#1 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 13,120 posts
  • Interests:Same as the rest of ye!

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

POPULAR

They’re at it again...

A mate who was new to Patts was just done over by them; I did warn him before he went but his kids were badgering him for a ride on them.

They take photo’s before you go out and when you return it’s a different set of pics you get shown from earlier; once the bunfight starts the tame BiB is sent for, he advises to settle or it will result in a court case and your departure delayed.

This was done in front of the Central Mall and unfortunately my buddy didn’t know the Police Station was right next to it.

He did get the figure demanded down substantially but even though it didn’t ruin his holiday it was briefly upsetting for him & his family.  :angry:

If you really must make sure you take your own pics and record conversations. If the feckers start the nonsense insist on going straight to the Police Station (send family members away first) and do not hand over your passport to anyone! 

• Turk182, Nick Bullseye, Samoja and 1 other like this

#2 odotor

odotor

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

POPULAR

When do they finally get rid of those scammers. I know the police is busy to find shisha smoking criminals now.

I heard one story of a guy who did it right. He rented a jetski in Soi 8/9 area and he actually had an accident, he hit a rock. He didn't go back to the renter but went all the way down to Bali Hai Pier and deserted the vehicle. A classic case of a scammer scammed.

How much did they extract from him?

O.

• insearchofxxx, Hello Katoey and bangkok113 like this

#3 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 13,120 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:42 AM

They started at 30k & after mucho haggle it came down to 15.  :ph34r:

#4 jimbo34

jimbo34

His Grumpyness

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

I guess the Pattaya thugs are copying the Phuket ones. This nonsense has been going on for years.

What i can't understand is why people still hire the bloody things ! The scams are all over the media now. Thai authorities steadfastly refuse to ban them (brown envelopes of course) so let market forces put them out of business. Just don't rent the bloody things.

• American Eagle likes this

#5 stallion79

stallion79

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:16 AM

Had at least 10 different guys hawking at me to rent these things last month. I have no interest in being scammed, hence I have no reason to rent a jet ski.

#6 Brussh

Brussh

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Interests:Admirer. skyscanner, Agoda, Mr T taxi, Showers, Moto taxi and Beautiful girls with incredibly large Clits

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:44 AM

Seems like it could be a lucrative business for an honest BM to get into. One of the second things I wanted to do in Patts was rent a jet ski.
I shall instead donate my hard earned cash to the poorly clothed local girls instead

#7 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

I have witnessed it twice in Pattaya. The first time was with and expat, they were after 50,000 Baht but he got it down to 5,000. That was years ago, I guess they would never drop that much now, it was still relatively knew then. Even the hawkers on the beach joined in to back up the scammers. No police turned up. 

The second time surprised me though as they picked on a Thai teenager who could only afford half the rental price so they knew she had no money. It was very brazen, the jet ski owner asked an older guy what to do about ripping her off. The older guy accused her of hitting his boat, which she never did. They were only after 1000 Baht from her though. My partner stepped in and told her not to pay as it was a regular scam and the girl called her parents, at that point I decided it was time to make a get a way before they turned their anger on me. But it did go to show they do not discriminate, they rip off local and farang, just the numbers are different.

#8 Picaflor011

Picaflor011

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

I like the idea of wrecking one and then ditching it, maybe piss on it too.
  • jimbo34 likes this

#9 kathoeyfan

kathoeyfan

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,633 posts
  • Interests:Anything pretty on 2 legs

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Thanks petesie, hope at least one person can avoid this scam. Have owned jet skis in the past and don't understand the appeal to ride them in Pattaya. Especially the endless documenting of obvious scams involving them.

#10 Thaiman12

Thaiman12

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think it's ok to hire them.

Just take your own set of photos, with the Hire Guy in them. Happy Tourist and all.

All good, just like always remembering to establish a price before undertaking any services in Patts.

Unfortunately, buyer beware, just like anywhere.

#11 Samoja

Samoja

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

They’re at it again...

A mate who was new to Patts was just done over by them; I did warn him before he went but his kids were badgering him for a ride on them.

They take photo’s before you go out and when you return it’s a different set of pics you get shown from earlier; once the bunfight starts the tame BiB is sent for, he advises to settle or it will result in a court case and your departure delayed.

This was done in front of the Central Mall and unfortunately my buddy didn’t know the Police Station was right next to it.

He did get the figure demanded down substantially but even though it didn’t ruin his holiday it was briefly upsetting for him & his family.  :angry:

If you really must make sure you take your own pics and record conversations. If the feckers start the nonsense insist on going straight to the Police Station (send family members away first) and do not hand over your passport to anyone! 

100% agree - ALWAYS take photos!!!....also license plates or registration nr

also when renting a car, moto bike or anything else and ASK for their mobile/cell number and send them copy photos with eventual descriptions; even in the case they erase the photos, you can always prove you sent them.

#12 Guest_P&G_*

Guest_P&G_*

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

These scams have been pointed out in the lonely planet guide for à long time.

Don't make photos. Just don't ride à jetski.

#13 Devman

Devman

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

POPULAR

I think it's ok to hire them.
Just take your own set of photos, with the Hire Guy in them. Happy Tourist and all.

All good, just like always remembering to establish a price before undertaking any services in Patts.

Unfortunately, buyer beware, just like anywhere.

Not even this is failsafe.

One of their tricks is to put filler into a hole which dissolves in water. The jetski looks OK when you set off, but you come back with a hole in it.

My advice would be NEVER hire a jetski in Pattaya unless you know you can trust the owner (unlikely).
  • petesie, insearchofxxx, Xiam and 2 others like this

#14 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 13,120 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:07 AM

Good shout Devman.  B)

#15 Hello Katoey

Hello Katoey

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:18 AM

The scam is so well entrenched, it is not worth renting a jetski. Even if someone tried to open up a jetski operation, I bet the BIB would want tea money if they weren't scamming customers. I thought the military were meant to be stopping this sort of thing??

It gives so much bad press about LOS, I can't understand why TAT are so toothless in controlling these industries.

#16 LL Cool Dave

LL Cool Dave

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,441 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboys, ladyboys, and some more beautiful ladyboys.

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:31 AM

Thought this was about Chech tourists. I had the same thing on Jetski's and bikes in Corfu, it's standard fare at tourist spots unfortunately. Only difference was the guy who rented the bikes sent his cop brother round to collect his fraud money.

#17 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

Here we go again.. Always post this when it comes to this discussion.. they will never get my hard earned cash..

• kathoeyfan and American Eagle like this

#18 vincent law

vincent law

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:53 PM

Had one of those Jetski fuckers today at patong beach ask me 'why I no have hair' after I turn him down. Maybe because I shaved it you illiterate dumb fuck!
  • jimbo34 likes this

#19 Ray UK

Ray UK

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:LBs beer fishing and LB s

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

Some hotels even warn guests off the jet ski scum bags ,I thought they had cleaned it up with the rest of the beach ,seems they left the trash behind to ruin more holidays.Before it is said low season is to blame.... dont bother...

Edited by Ray UK, 29 July 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#20 stallion79

stallion79

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

Would be nice if maybe a reputable guest house or hotel opened up a jet ski rental that vacationers could trust. Probably impossible due to organized crime though.
  • Slowguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users