24 replies to this topic

#1 WittyName

WittyName

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

While on vacation I might as well get a new pair of prescription eye glasses. Does anyone have a go-to place that they get glasses in Pattaya?

#2 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Gerontophiles, ultracrepidarianism, kino, alphamegamia, Scalextric

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

Euro Optic

215/59 Second Road

Moo 10, Pattaya

Located on 2nd Road, opposite the Marriott Hotel (next to Royal Garden Plaza) - See HERE

Dr. Maria Abalon is from the Philippines but is fluent in English, very capable and professional. I personally wouldn't go anywhere else.

Attached File  eurooptic.jpg   396.59KB   20 downloads

• WittyName and BertLynch like this

#3 WittyName

WittyName

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info buddy! I definitely will check it out next week

#4 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:18 AM

If you need varifocal lenses, it could be good deal. I had my eyes tested last week, my long sight has improved and my short sight has diminshed.  The optician suggested varifocal lenses (depending on the frame they can cost £50 and £400 per lens).  I opted for reading glasses instead 55.  

• odotor and WittyName like this

#5 flamesfan7

flamesfan7

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, photography, music, ice hockey and of course Katoeys

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

Anybody have any idea what an eye exam and a pair of glasses costs in Thai baht? In the U.S. it would run around $300-$500 (10,000-17,000 baht) depending on the frames. I'm sure it's less expensive in Thailand and maybe I can drop my eye coverage here in the states and grab a pair when I'm in LOS if the price is right.

#6 cherjam1

cherjam1

LB Connoisseur

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

If you need varifocal lenses, it could be good deal. I had my eyes tested last week, my long sight has improved and my short sight has diminshed.  The optician suggested varifocal lenses (depending on the frame they can cost £50 and £400 per lens).  I opted for reading glasses instead 55.

Aye I bet you did, probably bought them in the pound shop

#7 mardhi

mardhi

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,592 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Varifocal (hi index or thin lens) were quoted to me at 12,000b basic 18,000b better coverage and about 22,000b for the best lenses. Frame are extra but can be as low as 300b.

I know few guys who hated them so I plumped for the cheapest and am now after 18 months just about ok with them. In bar or flashy lighting it is almost impossible to focus on a face barely 6m away.

#8 Slowguy

Slowguy

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • Interests:Girls with firm tits, long hair, clean undercarriages, and great attitudes...

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

I find that with US coverage, it's not worth it to buy glasses in Thailand.  I get even the most extreme lenses (UV filter, coated, polarized, ultra thin, scratch protected, photochromatic, progressive etc - all the options) for "free" under my insurance.  And $200 toward the frame, and the exam fully covered.

I'm more interested in getting contacts, since I can get EITHER glasses OR contacts covered, but not both.  Maria Abalon does contacts too?

#9 WittyName

WittyName

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

I find that with US coverage, it's not worth it to buy glasses in Thailand. I get even the most extreme lenses (UV filter, coated, polarized, ultra thin, scratch protected, photochromatic, progressive etc - all the options) for "free" under my insurance. And $200 toward the frame, and the exam fully covered.

I'm more interested in getting contacts, since I can get EITHER glasses OR contacts covered, but not both. Maria Abalon does contacts too?

I will be going there on Friday, so if no one answers this by then I will be sure to post an answer for you.
  • Slowguy likes this

#10 Slowguy

Slowguy

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • Interests:Girls with firm tits, long hair, clean undercarriages, and great attitudes...

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

I will be going there on Friday, so if no one answers this by then I will be sure to post an answer for you.

Thanks - appreciate it. 

For others with "old eyes" - that post-45 or 50 years of age thing - here's a tip especially useful in sweaty Thailand, as well as when you want to see what you're doing when you get up close and personal with the girls and regular glasses steam up, get smeared by thighs or cheeks of some kind or the other, look uncool, or don't really work in bed, or all of the above. 

The solution?  Get contacts, or I should say contact, in singular.  

I use one contact, just in my right (dominant) eye and no lens/correction for my left.  My prescription strength is -3.25 so my uncorrected distant vision isn't too great.  However, my near vision is just fine, perfect for reading cell phone content.

So with this setup I can use my left eye to look at my phone, and my right for distance viewing. 

No smears, no bed issues. We all want to see what's going on, right, and without the contact, that BBBJ is kinda blurry when I'm on my back, or if the room has a mirror, I can't make out details of the doggy action.

If you haven't tried the one contact lens approach, I recommend it.  More economical too.  So I'm planning on stocking up on some contacts, maybe even those funky colored ones if they come in prescription strength.

#11 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

When you wear the funky ones are you still gonna only use them in one eye ?...That will be interesting 

I live in NZ and UK and NZ is about same price as Thailand but UK seems to be cheaper than Thailand comparing same w same 

A few years ago in Vietnam , I had some sunglass reading glass lenses put  into some good but v unique (round ) frames I already had and that took two hours , works great still and cost 20$USD ...that seems v cheap ...Thailand not so .

