16 replies to this topic

#1 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Qatar flights from Cairo to Kuala Lumpur are about 260 euros, year around. My ticket to Cairo is about another 70. Pretty good deal

However i read terrible things  even about officers asking money, dirty, big mess, bottleneck crows and more

Any recent experience to share?

#2 Pumpui

Pumpui

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

I travelled via Cairo about 2-3 times. Not so disasterous. I didn't give tip to anyone, not the cleanest airport but not so bad IMHO. I wouldn't have any problem fly from there again. And it's not so f..en expensive like Doha! To mention something good.

#3 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboys, ladyboys, and I think ladyboys

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

I'm in and out of Cairo regularly. Cairo is fine. They actually have pretense of security now. If you wonder why they have had security issues with Egyptian aircraft, I will be happy to regale you with some tales about my travel over the past few years. Like when I literally walked into the country by passing through an opening inadvertently and they all just looked at me.

Back to the point: you are not going to have a problem like you noted in Cairo now. No one is going to ask you for 'faloose' or 'baksheesh'. Just be friendly, go to your transfer gate and you will be fine.

I'm happy to help with other questions if you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 syzygy1

syzygy1

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:30 AM

Shithole.

Security trying to get money from you for showing you a security camera.

Not impressed

#5 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

Shithole.

Security trying to get money from you for showing you a security camera.

Not impressed

Where was it at in airport? I look Egyptian, so I wonder if you may get a different experience. I haven't at all and I'm in and out of the airport regularly.

#6 syzygy1

syzygy1

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

Where was it at in airport? I look Egyptian, so I wonder if you may get a different experience. I haven't at all and I'm in and out of the airport regularly.

When I arrived with check in baggage with me.

Stopped for a cigarette outside and went to return inside.

#7 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

When I arrived with check in baggage with me.

Stopped for a cigarette outside and went to return inside.

And then some clown security guard asks you for money to get back in building? Shameful. That's too bad. How they justify it, I'll never understand. Too bad. Just shooting themselves in the foot.

I have to know: did he ask for money or demand money? And under what pretense? To enter the building? What a shame. Idiots.

#8 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

As for  resting/sleeping.

Is there any hotel to go without getting out of the airport? I see one "Airport Cairo Hotel" but cant get a site for reservation. Dont wanna spend 100+ in a 5 star hotel for a sleep.

Lounges are restricted to enter them only 3 hours before the flight departure, is it true?

#9 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

As for  resting/sleeping.

Is there any hotel to go without getting out of the airport? I see one "Airport Cairo Hotel" but cant get a site for reservation. Dont wanna spend 100+ in a 5 star hotel for a sleep.

Lounges are restricted to enter them only 3 hours before the flight departure, is it true?

I don't know to be honest. I have family there, so I couldn't do anything other than go see them. They kinda have you over the barrel when you are at that airport. Your options are limited and you are better off making sure you don't get ripped off these days if you do leave the airport. That was my point to begin with: you should be fine at the airport, but you have to be very careful once you leave the airport. Know where you are, who is around you, where you are going, etc. And pay someone well enough to drive you around to make sure they don't let others take advantage of you.

#10 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

I don't know to be honest. I have family there, so I couldn't do anything other than go see them. They kinda have you over the barrel when you are at that airport. Your options are limited and you are better off making sure you don't get ripped off these days if you do leave the airport. That was my point to begin with: you should be fine at the airport, but you have to be very careful once you leave the airport. Know where you are, who is around you, where you are going, etc. And pay someone well enough to drive you around to make sure they don't let others take advantage of you.

tnx, i probably use an airport hotel since fares are cheap so dont mind to pay some extra. I booked through instabul, hope everything will go fine. Next time i try Cairo.

#11 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

tnx, i probably use an airport hotel since fares are cheap so dont mind to pay some extra. I booked through instabul, hope everything will go fine. Next time i try Cairo.

Will be curious to know how Istanbul works out for you. Smarter choice than Cairo, but there have been issues there too. Good luck regardless and keep us posted.

