It was hard to find this info on here especially since you can't search for the letter words - HIV.
You have 72 hours to get this medication into you if you think you have been exposed. The problems:
1. Not many options in Pattaya. Many in Bangkok.. Best and cheapest being thai red cross
2. General GPs cannot prescribe you this medication.. And they are not qualified to assess you anyway
3. Can only buy this medication from hospital (i have not read that any pharmacist sells it and my ground search from the most resourceful pharmacies resulted in nothing)
4. Very very expensive.. And is said to have tough side effects, although the newer medicines have less so
5. There is no test to determine if you should or shouldn't take PEP. This is because you have only 72 hours (ideally within hours of exposure) - no tests work in such a short time (there is a rapid test which gives kind of rough estimates but it takes a week wait before the test can be taken). And symptoms don't show till weeks later (acute hiv symptoms). The funny thing is GP just say wait 7 days to get tested and then manage from there.. Uhmm then it will be two late
Now the main thing... If you are in Pattaya then you don't want to take a journey to bkk for this perhaps. There are four places that do prescribe PEP medication in Pattaya
1. Bangkok hospital - i have read that the cost is 6-7000 thb including consultation and medicine
2. Pattaya international.. Same as above
3. Memorial hospital.. 3000 thb including consultation and medicine.
Medicine is taken for 28 days same time of day.. Do not stop or your hiv will be strong enough to mutate and not respond to other further treatments... You need to take all 28 days. Again taking pep for 28 days is not a guarantee that your hiv will not take hold (maybe your white cell count was already previously low and the hiv took a quicker hold; maybe the strain you have does not respond to the peps that you have been given).
This might be one good reason for blood test.. To get idea of strain (not sure how that works). The peps that are usually recommended are recovir-em (200/300mg..Two medicines in one) and edurant 25mg.
The best best thing to do is to ask the lb who you think infected you to go to testing clinic with you. Even if you have to pay her St/LT again. This way you can firstly find out if there was a risk of catching hiv and if so what strain she had. I cant begin to tell you how crazy the LBs are. Of the many many i have been sexual with they have always assumed we are doing everything bare back.. Just imagine.. It's only a matter of time before they all become carriers. I always bag up but do do bareback oral sex.
Next if you are in two minds whether or not to take pep then i would say it is a no brainer that you should do it. Even oral sex, which has the lowest risk infection is around 2 percent chance. Now take your entire life's earning and future earnings + non monetary things like family/friends/gfs, etc and try and put a monetary value to them.. Them multiply all that by 0.02 .. And if it comes to more than 3000 thb then go to memorial hospital and get those peps.
And if you want another incentive then probably you can take more risks while on peps because probably your body is not favorable place for any new hiv infections to create copies of themselves.
Good luck, happy mongering, stay safe and please don't let alcohol and drugs impair your judgment. Because eventually you may be able to stop drugs and drinks but you may still want and do things when sober that give you the high of things you did when under the influence (speaking from personal experience). Normal things (eg. Sex with gg) will never be exciting enough.
Appreciate you taking the time to post this, you never know if one of us may need it at some point!