42 replies to this topic

#1 adogs

adogs

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

one of my mates thinks this is one of the oldest tricks in the book and it happened to me last year, wanted to know if its happened to anyone else.

was actually in bkk sukhumvit rd,a guy, maybe english or australian, asked if i spoke english,then said his wallet got stolen last night and asked if he could borrrow some money for phone credit to call his mum for a western union transfer he only just arrived yesterday which seemed strange hes already  bought a thai phone, gave him the benefit of the doubt and only 200 baht incase he was full of shit.

heard a guy was doing it in pattaya a while ago too ?

#2 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:48 AM

I had it from a guy years ago on Sukhumvit road. I helped by directing him to the embassy. Not quite what he was after. People have been trying it on for years. The thing is, we expect the locals to try it but not foriegners. I should imagine a few people get caught with their gaurd down.

#3 SecondChance@Life

SecondChance@Life

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,336 posts
  • Interests:Football, Travel, and living life to the fullest.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:04 AM

This is one of the oldest scams. I do twenty questions like I was a Dutch immigration customs officer (eventually if they are lying the lie becomes unravelled once you hit them constantly with questions -where you from what address when did you arrive in BkK take me to you friend what's his name etc). Many times after the first ten they get pissed and give up.

In the US its either a man or woman saying their car is broke down a couple blocks from here and the other parent is watching the kids and they need either food gas or both. Nowadays they will actually produce a family whereas before its just a lie. If their story checks out after 20 questions I give tbh. Mercy shown mercy given that kind of thing.

But i think for some people they have just gone to begging. Twice at the big gas station I fill up with I've seen the same lady ask for gas money. She drives and old big truck but she doesn't give a story I think she just thinks if she asks enough people that one will fill up her tank and she acts like she has other s*** to do. No shame, no story. Society devolving here anyway....

Sorry for the threadf**k. Ultimately if you want to give 100 baht to help them do it out of kindness or don't. Not up to you to confirm. Karma is a bitch is he's lying.

Edited by SecondChance@Life, 23 June 2015 - 06:07 AM.

• trocks69 likes this

#4 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,803 posts
  • Interests:The good, the bad and the ugly of Thailand.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

I have been asked plenty of times for money in Pattaya at open bars  ...  backpackers and those running out of money just want to stay longer in Thailand so they come up with Scams.

• david1977 likes this

#5 singletony

singletony

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:29 AM

Something similar happened to my old man in Barcelona but this guy was pretending he was the old bill. They stole his wallet and brought shit loads on his credit card
I always carry a free hundred baht in my pocket so if I do get asked and I'm in a generous mood then I don't even have to touch my wallet

#6 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,507 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:08 AM

His wallet stolen "last night", with all his money and credit cards???
... would be tempted to tell him: serves you right, if you go out at night with all your funds.

Will happen more and more, the number of guys living here permanently of 20-30k is increasing day by day and then it is getting hard for a Falang.

#7 soidog

soidog

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Interests:expect the unexpected

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

POPULAR

nothing to do with stolen wallets. last year European chap was working a scam on soi buakhow . the sob story was..... the  ATM had just eaten his credit  card, needed to phone home as he had just heard about some bad news. please help me only  100b to top up phone. okay, sounds plausible. but by his some what dishevelled appearance and my gut feeling I said NO. move on 5 days same guy approaches me again soi buakhow same story. this time FUCK OFF. if you are going to tell lies and pull stunts it helps if you have a good memory. rgds soidog   

• david1977, bayhill and patnya like this

#8 bob2011

bob2011

Ladyboy Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:43 AM

POPULAR

I'd have said "use my phone to call for help", then dialed the number for him. Hand him the phone and grab hold of the back of his pants and belt before he runs off with your phone!

Bob
  • odotor, insearchofxxx and Analyzer like this

#9 Ancientkarma

Ancientkarma

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

I took a friend to WAT PO ,it was his first visit to los,coming out of the place he was approached by a fat western girl who told him her shoes had been stolen ,could he give her money to by a new pair......now this guy was a quarter Scottish and a bit careful with his hard earned.....he asked her where she was staying and said he would get a motor bike taxi to deliver a pair to her.best laugh I d had for ages.

