656 replies to this topic

#641 Blodstrupmoen

Blodstrupmoen

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

First, Blodstrupmoen thank you and credit to you for sharing your story on this thread...I hope this doesn't come across as trivial, but very brave of you, brother...you have offered a tremendous service and help to everyone on the board

There is now an anti-viral that *may* cure Hep C in some people, but it is not cure all

Early stage, so may also not fully understand how it affects body, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about it to be honest, just know there is a cure. So no idea about what sort of percentage of people taking it are actually cured but as far as I remember it is quite high.
I have gotten pretty tiered about following developments even about hiv so honestly don't care much about hepatitis either.
These days I just take my daily pill and go see the doctor every 3-4 months, a visit that usually last about 10 minutes. Just get my latest test results which always are excellent then I'm out of the door. I guess I have kind of lost interest in the whole subject and now find hiv a piss boring subject.
I'm still here for support if any BM finds himself sitting with a paper saying positive. So for anyone in that situation just shoot off a PM. It won't be the first and probably not the last time it happens.
But I think I will stay off most future discussions on the topic.

#642 Zoonie the Lazoon

Zoonie the Lazoon

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  • Interests:Bog snorkelling, professional gambling, becoming a sybarite, cooking dogs, extreme ironing, waterboarding, squirrel hunting, dominoes, vexillology, yodelling, collecting milk bottles, catching pigeons, knobbing, flying kites, selling pegs

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:35 PM

I don't know much about it to be honest, just know there is a cure. So no idea about what sort of percentage of people taking it are actually cured but as far as I remember it is quite high.
I have gotten pretty tiered about following developments even about hiv so honestly don't care much about hepatitis either.
These days I just take my daily pill and go see the doctor every 3-4 months, a visit that usually last about 10 minutes. Just get my latest test results which always are excellent then I'm out of the door. I guess I have kind of lost interest in the whole subject and now find hiv a piss boring subject.
I'm still here for support if any BM finds himself sitting with a paper saying positive. So for anyone in that situation just shoot off a PM. It won't be the first and probably not the last time it happens.
But I think I will stay off most future discussions on the topic.

While a `cure` would be a breakthrough. I understand that those infected will have normal life expectancy if they take the ART  pills every day. Also, the latest research seems to indicate, that if your viral load is `undetectable` then your chances of passing on the virus in unprotected sex is approaching zero (and may even be zero). Wonderful advances in science...only the social stigma remains. 

#643 Blodstrupmoen

Blodstrupmoen

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

While a `cure` would be a breakthrough. I understand that those infected will have normal life expectancy if they take the ART  pills every day. Also, the latest research seems to indicate, that if your viral load is `undetectable` then your chances of passing on the virus in unprotected sex is approaching zero (and may even be zero). Wonderful advances in science...only the social stigma remains. 

There are so far no recorded incidents of someone with a stable undetectable VL ever passing on the virus. 

The cure I mentioned above was for hep C not hiv. 

And yes as you say the biggest problem for people with hiv that has access to the meds is the stigma. The health issues are minor. 

For myself I'm in the shape of my life and I would bet I am healthier that most on this forum. 

I don't think the stigma attached to hiv will go away any time soon though. It just ain't something there is a focus on. 

In my own country there are never any thing said about hiv in news papers or any media except from on the world AIDS day and then it's basically just some articles about how bad it is in Africa or what ever. Never a word about how good the meds are these days or that people on meds are not infectious, or any other info relevant to people living in functioning societies where the meds are available. Scare mongering is still the name of the game. 

• Zoonie the Lazoon and opps1 like this

#644 killacam91

killacam91

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:17 AM

Better than nothing I guess. But in my experience I took two in a row and non of them showed the confirmation line clearly and I was indeed hiv positive at the time. I have also meet other positive people who had the same experience. 

Those rapid HIV tests are excellent for peace of mind. If the solid line is shown clearly for non-reactive , then you can be certain of your negative status provided your last exposure was 3 months or greater. If you see faint lines anywhere or multiple lines, then you should be rightfully concerned and need to do a follow up blood test.

Just want to thank you for being so frank with us. People are quick to judge for reckless behavior, not realizing that heat of the moment situations and inebriation really fucks with your sense of judgment.

I feel like I could very well have been in your shoes. It only takes one exposure. I myself slipped up and played risky on one occasion with a hot Latina TS here in NYC. I had anxiety for weeks  afterwards and it wasn't relieved until I had a full blown sti panel. I haven't given up lb's but I move a lot more carefully now and I hardly drink alcohol these days.

#645 Ronald25

Ronald25

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

I'm in Pattaya soon would like to know the steps required to get PrEP. Can you just go to the hospital and ask for it? And buy it in their pharmacy? Or do you need to get a appointment with a doctor? And do you need to prove you don't have HIV already? Thanks

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

#646 gympy

gympy

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

POPULAR

I'm in Pattaya soon would like to know the steps required to get PrEP. Can you just go to the hospital and ask for it? And buy it in their pharmacy? Or do you need to get a appointment with a doctor? And do you need to prove you don't have HIV already? Thanks

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

You most definitely have to see a doctor. I doubt you'll find anyone, even in Thailand, who will just sell you Truvada. I know you can buy antibiotics, anabolic steriods, ED meds and so on from pharmacies there but I really doubt you'll get Truvada, at least I hope not.

You should really try to do this in your home country if at all possible, as you need to do blood tests and they need to be 100% sure you are HIV negative. You also need to start taking it at least 7 days before any possible exposure.