#12 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

Will be curious to know how Istanbul works out for you. Smarter choice than Cairo, but there have been issues there too. Good luck regardless and keep us posted.

i will probably take cabin baggage with me  since aegean flight and singapore airlines are not connected, so i will avoid customs. Connecting time is more than 3 hours. Will inform.

• joeytaco109 likes this

#13 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

Finally made it quite easily. Better that i expected.

Arrived from Athens at around 09.45. Having my cabin baggage with me. I stayed at the central hall were i have to learn the departure gate for my flight at 13,30.

At Istanbul airport the gates are announced no earlier than 2 hours before departure. At 11,35 walked (quite a lot) to the gate. No other security checks except boarding control at the gate. Transfer to plane by bus again, connected gates to planes are mostly for Turkish Airline planes.

On the way back, Silkair at KLIA offered to check in my baggage up to my final destination, Athens and not just to Istanbul, although from IST to ATH i booked separate ticket and airline. That was really convinient.

Landed on time, 7,45 at IST, had 8 hours waiting time. I passed passport control and headed to Taksim Square for eat and shop some souvenirs. Back to the airport was a crowd at passport control, needed 35 minutes to get clearance. 2nd baggage security scan (already one at airport entrance, like Ninoy Aquino)

and headed to the gate.

Overall the airport is big, messy, wi fi sucks and expensive. However didnt have any great issues

• joeytaco109 likes this

#14 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Finally made it quite easily. Better that i expected.

Arrived from Athens at around 09.45. Having my cabin baggage with me. I stayed at the central hall were i have to learn the departure gate for my flight at 13,30.
At Istanbul airport the gates are announced no earlier than 2 hours before departure. At 11,35 walked (quite a lot) to the gate. No other security checks except boarding control at the gate. Transfer to plane by bus again, connected gates to planes are mostly for Turkish Airline planes.

On the way back, Silkair at KLIA offered to check in my baggage up to my final destination, Athens and not just to Istanbul, although from IST to ATH i booked separate ticket and airline. That was really convinient.
Landed on time, 7,45 at IST, had 8 hours waiting time. I passed passport control and headed to Taksim Square for eat and shop some souvenirs. Back to the airport was a crowd at passport control, needed 35 minutes to get clearance. 2nd baggage security scan (already one at airport entrance, like Ninoy Aquino)
and headed to the gate.
Overall the airport is big, messy, wi fi sucks and expensive. However didnt have any great issues

Thanks for posting

• mikegr likes this

#15 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for posting

This time i booked from Athens to Cairo. Overnight stay at Novotel Airport and fly KL with Saudia.

Return with AirAsiaX to Tehran, 5 hours waiting then Athens with Aegean.

Total cost about 460 euros all inclusive(plus miles spended for Aegean flights and hotel stay)

Lets see how it will work out

#16 joeytaco109

joeytaco109

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:58 AM

This time i booked from Athens to Cairo. Overnight stay at Novotel Airport and fly KL with Saudia.
Return with AirAsiaX to Tehran, 5 hours waiting then Athens with Aegean.
Total cost about 460 euros all inclusive(plus miles spended for Aegean flights and hotel stay)
Lets see how it will work out

That is a good price, not surprising. How did it work out?

#17 mikegr

mikegr

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

As said, the ticket with Aegean costed me only taxes, since i use credit card reward points. Note that From Tehran to Athens taxes are just 17 euros.
A night in Cairo will be paid by converting Qatar airways miles to accord hotel points.Visa fee included in the price I mentioned.
Small tip for AirAsia booking:
When book a round-trip ticket first check price for booking individually inbound and outbound. Sometimes it comes cheaper that way. Cheapest price from KL to Tehran was 110 euros including baggage.
Really curious to fly Saudia. Cairo to KL 219 euros, no extra costs, not even credit card surcharge. Including 2 x 23 (!) Baggage items. Aircraft is 787. May check for business upgrade at the counter if price is ok.

Edited by mikegr, 23 May 2017 - 06:51 PM.

• joeytaco109 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users