LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

Pavements 

overhead electric cables 

road crossings

Recently a cable had broken and came down and killed someone,  few years ago a falang stepped on a ground plug in Phuket outside ocean plaza and killed.

How no one has broken a ankle with the pavements is beyond me. 

Does anyone stop when your stood at a level crossing ? 

just to name a few 

How can the local goverments allow such bad day to day shit,   if this was in any other western country they been sued each and every day. 

#2 Hello Katoey

Hello Katoey

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

How can the local goverments allow such bad day to day shit,   if this was in any other western country they been sued each and every day. 

I think you might have answered your own question there, It is not a western country. You could have all these niceties  but it all costs money, so LOS would be much more expensive. The governments don't really care about the people as much, well they don't have to since they can get away with it as the average person is pretty powerless to change it, and also ignorant that things could be built to a higher standard. Just keep your wits about you and  the upside is you get cheaper prices for hookers and food etc.

#3 Banach Space

Banach Space

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:LBs & MCs

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Pavements 

overhead electric cables 

road crossings..............

just to name a few 

so now you compare Thailand to Great Britain or USA which is home for the largest bank in the world or Germany which has the 2nd largest !!!

to answer the question: in the western world people pay taxes. How many people pay taxes in Thailand

Have you been to Russia?? The world largest country and with huge economy has the worst roads in whole Europe, apart from the High way that connects Saint Petersburg to Moscow. and very few other roads!!! Just like in Ukraine which is poor.....Roads in Poland and 3 times better than in Russia !!

Edited by Banach Space, 22 August 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#4 FYE

FYE

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Not comparing los to western places so prob bad choice on words but seriously the state of somethings surely there must be some building regs that they must comply with ?

#5 Kendo UK

Kendo UK

-

• 10,317 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

Because Bill Gates posted a picture of social media mocking the state of Thai cabling, all of a sudden it's all systems go to get this stuff tidied up a bit and moved underground.

On a recent break to Hong Kong, it took some getting used to that when the green man was flashing, it was safe to cross the road.  :Phew:

• FYE likes this

#6 Solice

Solice

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,967 posts
  • Interests:WWW.sensationsbar.blogspot.co.uk/

Youtube.com - scotts thailand

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:57 PM

POPULAR

I think if Thailand wants to progress then they need to have a decent form of taxation system. It seems that if you are a small business then its up to you if you want to pay tax. The bigger businesses obviously pay it but places such as bars and restaurants get away with it.

We actually do pay tax, Paeng went to the taxation office after our first year with all the documents. We wanted to do things right especially during our first year. The tax people took a look at all the documents and said they could either go through all the paperwork and work out the tax or we could pay a figure of 2,500 baht and walk away. 2,500 baht for a year because basically they couldn't be arsed. No wonder the governments don't seem to have a lot of money to spare.

• Blodstrupmoen, mervin and bayhill like this

#7 sidsnot

sidsnot

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:Beauties with a beast
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

I think if Thailand wants to progress then they need to have a decent form of taxation system. It seems that if you are a small business then its up to you if you want to pay tax. The bigger businesses obviously pay it but places such as bars and restaurants get away with it.

We actually do pay tax, Paeng went to the taxation office after our first year with all the documents. We wanted to do things right especially during our first year. The tax people took a look at all the documents and said they could either go through all the paperwork and work out the tax or we could pay a figure of 2,500 baht and walk away. 2,500 baht for a year because basically they couldn't be arsed. No wonder the governments don't seem to have a lot of money to spare.

Thaksin n the rice market severely farked taxable income. Tis an old topic.

"Bravo" as regards the Tax man.
Good to know your keeping up with your cashflow.
Sid

#8 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

TIT

#9 Solice

Solice

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,967 posts
  • Interests:WWW.sensationsbar.blogspot.co.uk/

Youtube.com - scotts thailand

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thaksin n the rice market severely farked taxable income. Tis an old topic.

"Bravo" as regards the Tax man.
Good to know your keeping up with your cashflow.
Sid

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit, can I guess who your friend is :)
  • sidsnot likes this

#10 sidsnot

sidsnot

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

My only friend is Gordon although just recently Sister Morphine made a brief appearance, lush. :)

#11 FYE

FYE

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

Not talking about taxes or governments, but surely local districts have a department for upkeep. Keeping its public safe from all the cables and pavements so no one falling down them etc

#12 sidsnot

sidsnot

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Is there a puzzle?
I remember you had already previously posted sometime ago the old Sensations tax declare situation and subsequent agreement.
Confused of Folkestone
Sid

#13 Banach Space

Banach Space

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:LBs & MCs

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Not talking about taxes or governments, but surely local districts have a department for upkeep. Keeping its public safe from all the cables and pavements so no one falling down them etc

department for upkeep or call it what you want, needs money.

