thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

POPULAR

Hole In The Wall

This restaurant was already mentioned, but here is a little more info.

A Pattaya insitution for as long as I've been coming. This is the most common name I've heard it refered to as. I have also heard it referred to as Tin Cup.  Centrally located on Soi Buakow opposite LK Metro it is hot inside with Thai style stainless tables. Free water is available. Almost everything on the menu is 40-70b. The dishes are delicious, just slightly altered to appeal more to the foreigners palate. Meals are generally sweeter and larger portions. There will be lots of farang here as well as some Thai people mixed in.

In my opinion very delicious. There is a reason it has been so popular for such a long time. Good food and a great value. You never know who will sit down at your table with you and it is easy to strike up a conversation. I've met some interesting people eating here over the years.

Start with the location showing walking directions from Fantasy Lounge:

map.jpg

Google street view screenshot with LK Metro sign in the background:

outside.jpg

Kaeng Pedt Gai or Red Curry with Chicken 60b

curry.jpg

Kaow Pad Gai or Chicken Fried Rice 40b

friedrice.jpg

• Zoonie the Lazoon, petesie and soidog like this

#43 soidog

soidog

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:expecting the unexpected

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:43 AM

Agree thaifiend post #42.......never judge a book by its cover it looks a mess and chaotic when looking in but great grub. The location helps as the place is a gold mine has stood the test of time popular with Thai n farang.

Often your partner would prefer a place like this, to a more upmarket venue. They feel more comfortable

Philosophy of sell lots, and sell it reasonably priced. High turnover of customers means profit is good. Many places like this about just got to be adventurous to try. I use one off of soi kophai been told by the lady owner I am the only farang that eats here. No English menu,so know what you want in Thai or have some one with you to help chose. Place often busy grub is cooked as it should be not altered to suit a western taste.

Any of you lot keen on Issan food ?. Chickens feet, internal organs chicken blood blocks, odd pork meat cuts on the bone, all served with a handful of vegetation. Some of this stuff is liable to blow your socks off (if wearing) hot and spicy.

Rgds soidog

Edited..... just like to say nice photo of your dog thaifiend

Edited by soidog, 02 November 2017 - 02:45 AM.

#44 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

Sailor Bar

Another venerable classic located on Soi 8 near beach road. They are well known for their cheap drinks and food. The bar area has a cool atmosphere and is always busy. There is a big list of cocktails that are 60b each. 

I've never had a bad meal here, however the food isn't anything to get too excited about. Great location, very reasonable prices, cheap drinks. Most meals are in the 120-160b range, however there is a section with under 100b choices. The hamburger meal (pictured below) is 60b. It wasn't bad.

I wouldn't travel across the city just to eat here (except for this post), but if I happen to be in the area and hungry I'll stop by. There is a great (moderately priced) mexican place (Tequila Reef) the next soi over, but that will have to wait for another post.

A map, Soi 8 has several ladyboy bars; Beehive, Blue Dragon, and King Bar off the top of my head.

map.jpg

Picture from the outside walking from beach road it is on the left.

entrance.jpg

The hamburger meal for 60b.   

burger60b.jpg

#45 Pimme

Pimme

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Yes

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

I love that Steak 49 on 3th road, it,s also placed close to Bliss Lounge, a BJ and meal for 900 bth, great value.

Haven been to "hole in the wall" since i got food-poisen there on a late meal with Sensation-May couple of years ago.

Edited by Pimme, 02 November 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#46 Rambo2201

Rambo2201

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

The food in Sailor bar definitely is nice,the only compaint I have is the portions, especially the Thai food, can be small.

#47 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:30 AM

"Brooklyn Pizza, Soi Diana, closed Tuesday. Closest to NY style I’ve ever had in Thailand."

FYI, it's bronx pizza.

I'm fond of aroi dee and yiam on Soi new plaza at second road, open 24 hours, I've mentioned them in other threads.

