27 replies to this topic

#21 Lucius

Lucius

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:47 AM

I would bet a lot of deaths in Libya are due to migrant smuggling in the desert. Thailand is pretty much number one for normal road user deaths.

Ive seen stats where Thailand was number 1.

Whatever it may be, they will always be number 1 to me. Bunch of idiots..

#22 Lucius

Lucius

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

It's amazing there's so few accidents / fatalities with the sheer amount of motorbikes and lack of protection. Actually think it's quite safe for traveling overall. There's huge amounts of people moved through an incredible amount of individual vehicles.

Thais are more courteous and less aggressive drivers than where i'm from.

Where on earth are you from?? Libya?

Sure they'll run over you with a smile, but to call that courteous.. If they do hit you, usually from behind, they'll make you pay for their misstake, coz you're a foreigner..

Edited by Lucius, 09 January 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#23 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Where on earth are you from?? Libya?
Sure they'll run over you with a smile, but to call that courteous.. If they do hit you, usually from behind, they'll make you pay for their misstake, coz you're a foreigner..

to a certain extent, I understand, where he is coming from:

If you were standing on a right turn lane in front of a traffic light and then someone would overtake on the left and trying to get on this lane, nearly everyone would close the gap and try to cut him off in my home country. This is in so far nice, that it allows people without local knowledge to correct their mistake. On the other hand, it's in LoS prone to be misused by the "super smarts" to get a small advantage and those, who stick to the rules, are waiting forever.

It also keeps their horrible reaction time with never looking ahead at life... and: every Thai has a smartphone, but most do not seem to use it for anything else than Fartbook or Instagram, instead of a little planning ahead with Google Maps or another navigation program, they troll along looking for a sign and then just change the lane.

And I would also support Katoeylover in that it is amazing that there aren't even more accidents, especially seeing them riding their fxckin motorcycles with trust in Buddha as if still in the village on a buffalo cart, I'm always astonished that you don't see someone dieing every 5km.

#24 Streetwalker

Streetwalker

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:22 AM

Driving

Driving in Thailand is an experience – a bit like the atomic accelerator – vehicles moving around in an apparent haphazard state but somehow surviving.

3 years ago I decided to get my Thai partner a driving license. Automatic transmission.

She was registered in a Thai Driving School on Pattaya Klang.

Total cost 15,000 Baht for about 40 hours. After about 20 lessons there was an option that if she failed she could continue with further ‘complimentary’ lessons until she successfully passed. Obviously they only make that offer if they have confidence in the student.

From the very beginning her driving lessons were on the open road dealing with traffic on Pattaya Tai, Klang and Nua.

She had to drive and park in places like Soi Bukhouw and also on Sukhumvit.

To supplement her lessons we would go to the local Wat and practice. Their Car Park was marked with white lines, for parking, so we just imagined different lanes. Drive down, indicate, turn and drive back.

She learned very quickly and became very competent. In fact so competent am happy to be a passenger.

Previously she used to say ‘why you get hot heart when you drive’. Now she gets hot heart and complains about the terrible driving.

The main problem seems to be lack of MIM – Mirror, Indicate, Maneuver – oh and then cancel the indicator. The number of times a motorbike has left his turn signal on turn left and then turns right…..

The day came to sit her test. She passed the actual driving test with flying colours. She failed the written question test a couple of times but eventually reached the required score. Many of the 50 questions were ambiguous but the minimum score had to be achieved. No bribes….

The ACTUAL test was a farce and basically in a Car Park with traffic cones. No lanes. No traffic. No other vehicles. No test on the open road so no test of ‘road-craft’. The parking test was laughable you could have parked a juggernaut in the coned space and many failed that.

Some applicants arrived in pick-ups, fail and then drive home, to try another day.

Minimum legal Car Insurance in Thailand is about 600 Baht per year. It is so basic as to be useless. Proper Class 1 comprehensive insurance, for a medium size car, is about 15,000 per year.

Having been rear-ended twice, on both occasions, my insurance company paid because the offending driver only had basic government insurance.

The death Toll in Thailand could be drastically reduced by ensuring the actual test is on the open road dealing with normal daily experiences. Other drivers, lane control, lights, indicating……etc. Just like most other countries.

A full driving license is issued, after a 1 or 2 year preliminary probationary license, for 5 years.

My recommendation would be to address the root cause of the problem.

ALL drivers would need to sit an actual Road Test at their next 5 year renewal. Fail and license suspended – Cars and Motorbikes and especially Mini Vans. The government would earn more revenue and reduce accidents.

Of course this will not happen as the lessons cost more than a local can reasonably afford.

What a business opportunity – the government could set up Test Schools and improve the quality of driving and reduce the atrocious death toll.

Start with kids at school – mandatory lessons. Hopefully as they get older and migrate to a pick-up they have some basic road craft.

To be ranked as the 2nd worst country, in the world, for traffic deaths is a total embarrassment and nobody attempts to fix the root cause.

We regularly pass a School in Naklua. The police are in attendance helping the students on Motorbikes leave the school. 3 or 4 on one bike. No helmets, riding under age. Insanity. The schools should be running classes, with the police, for the children on safety.