#14 frankdrebin

frankdrebin

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Interests:Clinging to the rock whilst drinking beer

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

Flipping this around, a big problem I have with western culture is that to a large extent people don't have to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. The culture of laying the blame elsewhere and claiming compensation is all too prevalent. How many adverts do you see every day for injury lawyers and where there's blame there's a claim?

The case that always sticks with me is the woman that sued McDonalds for $2 million after she spilt her coffee on herself because it was their fault the coffee was too hot. There was another case that was discussed on a course I attended about a burglar who fell through a conservatory roof while attempting to commit a burglary and sued the owners of the house for the injuries he suffered. If that's what you call progress then I quite like the fact that Thailand is the way it is. 

I don't live in Thailand and I appreciate that the longer you spend around these things, the more of an issue they become, so those of you that do live there will probably have a different opinion, which is fair enough.

Edited by frankdrebin, 22 August 2016 - 09:50 PM.

• mikel1 likes this

#15 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Flipping this around, a big problem I have with western culture is that to a large extent people don't have to take responsibility for their own actions anymore. The culture of laying the blame elsewhere and claiming compensation is all to prevalent. How many adverts do you see every day for injury lawyers and where there's blame there's a claim?
The case that always sticks with me is the woman that sued McDonalds for $2 million after she spilt her coffee on herself because it was their fault the coffee was too hot. There was another case that was discussed on a course I attended about a burglar who fell through a conservatory roof while attempting to commit a burglary and sued the owners of the house for the injuries he suffered. If that's what you call progress then I quite like the fact that Thailand is the way it is.
I don't live in Thailand and I appreciate that the longer you spend around these things, the more of an issue they become, so those of you that do live there will probably have a different opinion, which is fair enough.

I think, you hit the nail on the head ...

As an expat, you go through different phases, and one is normally -after the initial hype has gone- to see more the negatives. (Have been through that the second time, Thailand being the 2nd expat country. Cursing continously about the driving style, expecting everywhere a rip'off and the list goes on...).
The next phase is the decisive one:
do you manage to get into "realistic mode" -seeing the negatives, but accepting them in exchange for the positives the country has to offer -
or do you get into "hate mode" -despising and hating everyone and everything, a phenomenon you can often see in the Thai Visa Forum.

That said, if everything would change to the western model, e.g. political correctness, strict obeyance of the law (prostitution law???), Thai mentality to western harshness and directness, negativism instead of Thai laissez faire, and ...
why would there be any reason not to stay in the mother country instead of Thailand ???

In the end, it is exactly those differences and also some of the dangers, which make it worthwhile to come to LOS, be it on holiday or as expat !
  • dixon cox and frankdrebin like this

#16 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,251 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:49 PM

Agree with on you the pavements FYE, god knows why they went for block paving in some places, when everything made out of concrete, you would thought, they'd use slabs instead.  Last trip my right ankle swelled up a bit because of it (not a sprain, but I did have to take it easy for a day).

Edited by fenton, 22 August 2016 - 05:50 PM.

#17 sidsnot

sidsnot

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

Agree with on you the pavements FYE, god knows why they went for block paving in some places, when everything made out of concrete, you would thought, they'd use slabs instead.  Last trip my right ankle swelled up a bit because of it (not a sprain, but I did have to take it easy for a day).

Oh dear, poor you.
Sid

#18 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,251 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Oh dear, poor you.
Sid

She came Loom, instead 

everything ok :)

But I do like to wander about Sid, see what I can see ;-).

PS.  Is your skull reinforced for your next trip 555

#19 sidsnot

sidsnot

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

She came Loom, instead 

everything ok :)

But I do like to wander about Sid, see what I can see ;-).

PS.  Is your skull reinforced for your next trip 555

There's 2 bints down Diana who wanna piece of me.
No worries as Big Bint Beer will look after me.
Sid
  • oldlover likes this

#20 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,251 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

I'm not that far behind you Sid  :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic