my card and tried it at different cash machines accross pattaya also putting the correct pin in I literally emptied all my cash out an hour earlier so they didn't manage to get anything luckily but this cash machine is dodgy especially as they knew my pin WTF little cunts

#2 hughjass85

hughjass85

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

Camera mounted above where you key the pin in.

Always cover your hands when you enter your pin mate. 

#3 Rinzler

Rinzler

I got a ladyboy pregnant

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts
  • Interests:Thai ladies
    80s nostalgia (music, video games, etc...)
    Big tits

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I, once forgot my card at an ATM on Soi 7. Went to a restaurant across the street. We sat down and a complete stranger came up to me and handed me my card. I was very grateful.

• AlexP and popenyung like this

#4 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

I always use ATMs within bank branches and still cover the keypad when entering PIN. Those freestanding ones dotted around Pattaya always look as if they're operated by a Thai inside it ! Worth noting for first-time visitors is that you receive your card back after the cash is dispensed - the opposite of UK ATMs. The first time I used one I thought I had lost my card, but it startled me and the message has, so far, stuck.

Edit: Spelling (I'm a pedant like DC !)

Edited by Slacker, 29 April 2014 - 06:42 PM.

• Hello Katoey and Ghost Of Steptoe like this

#5 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 11,904 posts
  • Interests:Same as the rest of ye!

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

I've also left a card outside the exchange opposite Pook Swan...went back 20 minutes later and someone had handed it in to them.  B)

• laptop and popenyung like this

#6 popenyung

popenyung

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts
  • Interests:Er. Motorbikes. Being opinionated.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

Good to hear something nice about Thailand for a change (Rinz and Petesie) 

Even in dirty old Patts there are still plenty of good honest people.

#7 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

it is so easy to walk away without your card when you have got your money !
Did it twice in one weekend ! Machine usually eats your card and then you have
to go and ask for it rather sheepishly !

#8 PURE

PURE

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:LBs, Pattaya

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

I found a card in the Kasikorn ATM at Central Maul, I had seen the young fellow that used it right before me, so I chased him down. Guess I'm not friendly looking because I thought sure he was preparing to be aggressive until I waved the ATM card. Next time I'll turn it into the bank.

#9 Devman

Devman

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

I always use ATMs within bank branches and still cover the keypad when entering PIN.

Worth noting for first-time visitors is that you receive your card back after the cash is dispensed - the opposite of UK ATMs. 

Same with me re covering and what ATMs I use.

A couple of years ago, I walked away from an ATM (in Pattaya Tai outside a bank) without taking my card. It was evening and quite quiet. I realised about 5 minutes later and went back and the card wasn't there.

I went to the bank the following day and they said that the card and been sucked back in by the ATM (which happens automatically if the card is not taken after a certain amount of time). However, they couldn't give it to me - I had to apply for a new card.

#10 hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

Yes I initially thought mine had been sucked back in until I spoke to my bank on the phone and they said it had been tried 6 times at different ATMs accross pattaya after I made my withdrawal little fucking tramps

#11 AlexP

AlexP

LB Mogul

• Root Admin
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

Always cover your pin code with your hand / wallet. Remember they don't need your card when a skimming device has been applied to the machine. Apply bank limit(s) / maximum transactions a day and have several bank accounts. Learned the lesson the hard way, 10.000 baht was skimmed from my card. Another good tip is to use mobile banking apps. When you lose your card, you can still check your balance instantly and call the bank in case unauthorized withdrawals are being made. 

#12 hubert_cumberdale

hubert_cumberdale

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Always cover your pin code with your hand / wallet. Remember they don't need your card when a skimming device has been applied to the machine. Apply bank limit(s) / maximum transactions a day and have several bank accounts. Learned the lesson the hard way, 10.000 baht was skimmed from my card. Another good tip is to use mobile banking apps. When you lose your card, you can still check your balance instantly and call the bank in case unauthorized withdrawals are being made.

How does skimming work exactly? I'm just one lucky fuck I didn't have any cash got paid the next day though

#13 Bart Fitz Monty III

Bart Fitz Monty III

LB Mogul

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Had my card skimmed once,  found out by bank calling me when back home and someone was trying to buy a car in Vietnam !!! checked banking since leaving Los and they had taken over £900 from account, luckily for me i had departed at times of withdrawals so bank replaced money and cancelled debit card. 

#14 LadyboysRock

LadyboysRock

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:00 AM

How does skimming work exactly? I'm just one lucky fuck I didn't have any cash got paid the next day though

http://consumerist.c...like-on-an-atm/

Edited by LadyboysRock, 06 May 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#15 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,251 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

I sort my money out for the day and the evening, straight after breakfast. Then return to the room put what I don't need back in my cash box and lock it in the safe. Never keep your eggs in one basket ;-). Skimming is everywhere, not just Pattaya, only use cash machines in banks and heed the advice of previous posters.

Cheers Fenton

• boyo likes this

#16 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts
  • Interests:The good, the bad and the ugly of Thailand.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:57 AM

These cunts can now even walk past you and skim your card ... 100% true.:( Carry T/C. :)

Edited by LWFM, 06 May 2014 - 01:09 AM.

• 360 likes this

#17 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,251 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:12 AM

LWFM, is that NFC card your on about, you can get a special wallet (like a slim cigarette case) which stops them from doing that.

Cheers Fenton

#18 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts
  • Interests:The good, the bad and the ugly of Thailand.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Yes I have one, when I told my brother he just said bullshit, noway they can do this ... we both have advised BMers that may not be in the know, whether they believe is up to them. :)

#19 Huahin

Huahin

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

Its "good" to see that I'm not the only idiot who has done this mistake with ATM machines here in Thailand. For over 15 years I have brought friends and family from Norway to Thailand. And always before we enter the country I give them a brief 5 min talk about what to do and what NOT to do. And on top of that list I ALWAYS tell them to make sure they take out the card from the ATM after they take the money. Because in Norway the sequence is different from here. In Norway and i guess most countries you have to take out the card before you can get the money. And when you remove the card you will get a huge text telling you to take the money combine with a sound warning. But here in LOS its the opposite, you get the money and then the card. So after a few weeks back in Norway I came back in early April to Pattaya. And the first time i used my visa card my mind was still in Norway. I was in a hurry and when I got the money in my hand my head said that the sequence was done, so i run away. Not long after I understood my mistake and run back to the ATM machine close to Soi Diana. but the card was gone. I called my bank instantly and they told me even if i got the card back either from the Bank owner of the ATM machine I used or the Police. They recommended i still closed my card and asked for a new one. Because lately the skimmering of cards in Asia has gone rocket sky high. 

#20 Robi_slo

Robi_slo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:25 AM

On average I forget my Kasikorn ATM card at least once per trip and I had no problems with someone stealing my money. In fact every time I forgot ATM card in ATM there was great story behind it... B) On my first incident I was told once Kasikorn card is swallowed by ATM they are automaticaly going to be destroyed and you have to get new Privilege Member card. Passport, bank book and few 100 THB and you are good again in few minutes.

Talking about Thai honesty; I left keys of my brand new rented 150 ccm Honda PCX in my scooter when I went to McDonalds with my friend on my last trip. It was just past the entrance to Walking Street at 10am and when I came back my scooter was parked on the other side of the road between motorcycle taxi scooters and my keys stored in safe place. I guess motorcycle taxi drivers are not that bad after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users