Sign in to follow this  
wfkiwi69

Hiring a reliable scooter or larger bike in Pattaya. Any suggestions who, where & cost

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm back in Pattaya at the end of April (8 days). Seen a lot places offering scooters & bikes for hire when there at Xmas. But a little hesitant to hire so far (heard some dodgy stories etc).

I'm looking at 2-3 day hire on a scooter & if poss something in the 500cc + range for a day or 2. As looking at doing a day trip to Rayong etc.

So just wondering if anyone got any reliable advice on places to go, prices etc. ie - cheaper to hire per day or for week etc? Do most places supply helmets? Insurance (scams etc to watch for etc).

I'm an experienced rider in Aus & NZ which does not really mean much for riding in Thailand lol.

Cheers Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wfkiwi69

Hi, I'm back in Pattaya at the end of April (8 days). Seen a lot places offering scooters & bikes for hire when there at Xmas. But a little hesitant to hire so far (heard some dodgy stories etc).

I'm looking at 2-3 day hire on a scooter & if poss something in the 500cc + range for a day or 2. As looking at doing a day trip to Rayong etc.

So just wondering if anyone got any reliable advice on places to go, prices etc. ie - cheaper to hire per day or for week etc? Do most places supply helmets? Insurance (scams etc to watch for etc).

I'm an experienced rider in Aus & NZ which does not really mean much for riding in Thailand lol.

Cheers Wayne

Make sure you have an international driving licence!

The boys in brown will enjoy taking your money if you don't have one!

Or a Thai driving licence!

If you're confident driving with the locals, go for it. If not, just use baht bus, moto-taxi, taxi.

I always rent a scooter, which is enough for me and the distances I am travelling, from the same place on Soi Lengkee and have never had any problems with poorly maintained bikes or scams. It's actually a real-estate office, LP Management I think, and almost opposite Retox, just in front of the entrance to Dolphin House.

Price for one week's rental is 1000 baht. So I'd assume about 150 per day.

No idea about where to rent anything more powerful, but I would consider bringing your own helmet/protection if you're going to be riding at higher speeds.

Edited by fleeing

Have you tried looking in the transport n travel section of this forum ??. If not it might be worth your while as this question has been asked multiple times.  You will find some advice. To start you off go to page 5 and you will see topic ..... good deals on motorbikes and scooters....... admittedly it is a bit dated September 2015. But telephone numbers and recommendations provided. May be other info if you flick thru the pages.

Failing that when you are here loads of places to hire small cc scooters 150b to 250b per day depending on model. Bigger proper bikes try this guy. Situated on beach road pattay Mr Dean who is Next door to the police station you will see some of his bikes parked up on the road as he operates out of one of the bars. Just show an interest and you will be approached or ask some one inside.   Has a selection of race style bikes, choppers, touring bikes Honda trans alp, Africa twin etc. My choice very comfy. Expect to pay 500 - 600b per day. But cheaper the longer you hire for, negotiate. Also another place on beach road either soi 13/1 or 13/2.

But as you do not seem to be going far just a spurt down highway 3 ( boring road) to Rayong. can easily be done on a 150cc Honda pcx. no real need for anything bigger.

Insurance will be just enough to make you legal. Rule of thumb here is you bend it, you mend it. This also applies to yourself and other people, Buddha forbid you get involved in any form of personal accident.  Will cost you dear. 

Driving licence, from your own country + international. Have no idea why an international is needed, as it has no Thai writing for officer dipstick to read or understand. But people seem to like them.  Skid lid(s) will be provide but crap. not up to the safety spec you will be use to. Just wear as not to pay 400b fine if stopped by traffic cops.

Some places will retain your passport for the length of hire, others will accept photo copy. A returnable deposit will also be required. Agree at start of rental any visible damage dents, scratches are recorded.

My only advice is do not be in a hurry, and keep it shiny side up. Your experience on two wheels will help, but expect the unexpected.  Some great back roads out of town getting lost is / was part of the fun. Do enjoy.  

rgds soidog   

Just make sure you have a motorcycle license in Oz/NZ and bring it with you, take out travel insurance at home and you will be sweet.

PM me and I will hook you up with a cheap deal.

I'm not disputing what you say but every arrival I have looked at says get an international driving licence!

Got stopped on a bike a couple of year ago, was asked for my IDP which I didn't have, told the copper I didn't need one... obviously if you haven't got one they require one..

Keys confiscated and sent to soi 9 station to pay my 400 baht fine. Went back for bike and found the copper and buggered off and left the keys with honest John motorbike taxi guy. Cheeky fucker wouldn't give me keys without showing receipt.

In contrast, hired a car and drove Pattaya to Chiang Mai, got stopped at a  road block and showed my UK licence, was saluted and waved through.  

Bike hire man told me it was the Pattaya BIB that command the fines, does not happen elsewhere.

Have had a IDP for the last 3 years and never been stopped to proudly show it!

Do not do it

Sound advice here.

If you have an accident, your fault or not, you'll find yourself in serious trouble.

Be papared to dig deep in your wallet.

In Pattaya transportation is dirt cheap and available 24/7. Not woth to take the risk IMHO.

O.

I'm not disputing what you say but every arrival I have looked at says get an international driving licence!

Except a western license as long as it's English (language, not from the UK) is fine for 90 days.

Edited by grandy

skip it

you're gonna get shaken down like crazy

i used to rent but now never do

got sick of the BIB fucking with me and having to take time out of my day to pay tickets that are bullshit

also i drink too much to use it

One of the reasons HailB I did not hire at Xmas. Was 1st time in Thailand and I just went off the rails lol. But not as yet sure if will hire or not. But wanted to check out any advice that fellows BMs could provide. As the possibility of repeat of Xmas is a distinct reality hahaha

When I was there in February I would often stop for a drinks in the afternoon at one of the Beach Road beer bars around Soi 7 and 8.  The police would just stand on the side of Beach Road and wave motor bike riders over one after another all afternoon long.  Could never figure out how they selected which ones to pull over, those without helmets were obvious but many of the riders had helmets on, farangs seemed to be the preferred choice .  Agree with the above comments about not renting, it doesn't matter what your experience is.  The rule of the road in Thailand is the largest vehicle has the right away so motorbikes are at the bottom.

Edited by topdog

"Just make sure you have a motorcycle license in Oz/NZ and bring it with you, take out travel insurance at home and you will be sweet."

Most travel insurance will not cover a bike over 125cc and many insist on a home country bike licence. Check the exclusions carefully.

I already rented bikes in LOS since 1988 and mostly big bikes....  But in newer times i didn´t.  Never got asked by the BIPs for my license. Only have been charged (many times) for riding without a helmet (okay... it was long time ago...).

Now i am asking myself: Do you need a license for this small scooters (125 ccm) also?

I think a normal car driving licence covers driving scooters up to 125cc, but definitely better to check out the rules instead of relying on the memory of some bloke on the internet.

In the end it's a moot point. If the cops can't extract a small gratuity for driving without a helmet or a licence, they'll just think of something else and keep going till they get their pay-off or get bored. 4skin's experience getting fleeced for not carrying ID is a prime example.

Easiest is just to avoid all contact with the police at all. There are certain back-road routes all the way from North Pattaya to Jomtien that avoid all the usual dumb-ass police bribe collection points. I'm pretty sure that's why Soi Buakhao is such a heavily used road.