If you cannot get it prescribed in your home country then at least get a HIV test so that you can bring that result to the hospital in Thailand. They will want to do their own tests (they do a kidney function test as well and will probably test for Hep B antigens) but if you have previous recent test results showing you are negative and you have had no possible exposures since the test it may speed up the process. If you don't, they may want you to wait and do a second test in a few weeks so they can be certain you are negative.

Taking Truvada if you were HIV positive would be potentially very damaging for your future treatment so they need to be very sure you are negative. This is not something you should take without proper medical supervision.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk
  • lbshagger, Blodstrupmoen, Ronald25 and 1 other like this

#647 Zathras

Zathras

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:19 AM

Taking Truvada if you were HIV positive would be potentially very damaging for your future treatment so they need to be very sure you are negative. This is not something you should take without proper medical supervision.

Why??

I know several HIV+ people that take Truvada daily as part of their treatment.

#648 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:59 AM

POPULAR

Why??

I know several HIV+ people that take Truvada daily as part of their treatment.

Truvada on its own can help prevent the virus taking hold. Hence it is recommended for PrEP. If the virus has already taken hold then Truvada on its own will not suppress it. Current recommendations are for triple drug cocktails as a minimum, Truvada on its own contains just 2 drugs. I take it with an additional drug, Edurant as part of my triple drug ARV regime. The danger of taking it on its own when you have HIV already would be that you could end up with a mutated version of the virus which is resistant to the drugs in Truvada. This is not desired as one or both of the drugs in Truvada are used in several other combinations and any resistance could render those pills useless. Not a good situation to be in. 

That is why PrEP should be controlled by doctors, tests before and whilst taking it to make sure it has worked and the person taking it does not pick up and start spreading a drug resistant strain of HIV. PrEP is an excellent thing in my opinion, the medical science is sound but the let down will be the end user, someone ordering his pills online or from a beach road salesman with no monitoring.   

• Rambo2201, gympy and Blodstrupmoen like this

#649 Rambo2201

Rambo2201

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:15 PM

I usually take a rapid HIV test when I'm in LOS not only because of convenience, walk in off the street, but also the financial cost is a pittance. After reading some of the posts above I'm just wondering am I wasting my time, as in getting a negative result when in fact could be positive. Just that there's conflicting reports that the equipment used in LOS isn't the greatest. I remember getting the same test done at home and the health worker was adamant that it was as good as 100% accurate. I think this question might have been asked before so apologies, just can't seem to find it.

#650 opps1

opps1

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:36 AM

POPULAR

I usually take a rapid HIV test when I'm in LOS not only because of convenience, walk in off the street, but also the financial cost is a pittance. After reading some of the posts above I'm just wondering am I wasting my time, as in getting a negative result when in fact could be positive. Just that there's conflicting reports that the equipment used in LOS isn't the greatest. I remember getting the same test done at home and the health worker was adamant that it was as good as 100% accurate. I think this question might have been asked before so apologies, just can't seem to find it.

You are not wasting your time if you do the quick test faily regularly, like at least once or twice a year, because even if one test gave you a false negative, the next time you took the rapid test it would probabaly be out of the 3 month window and most likely show the true result, so even if one test was wrong and you had been positive for a 6 months or a year at that point if you are otherwise healthy it would be unlikely that your cd4 would get down to dangerous levels, so you could just start the process to get ARV meds at that point without any major issues.

On my dark day I did a quick test that the clinic said was 'inconclusive weak positive' or something and I was advised to go and test at a hospital which I did and this confirmed a positive result. My cd4 at that point was 411, so slightly down on the normal range but not terrable or life threatening. If that quick test had come back fully negative, obiously I would have done nothing at that point, but would have probably done another quick test 6 months or so later and that would have picked the positive result up, maybe my cd4 would have droped a little in those 6 months but certainly not to a risky level (below 200).

IMO you have a sensible approach, it would be good if everyone took the same approach as you.

• Rambo2201, Podrick and joeytaco109 like this

#651 Rambo2201

Rambo2201

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for your reply opps1 , all good information. It's so much easier and convenient to do that test in LOS than it is where I'm from.
  • opps1 likes this

#652 TNT84

TNT84

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:56 PM

http://www.medicalda...rus-body-409443

Interresting reading indeed.

#653 ThaiTwong

ThaiTwong

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:59 AM

I'm thinking about taking PrEP before my visit in November, am I being too paranoid even if I don't ever plan on bareback etc? I wouldn't mind trying bottoming but eh, seems riskier so PrEP would give me peace of mind. Expensive in the UK tho, can only get it private prescription 400 quid a bottle although there is a clinical trial coming soon and I might apply for it and just claim to have BB sex semi-often with guys or something to make sure I get on it 555.

#654 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:43 AM

https://www.sciencen...-hiv-antibodies

They are finding interesting things all the time.

Could there be a use for the HIV virus once it has been tamed? for example cancer spreads through the body through the lymph nodes.  Imagine if the virus could be tweaked to attack the cells and thus stop cancer spreading around the body?

Edited by fenton, 20 October 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#655 Zathras

Zathras

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:12 AM

Scientists find where HIV 'hides' to evade detection by the immune system

https://medicalxpres...mmune.html#nRlv

Things are looking better all the time.

I have seen a program where the virus has been tweaked to seek and destroy other aliments.

#656 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:59 AM

Here is another link to recent news. Not a cure as such but less frequent pills and elimination of the immune system inflamation caused by small amounts of the virus always being produced.

One day they will get there I am sure.

http://www.miamihera...e179386676.html
  • anoninpattaya likes this

#657 Kira_love

Kira_love

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

What did you feel when you found out about  it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users