In my local village there is a large market.

Watching people try to park is akin to watching a cartoon. No concern for other users. Blocking exits. Taking up 2 spaces, double parking…..one afternoon I watched a middle aged lady on her motorbike. She was using her phone. She ran into the back of a parked car. She was not hurt just shocked – she never let go of the phone. Unbelievable. The villagers applauded……

Until they take Driving schools, and the Driving Test, seriously there will be no improvement.

Policing people, who have embedded poor driving skills, is not going to improve overall standards.

Has the clamp down on helmets made any real difference over the last X years?

Sitting at a set of lights the motorbikes always weave their way to the front – still 50% do not wear helmets.

One observation, including my partner, is that they do not look, plan nor think ahead.

It occurred to me that 99.9% of Thais first take to the road on a motorbike.

In the West most people do not start to drive with a motorbike.

When I drive my motorbike I now tend to only look 4 or 5 meters ahead – looking out for debris, potholes, in one case a monitor lizard etc. If I see a pothole I just make a small swerve to avoid it – on a motorbike the footprint is small but in a car such a maneuver is crazy.

If I need to pass a parked vehicle or obstruction, on a motorbike, that change of lane is minor and probably will not significantly disrupt the other traffic. That same change of lane, in a car, requires planning and looking out for the faster moving traffic on the driver’s right.

So the need to train motorcyclists is critical to any improvement. A motorbike is more nimble but those same maneuvers in a car are inviting an accident.

Driving a car and only looking 4 to 5 meters ahead is dangerous and does not allow sufficient time to make a maneuver.

If you see a driver indicating to turn right up front then the natural maneuver is to indicate left and merge well in advance.

If delayed to the last minute then that change of direction is less easy.

Another inherited bad habit, from learning to drive on a motorbike, is at major intersections.

Normally there is either 1 or 2 lanes for traffic to make a right turn when the lights change.

Drivers of pick-ups think nothing of creating an extra lane by driving up the left side of the waiting traffic – because that is what they do on a motorbike.

The Yellow ‘Checker’ pattern at these intersections is also for a reason – allowing oncoming traffic clear passage to make their turn. Motorbikes can wriggle around to make room as required – a pick-up cannot.

Finally. Maintenance. Or lack thereof. The number of motorbikes that have no working rear bulb is staggering. So issue police with a screwdriver and spare bulbs.

They haul the offender over and charge them for the service to replace the bulb. The rider may not even be aware the bulb is blown. A bulb is 50 Baht so police charge 100 Baht knowing that that motorbike is now visible.

Pro-active and not reactive.

• insearchofxxx likes this

#25 limirl

limirl

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

I think I read that over 80 per cent of the fatalities are motor bike related

Look at Vietnam its wall to wall motorbikes yet doesn't appear on that top list, makes you wonder about the thai's.

#26 ObamaMomma

ObamaMomma

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Had a taxi driver that put me off Thailand for 2 years. Fucker driving 120+ barely looking at the road, typing on his Line literally constantly while tailgating trucks. Nothing like being at 120km/hr, a meter behind a truck or bus and seeing brake lights suddenly while your driver is typing on his phone. The second time he skidded to within centimeters of the vehicle ahead, I flipped out, told him to put his phone down and pull over at the petrol station ahead, called for a different taxi, happily waiting 4 hours. What pissed me off the most was his "What's wrong?" attitude. Just happy to be alive. Usually book ahead, but for whatever reason that time I just booked from one of the stalls around Pattaya. 

#27 glenlivet76

glenlivet76

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

On the flip side...
Last October I landed at DMK from CNX...
Walked through check in,man showing the card with my name and thought to myself...
3pm,should be back in the bars in pats by 6...
Soon as we turned out of dmk the heavens opened....I have never seen rain like that,while I was clutching to the armrests the 'companion' I was with was looking at me as I was some lightweight twat!!!
It was literally like someone tipped a bucket of water on the windscreen and told us to get on...I remember looking to my left and no word of a lie a streak of lightning was no more than 20metres away
I'm not a religious man...but I did pray!!!
When we eventually got to Pattaya I fell out of the car in tears,cabbie charged me 1800 but I gave him a 1000 baht tip!
When he said 'that too much mister' I broke down in tears,hugged him and said 'thank you for getting me home brother'

Went straight upstairs knocked 2 large shots of grey goose and calmed myself down....while the woman ranted at me about leaving such a big tip...there not all bad drivers!!i will never forget the skills that driver showed!!!...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by glenlivet76, 18 January 2017 - 07:26 PM.

#28 LBK

LBK

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Life and death on Thailand's lethal roads - good article by the BBC

The grim statistics of death and injury on the roads are tallied each day in the media with, as often as not, worse figures than the year before.

And so it was this last new year - 478 people lost their lives on the roads in just seven days.

Regarding the terrible Chonburi crash:-

The police believe the 64 year-old driver fell asleep at the wheel. He was on his fifth 300km, 3.5 hour journey in 33 hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users