Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts
  • Interests:Selectively Censored

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:41 AM

POPULAR

After talking to a few ex-pat BM's, I decided to get hospital insurance, but not outpatient. Going to a doctor on your own and paying any bills is cheaper than a premium. So I went to a broker and we did an application with LMG which would have been a little under 35,000 baht for a year. Cancelling my work healthcare in the US will save me more in premiums there than the cost for this in LOS. LMG is Liberty Mutual Group a US company I had for about 20 years for car insurance. I can reativate that US insurance anytime.
Anyway we got back a rquest from LMG asking for my medical history. I have access to it from my my most recent doctor in the US. But it shows a BMI over 30 and that I take blood pressure and cholesteral. My levels on noth are just a little over the limits so my doctor in Georgia put me on them. He takes them himself and he's in the safe range but he says they don't do any harm so why not?
So the brocker says they'll likely exclude heart disease and increase the premium. I told him I don't care about heart or cancer coverage. If that happens I'll go back to the US and be covered there as ling as Gump doesn't fuck over Medicare. I'd still have my work insurance.
So I told him I really just want this in case of accident, like falling off a baht bus or getting hit by an idiot person on a motorbike.
Soo he asksme if I've had any injuries because if those area's get injured, they'd probably say existing condition.

Fractured both ankles and have a surgical screw in my right ankle.
Had my medial miniscus temoved from me left knee.
Fratured vertebrae in my back twice. Once 3 vertebrae and the other time once. Also have a deteriorating disk in my back.
Fractured skull twice and a few other fractures.

So the broker looks up at me and says,"be careful" -:)
  • petesie, hanz, skippy123 and 2 others like this

#2 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

good luck! ... if I read this list

Be careful that with high blood pressure and cholesterol, they don't exclude stroke also.
IMO for stroke and coronary, the flying to USA isn't an option- you'll need to see your hospital (hopefully with a well equipped ICU) as fast as even possible.

#3 topdog

topdog

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

So the brocker says they'll likely exclude heart disease and increase the premium. I told him I don't care about heart or cancer coverage. If that happens I'll go back to the US and be covered there as ling as Gump doesn't fuck over Medicare. I'd still have my work insurance.
So I told him I really just want this in case of accident, like falling off a baht bus or getting hit by an idiot person on a motorbike.
Soo he asksme if I've had any injuries because if those area's get injured, they'd probably say existing condition.

Fractured both ankles and have a surgical screw in my right ankle.
Had my medial miniscus temoved from me left knee.
Fratured vertebrae in my back twice. Once 3 vertebrae and the other time once. Also have a deteriorating disk in my back.
Fractured skull twice and a few other fractures.

So the broker looks up at me and says,"be careful" - :)

Most insurance companies would run and hide after seeing that medical history.  Good luck getting back to the US after a heart attack. It would also be very unusual for any US insurance company to add someone back on after they dropped coverage and suddenly came up with a new medical condition.  If that was the case what's the point in paying a monthly insurance premium, just wait until you get sick and need it then sign up

#4 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

good luck! ... if I read this list

Be careful that with high blood pressure and cholesterol, they don't exclude stroke also.
IMO for stroke and coronary, the flying to USA isn't an option- you'll need to see your hospital (hopefully with a well equipped ICU) as fast as even possible.

I've had my heart checked, walk on treadmill, scanned, etc just a couple years ago. Have a slightly leaking valve in their which the doc says is normal for my age. My family on both sides live into their 90's. I'm not to worried about cancer. No family member down to cousins has ever had cancer.
That's why I just wanted the accident type insurance. But the insurance company was going to exclude heart disease and raise the rate anyway.

Edited by Tony Soprano, 15 November 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

Most insurance companies would run and hide after seeing that medical history. Good luck getting back to the US after a heart attack. It would also be very unusual for any US insurance company to add someone back on after they dropped coverage and suddenly came up with a new medical condition. If that was the case what's the point in paying a monthly insurance premium, just wait until you get sick and need it then sign up

The insurance back in the US is thru work and I've already talked to them about getting back on. Whever I call them I'd be covered starting the 1st of the next month. I'm not a worrier or have stress

#6 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

if you can afford it, better stick to the most important rule for Thai expats (unless you are a multi-millionaire):
Make sure, you have a good health insurance with full coverage.

Hospital costs might be lower than in the US , but a longer hospital stay also adds up quite an impressive invoice, especially if you stay in one of the better ones like Bangkok Hospital and need a surgeon.

Edit:
One of the often neglected advantages of an insurance: Normally, for anything going beyond first aid, they ask for payment first. Imagine being transported to an hospital without credit cardS (the cc limit...) and already being severely "challenged", then getting access to your money to pay them might prove difficult - an insurance card with an experienced insurance call desk might work like a miracle to solve such questions.

... I already got a, luckily light, insight into this ...

Edited by insearchofxxx, 15 November 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#7 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

if you can afford it, better stick to the most important rule for Thai expats (unless you are a multi-millionaire):
Make sure, you have a good health insurance with full coverage.

Hospital costs might be lower than in the US , but a longer hospital stay also adds up quite an impressive invoice, especially if you stay in one of the better ones like Bangkok Hospital and need a surgeon.

I can't get coverage.  That was what my OP was about.  I don't worry about things.  If shit happens it happens and I deal with

it somehow.

#8 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:51 PM

no chance to get international cover from your US insurance (shouldn't be too much, because every country is cheaper than the US)?
(at least my European -non-governmental- insurance is covering up to 1 year abroad.)

see my edit above...

#9 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

no chance to get international cover from your US insurance (shouldn't be too much, because every country is cheaper than the US)?
(at least my European -non-governmental- insurance is covering up to 1 year abroad.)

see my edit above...

No comment.  I give up. :)

#10 LazyJay

LazyJay

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:33 AM

if you only want accident only insurance you can get it from most Thai bank's for about 2,500 baht a year. I have a policy from Kasikorn, just because I bank with them.

http://www.kasikornb...ntProtect.aspx 

#11 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:47 AM

if you only want accident only insurance you can get it from most Thai bank's for about 2,500 baht a year. I have a policy from Kasikorn, just because I bank with them.

... did they translate their insurance inclusions and exclusions to English ?

#12 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,731 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

I have that with Bangkok Bank.  May start to carry a high balance CC I have over 1 million baht.  I don't have US health ins.

independently.  It's thru work.  They set the rules.  They actually pay the claims.  The ins company just administers it.

#13 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:43 PM

Axa do health insurance for expats
https://www.axa.co.t...ealth-insurance

#14 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Axa do health insurance for expats
https://www.axa.co.t...ealth-insurance

yep - but for 35000 thb a year and with that medical history?
  • Tony Soprano likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users