#10 Kerbcrawler

Kerbcrawler

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:Blowing tunes on the ladyboy flute

Posted 30 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

Yes I've been asked 'you speak English?' Several times around soi 5 on Sukhumvit over the last year. His accent appeared Scottish.

I always apply the same theory in LOS in that if you haven't met them in a bar then their trying to scam. I just ignored him. Same goes for the beggars and them black geezers in this part of town.

#11 Chicarito1974

Chicarito1974

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

I was eating in a restaurant on Surin beach Phuket a few weeks ago with my lb friend when a monk strolled by stopped and started to speak to me in Thai. I managed a swadee krup and Mai chow chaoi and turned to my friend for help she looked slightly embarrassed but said he wants to get a bus to Bangkok but he doesn't have money. I found it strange a monk asking for money but I handed him 200 baht just to be nice. Then he starts talking to my lb friend again and she answers back. Iv no idea what's been said but eventually he takes out a piece of twine ties it around my wrist blessed me and walks on.
Turns out he told my friend a bus ticket costs 500 baht.
She told him up to him how much for bus ticket but your not getting any more money. She realised at this stage he was a conman and was surprised initially he even asked for money but when he wanted more she knew he was
a conman posing as a monk. My lb friend was shocked and embarrassed by his behaviour. Talking to the restaurant staff he does this fairly regularly.

Edited by Chicarito1974, 30 June 2015 - 07:22 PM.

• youngroy33 and bayhill like this

#12 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 9,762 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

POPULAR

Confucius say...tell dodgy Monk to fuck off.  :angry:

• jimbo34, Ghost Of Steptoe, sharap12 and 1 other like this

#13 oldlover

oldlover

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboys.
    ladyboy cocks.
    big ladyboy cocks.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

I once caught MRs Oldlover looking through my wallet  --  hey what are you doing I said  --  she replied I am looking for some 10 baht coins for the baht bus as I have only got 2 one thousand baht notes.
So I took one of the 1 thousand baht notes off her and gave her three 10 baht coins, she as not put her fingers in my wallet since. :)

• youngroy33 and true gent like this

#14 jimbo34

jimbo34

His Grumpyness

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Confucius say...tell dodgy Monk to fuck off.  :angry:

Same answer is the Jimbo standard response to people with "official" documents stating they're collecting for charity, old ladies selling Buddha trinkets, flower vendors (all ages), in fact just about every cunt that taps my fucking shoulder during the evening when i'm trying to have a chat with friends at the bar.
Rememember: LoS = Land of Scams
  • david1977 and bayhill like this

#15 kwan

kwan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts
  • Interests:The Ladymen of Jomtien

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

Over 20 years ago on my first visit to Bangkok I was approached on Sk.Rd by dapper little Thai man dressed in khaki shorts and shirt. After shaking my hand and relieving me of about 50 Baht he stuck a small metal badge into my shirt that declared I was now a "Boy Scout of The World" I kept the badge till I left England 5 years ago. Should have brought it with me really.

Attached Images

• boy_scout_happy_hour.jpg

• jimbo34 and youngroy33 like this

#16 LBK

LBK

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

I found it strange a monk asking for money but I handed him 200 baht just to be nice.

A Buddhist told me a monk would not ask for material things.

If a monk asks me for money, I help them find their way back to the holy path :Angel With Star:

#17 Jimmy_Lovepants

Jimmy_Lovepants

Common as Muck

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,785 posts
  • Interests:wet patches
    ferret husbandry

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

A Buddhist told me a monk would not ask for material things.

If a monk asks me for money, I help them find their way back to the holy path :Angel With Star:

Whether genuine or not, most of the travel books warn women not to trust the monks in Thailand .. Randy incorrigible chasers of skirt apparently. Well you gotta laugh.

#18 LBK

LBK

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

If a monk asked for money to pay for a barfine I would give to him.

The money that is.

#19 Ray UK

Ray UK

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Interests:LBs beer fishing and LB s

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

I never give to tourists in bars I have heard it all before if they are really fucked then go to the Police or the Embassy. I do give 10baht to cripples now and then. I do give to bfs as it goes to a good cause .

#20 Banach Space

Banach Space

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:LBs & MCs

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:56 AM

I never give to tourists in bars I have heard it all before if they are really fucked then go to the Police or the Embassy. I do give 10baht to cripples now and then. I do give to bfs as it goes to a good cause .

bfs ?? you mean barfines ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users