Edited by LordJim, 23 August 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#12 Slowguy

Slowguy

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

When you wear the funky ones are you still gonna only use them in one eye ?...That will be interesting 

I live in NZ and UK and NZ is about same price as Thailand but UK seems to be cheaper than Thailand comparing same w same 

A few years ago in Vietnam , I had some sunglass reading glass lenses put  into some good but v unique (round ) frames I already had and that took two hours , works great still and cost 20$USD ...that seems v cheap ...Thailand not so .

ha ha - the weird lenses are easy to get as "plano" (no correction) - I'm hoping to find some with my prescription strength, then I'll add a set of planos, and wear one of those in the left eye.  my eyes are already slightly differently colored, but would be fun to push the envelope a bit.

I agree, the glass lenses in Thailand aren't cheap.  Maybe the VN shops run old Soviet machines, churning out lenses from old tractor headlights.

Edited by Slowguy, 23 August 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#13 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Aha ....MY GF wears soft contacts in her prescription and think they are not expensive . They also do come in an amazing array of colours ...

I sometimes think it looks like  a fucking Husky is gnawing on my knob ! 

• insearchofxxx likes this

#14 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,325 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

Aye I bet you did, probably bought them in the pound shop

Yes, under duress 5555, 

OP, if you go with contacts, you may get these quicker opposed to glasses.   Also Remember to take them out at the end of the evening otherwise you will be going the hospital in the morning (easily done when pissed, my m8 did it! 55) to have them removed.

#15 backdoorbennie

backdoorbennie

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:16 AM

euro optics for me

frames are 2000 baht got a set of progressive lenses off dr maria 10000 bahtincluding frames

#16 WittyName

WittyName

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:06 AM

I find that with US coverage, it's not worth it to buy glasses in Thailand. I get even the most extreme lenses (UV filter, coated, polarized, ultra thin, scratch protected, photochromatic, progressive etc - all the options) for "free" under my insurance. And $200 toward the frame, and the exam fully covered.

I'm more interested in getting contacts, since I can get EITHER glasses OR contacts covered, but not both. Maria Abalon does contacts too?

Finally got around to going to Euro Optics. I got a set of glasses and lens for 3K baht. I asked about contact lens and she was reluctant to give me a solid price because she said there are many variables. But she did say that it would take 3 days to get contacts because they do not do all of the work on-site- I'm not exactly sure what that means.

#17 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:52 AM

Finally got around to going to Euro Optics. I got a set of glasses and lens for 3K baht. I asked about contact lens and she was reluctant to give me a solid price because she said there are many variables. But she did say that it would take 3 days to get contacts because they do not do all of the work on-site- I'm not exactly sure what that means.

I used to buy daily disposables all the time. They're readily available at Charoen Optical or Beautiful Optical, which are somewhere on most streets in the City. The price was (or around) B1,020 per box of 30. That worked out at B2k per month, which is why I eventually stopped being so vain and switched back to glasses. After 4 months the glasses had paid for themselves and now I'm 2k a month better off (every little helps)  :)

The daily disposable lenses I always got were DUNA Plus, or Dailies, which were the same brands I used to get when back in the UK but only 60% of the price. Contact lenses in Cambodia are twice the price of Thailand. These DUNA or Dailies are standard sized lenses (8.6, Dia13.8). Of course your particular prescription may not be in stock but they can order them and they'll be there the next day, or one day after. Or try a different branch.

• BertLynch likes this

#18 GlasgowRob

GlasgowRob

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Just paid £300 for 2 pairs of prescription Oakleys

#19 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,371 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

I used to buy daily disposables all the time. They're readily available at Charoen Optical or Beautiful Optical, which are somewhere on most streets in the City. The price was (or around) B1,020 per box of 30. That worked out at B2k per month, which is why I eventually stopped being so vain and switched back to glasses. After 4 months the glasses had paid for themselves and now I'm 2k a month better off (every little helps)  :)

The daily disposable lenses I always got were DUNA Plus, or Dailies, which were the same brands I used to get when back in the UK but only 60% of the price. Contact lenses in Cambodia are twice the price of Thailand. These DUNA or Dailies are standard sized lenses (8.6, Dia13.8). Of course your particular prescription may not be in stock but they can order them and they'll be there the next day, or one day after. Or try a different branch.

How do contacts work if you are now using bi focal as i have just started ?

Do you have contacts for long distance then wear reading glasses for reading maybe ?

#20 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

How do contacts work if you are now using bi focal as i have just started ?
Do you have contacts for long distance then wear reading glasses for reading maybe ?

My current glasses are for short-sightedness only. I don't wear contact lenses at all now and haven't for a year or more.

You may have noticed I move my glasses to the end of my nose when I need to read something close, such as a smartphone, or move them out of the way completely.

Dr. Abalon at Euro Optic did warn me that I'd now reached a level of short-sightedness which, once corrected, would result in a level of long-sightedness, she was correct.

Over more recent years, when I wore contacts, I had the need for reading glasses (cheap off the shelf) to see close-up. Once at immigration control I didn't have them available and couldn't see what the officer was referring to on my passport/TM6 and had to slide one of my lenses out of the way with the inside of my right forefinger knuckle (cleaner than a fingertip) to see.

I probably do need bi-focals now but it's no bother. I only wear the newer/stronger glasses when out and about for long distance. At home I use an old pair which are perfect for everything indoors, acquired prior to crossing the threshold previously highlighted by Dr. Abalon.

These gradual changes over the years are why I would never contemplate laser eye surgery. Glasses are no bother, it's part of life and/or growing old  Attached File  old.gif   2.44KB   6 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users