Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Beauties with a beast
    Very tall LB bodyguards
    Gin

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

Regarding standards in other countries, I once asked a friend of mine, who was an international salesman for large earth-moving equipment, what was the worst place he had ever visited. Without blinking, he said Lagos, Nigeria.When I asked why, he replied "Well, Zoonie, if I tell you that when I arrived there had been an accident on the road from the airport and the driver of one car was slumped dead over the steering wheel. When I returned to the airport 3 days later, the car and its driver were still there!"

Nigeria is a nightmare.
If an injured or dead person doesn't have family or means to pay for an ambulance then that's it.

Thailand during the real heavy monsoon amazes me. Main junction boxes magnificently explode due to lack of insulation.
Nevertheless outages are solved fairly quickly.

It's Pattaya drainage which is the big concern.
Sid

#42 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,728 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:36 AM

Scaffolding :)

Last visit to BKK, long time ago, I noticed they were using Bamboo as scaffolding.  I stayed the Hideaway and i was watching the construction of the condo's opposite and it looks the real stuff.   

Just for you oldlover, I still have the NCB edition of this song (it was me dads).  I still have my BC overalls as well.

• oldlover likes this

#43 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts
  • Interests:Selectively Censored

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

I would guess most foriegn condo/hotel investors would want high safety standards themselves on their own. The condo building I live in has smoke alarms, fire alarms( they tested the fire alarms about 10 days ago but I wasn't here ) emergency lighting for piwer outtages that I know work myself because it went out once already.
Thing that gets me about all the wires above sidewalks is how they know which wire goes where. They all look the same to me- :) must be some super secret Thai thing

Edit:  When I moved into this condo,  I brought a surge protector from the US mostly in case there weren't enough

electric outlets.  I've never had an issue plugging in any device of mine in LOS.  As soon as I plugged in the surge

protector, the lights went out and TV shut off.  I unplugged the protector, it wasn't hot or anything, but I didn't know

where the breakers were so went dne t the office and she sent up a maintenance guy who got the juice flowing

again. There are enough outlets, but I tried using it anyway. A couple days later the guy who owns this condo was

down in the office talking to the condo manager.  So I went over and mentioned about it but also told him it was

no big deal to me because there's plenty of out;lets.  Next day the condo manager knocked on my door and had

a new surge protector in her hand that the condo owner had bought. Great landlord.  She also showed up one day

before that with a hairdryer for the place.  We both got a laugh out of that because I shave my head

Edited by Tony Soprano, 24 August 2016 - 05:14 AM.

#44 Jimmy_Lovepants

Jimmy_Lovepants

Common as Muck

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,806 posts
  • Interests:wet patches
    ferret husbandry

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

In Asia it is assumed that you are not a total idiot but someone who can basically look after him/herself. They think you can recognise things like a hanging electrical cable and have the good sense to walk around it. Or that you can cross the road safely because those big noisy metal things which go fast are called moving 'cars' and you actually need to avoid those when you cross. It's healthy and cheaper not to smoke but they're not going to break your balls telling you that you can't smoke if that's what you really want to do ... In other words people in Asia take personal responsibility for their safety and welfare. (And if you get it 'wrong' it's all on you).

By contrast in the West it is assumed that we're idiots and need every possible protection from our own idiocy, e.g. You need to be told when to walk, when to stop, when to touch something or when to leave it alone, where you are allowed to do certain things and where it's absolutely forbidden (penalties apply). There are a thousand bylaws and regulations to remind us too and these increase in number every year. (I'm just waiting for someone to tell me when I need to go to bed and what type of hazvest to wear).

I know which way makes more sense to me... 

• frankdrebin likes this

#45 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,505 posts
  • Interests:Selectively Censored

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

In Asia it is assumed that you are not a total idiot but someone who can basically look after him/herself. They think you can recognise things like a hanging electrical cable and have the good sense to walk around it. Or that you can cross the road safely because those big noisy metal things which go fast are called moving 'cars' and you actually need to avoid those when you cross. It's healthy and cheaper not to smoke but they're not going to break your balls telling you that you can't smoke if that's what you really want to do ... In other words people in Asia take personal responsibility for their safety and welfare. (And if you get it 'wrong' it's all on you).

By contrast in the West it is assumed that we're idiots and need every possible protection from our own idiocy, e.g. You need to be told when to walk, when to stop, when to touch something or when to leave it alone, where you are allowed to do certain things and where it's absolutely forbidden (penalties apply). There are a thousand bylaws and regulations to remind us too and these increase in number every year. (I'm just waiting for someone to tell me when I need to go to bed and what type of hazvest to wear).

I know which way makes more sense to me... 

I sorta agree, Jimmy,  but in the US it depends on if a corporate group doesn't like the new warning.  Those images of

what smoking does to the body you see in LOS, they wanted to put on packs in  the US.  But the cig corporations

bribed enough members of Congress so it never happened.  Some in Congress in Congress wanted food corporations

to put whether the food was made with GMO's.  The wallets came out.  I'm sure there are some examples of warnings that

seem silly. They must not have upset any corporations.  Plus they help corporations with their onerous federal regulation

argument :ph34r:  All part of the long con

#46 FYE

FYE

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

So very true,   just wished simple things like been able to walk without dodging the holes or cables.  But on saying what you have and been a regular travellor for work and pleasure would you knowingly book a room if there was no escape if there was a fire ?  just because its cheap ? 

Edited by FYE, 24 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#47 mardhi

mardhi

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

So very true,   just wished simple things like been able to walk without dodging the holes or cables.  But on saying what you have and been a regular travellor for work and pleasure would you knowingly book a room if there was no escape if there was a fire ?  just because its cheap ? 

I overlooked part of the original jist of your post.    Pattaya is pretty unique as being a disaster in terms of infrastructure.     Look at comparable sized cities such as Ubon Ratachani, Nong Khai etc and all of them are pretty picture perfect.   Pavements/sidewalks in good to great condition.  Much less unsightly cabling.    Pattaya was in better shape 15 years ago than it is now as it relates to infrastructure.     The only impression I can draw is that the city council has become slipshod and focuses only on non delivery of the big budget projects where the big money is.    The regular maintenance is all too hard by comparision to earning potential on the bigger projects.   Why else would they re-design the beachfront sidewalk every two years.  

It will be interesting to see if anything improves now the city council is appointed by the junta every since the last elected Mayor's term ended.  

• FYE likes this

#48 frankdrebin

frankdrebin

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Interests:Clinging to the rock whilst drinking beer

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

I knew this compensation culture was spreading http://www.bbc.co.uk...-asia-37177504 :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users