#21 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts
  • Interests:Selectively Censored

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:16 AM

I went to HH by taxi and they took us all the way. Then a few days later, came picked us up and brought us back all

the way.  I didn't arrange the taxi so I don't know who they were.  One of the three LB's I went there with did that.

it's too dam far by the road, taxi or isn't there mini-buses that make the trip?

There's some pretty big air boat ferries these days that can land on a beach.  But how many people want to go

between HH and Patts a day/  I have no idea

#22 steve1915

steve1915

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:44 AM

With respect Mr T used to take me there and back for 3000 baht each way , i am in the process of finding another taxi company at this moment , in fact one of geff carters latest vidios he went direct with a private taxi and filmed it .
The journey in a private taxi is around 4 hours +or- 20 mins or so . A private taxi is quicker than a mini van because the driver can skirt around bkk , where as a mini van takes 5 hours or more because they take small detours for scheduled pick ups and the drive through the middle of bkk . Night mare .
A ticket from pattaya in a mini van will cost 800 baht if you buy from a booth or 400 baht if you go directly to the mini van station .
I will post all my findings in my trip report on my next visit to LOS starting 16th dec
  • Tony Soprano likes this

#23 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

Theres an excellent luxury coach service from Patt to Phuket ...Overnight sleeper seats with toilets / videos and catering 

There must be a service to HH ....or trains maybe ?

Have to say that a 4 hour daytime Ferry ride pier to pier , would be a winner for me if it was a good vessel and safety was in place .

#24 Thatllbeme

Thatllbeme

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you go to the hideaway and ask Andy to get in touch with panda who used to work there, her husband owns a taxi business and should be able to get you a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 10:57 PM

Theres an excellent luxury coach service from Patt to Phuket ...Overnight sleeper seats with toilets / videos and catering 

Have to say that a 4 hour daytime Ferry ride pier to pier , would be a winner for me if it was a good vessel and safety was in place .

Pier to pier on a high speed ferry should be about 2 hrs and 20 min approx.
No luxury coaches at the moment but minivan about 400b - from naklua end of 2nd road.

#26 kathoeyfan

kathoeyfan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • Interests:Anything pretty on 2 legs

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:13 AM

There's a train from bkk to hua hin. Can't remember how long it takes, slept the whole way. Maybe a few hrs? One of the bkk pros would know the mrt station where the train station is.

If can ferry across from patts to hh, in a modern vessel, I'd give it a try.

#27 Kendo UK

Kendo UK

-

• 10,036 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

I think the train can be about 5 hours from BKK to Hua Hin.

• kathoeyfan likes this

#28 mardhi

mardhi

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:47 AM

A ferry service does not stand a chance of being a success (i.e profitable).    Can't think of a single ferry route anywhere that is a viable proposition when a competing road is in place, doubling the options.  The fuel alone is huge competitive disadvantage versus subsided gas going into road vehicles.

Samui etc only work as there is no bridge.    Freight won't use it as gas is extremely cheap per KM as are wages for drivers.    Cheaper to drive and will win every time for everyone except a few tourists.    However not enough tourists going between the two points plus the docks would be miles away from Pattaya and Hua Hin respectively.   3 hours 30 minutes it took me last week from my doorstep in Pattaya to the hotel lobby in Hua Hin.   I'd hate to think how long a boat would take on same door to door basis.

It's a nice romantic notion but complete dud financially.  

Edited by mardhi, 18 November 2016 - 05:47 AM.

• boyo and LordJim like this

#29 Youngone

Youngone

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:57 AM

There's a train from bkk to hua hin. Can't remember how long it takes, slept the whole way. Maybe a few hrs? One of the bkk pros would know the mrt station where the train station is.

The fastest one takes about 4 hours and goes from Hua Lamphong station ( very close to Yaowarat/Chinatown).

I believe this ferry route has been tried a few times before and failed financially every time...

#30 kwan

kwan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,717 posts
  • Interests:The Ladymen of Jomtien

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:16 AM

POPULAR

Attached Images

• HH.jpg

• petesie, insearchofxxx, LurSaluces and 1 other like this

#31 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

If can ferry across from patts to hh, in a modern vessel, I'd give it a try.

Morning train at 8 am gets there in 3 and a half hours. Very nice trip too.

#32 spunk bubble

spunk bubble

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:07 AM

There are, or at least were a few months back, services to Cha-Am - H.H. and beyond leaving from Pattaya's main  bus station. Lots of trains to H.H. from Bkk of course. 

#33 soidog

soidog

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:expect the unexpected

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:42 AM

Just noticed on  Thai visa forum this morning it has been announced that the cost of the ferry to H.H starting in January 2017 will be 1200b each way duration of crossing approx 90 minuets.

Prior to the official launch date the  Royal Passenger Liner Company who are operating this service are offering free trail for 2 or 3 days, to test the service.  But these days are yet to be announced.

Departs saphan pla pier H.H. 08.30 hrs

Departs bali hai pier pattaya 15.30 hrs.

These times may change, starting off with 1 ferry 150 passengers, depending on its success / popularity may add a bigger vessel for 262 passengers. no mention if they will take cars or motorbikes.

One of you clever chaps may like to post the Thai visa link for all to peruse . I am to thick to do such clever stuff.

rgds soidog     

#34 Essex Boy

Essex Boy

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:50 AM

Just noticed on  Thai visa forum this morning it has been announced that the cost of the ferry to H.H starting in January 2017 will be 1200b each way duration of crossing approx 90 minuets.

Prior to the official launch date the  Royal Passenger Liner Company who are operating this service are offering free trail for 2 or 3 days, to test the service.  But these days are yet to be announced.

Departs saphan pla pier H.H. 08.30 hrs

Departs bali hai pier pattaya 15.30 hrs.

These times may change, starting off with 1 ferry 150 passengers, depending on its success / popularity may add a bigger vessel for 262 passengers. no mention if they will take cars or motorbikes.

One of you clever chaps may like to post the Thai visa link for all to peruse . I am to thick to do such clever stuff.

rgds soidog     

http://www.thaivisa....ree-trial-perio

• soidog likes this

#35 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts
  • Interests:The good, the bad and the ugly of Thailand.

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:05 AM

No way a ferry can do 110 Klms in 90 minutes  ...  bring your own life jacket.

#36 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

No way a ferry can do 110 Klms in 90 minutes  ...  bring your own life jacket.

They can!
eg. the Stena catamarans made 40 knots, 74km, that's roughly 1.5 hours for 110km.
And in Argentina, a catamaran ferry went recently in service, capable of 58 knots... that would be roughly 1 hour.

#37 steve1915

steve1915

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

I will be in hua hin for new year and travelling back to pattaya early jan , if the ferry is up and running i might just give it a go
Pics and report after journey, if its running by then that is

#38 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 10,566 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

They stated the speed for the ferry will be 27 kmh. 

#39 Ddutchguy

Ddutchguy

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:14 PM

To get from Pattaya to Hua Hin or return in 90 minutes they need a speed of 73 Km. Better get a Bangkok taxidriver to pilot the boat. Then they might make it.

#40 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

555 so the typical Thai style, bought as scrap metal, painted and brought into service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users