Tuk La Dee , the inshouse restaurant within FOODLAND Supermarket is great .....Its at the Sukumvitt end of Pattaya Klang . Open 24hrs and a nice menu of well priced and well cooked meals .

Think the name translates to Cheap but Good ? 

throwing in some updates and also agreeing with many of you.

bronx pizza just moved from Diana to Tipp Plaza, Beach Road end, was there this week, the owner John is still getting settled in.

MK - agreed.

Retox on Soi Honey, was there yesterday watching sports.  I've taken many BMs there that get the same dish, sportsman/hunter chicken, large portion.  GG server Dany is cute and young.  and they take bets since it's mafia/gang owned.

I like lee's diner on Diana, 24 hours.  took BMs there for pizza and pad Thai, they liked it.

I never used to like kiss, other than for entertainment value, but recently tried the ribs - not bad, and the pad Thai is decent.

foodland at royal garden - 24 hours, large place, good food, service and price, but not huge portions.

all American diner - buakhao/MIT, great sandwiches, huge portions, owner David, good guy.

but here's the new place at royal garden to put on your list.  hawker chan recently opened - Michelin star.

https://www.google.c...SHn6wCLIBGAYYCw

regards,

6-pack

edit - sandwich place is great American diner, not all American diner.

edit - bronx is giving coupons for a free slice until the end of November (I assume it's after you buy a slice or two).

Edited by bayhill, 04 November 2017 - 12:28 PM.

• Zoonie the Lazoon and hunterman like this

#48 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Took Lae Dee (inside Foodland)

I saw this place mentioned earlier in the thread so I thought I would check it out.  It isn't really in an area most people on holiday would find convenient, but it isn't very far either.  Just a little bit past Big C right next to Harbor Mall on Pattaya Klang.  At least there is a sidewalk so it is a relaxing walk.  

The closest ladyboy bar is Black Angels on Soi Arunothai, they usually have around five freelancers.  Right next to it is another ladyboy bar Nice Bar with a couple ladyboys as well.  I would say that it isn't really worth the trip unless you just want to go somewhere different.  

In my opinion there are much better places to eat, the first one that comes to mind is Pizza and Pasta just a couple hundred meters away from the bars.  I'll do a post on that restaurant some other time.

Back to Took Lae Dee though.  It is airconditioned and the water is free, that is good.  I wasn't really impressed with my meal and the prices are OK I guess.  I probably won't be going back there but I took some pictures so I'll share them.  Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, but I was watching what others were getting it nothing looked too exciting to me.  

Map showing the location in relation to the nearest ladyboy bar:
map.jpg

Approaching from the street go through the front door and the restaurant is on the right.
entrance.jpg

Menu with prices:
menu.jpg

The meal I got is #17.  SO many peppercorns.  crunch crunch.
chicken.jpg

#49 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Took Lae Dee (inside Foodland)

I saw this place mentioned earlier in the thread so I thought I would check it out.  It isn't really in an area most people on holiday would find convenient, but it isn't very far either.  Just a little bit past Big C right next to Harbor Mall on Pattaya Klang.  At least there is a sidewalk so it is a relaxing walk.  

The closest ladyboy bar is Black Angels on Soi Arunothai, they usually have around five freelancers.  Right next to it is another ladyboy bar Nice Bar with a couple ladyboys as well.  I would say that it isn't really worth the trip unless you just want to go somewhere different.  

In my opinion there are much better places to eat, the first one that comes to mind is Pizza and Pasta just a couple hundred meters away from the bars.  I'll do a post on that restaurant some other time.

Back to Took Lae Dee though.  It is airconditioned and the water is free, that is good.  I wasn't really impressed with my meal and the prices are OK I guess.  I probably won't be going back there but I took some pictures so I'll share them.  Maybe I just ordered the wrong thing, but I was watching what others were getting it nothing looked too exciting to me.  

Map showing the location in relation to the nearest ladyboy bar:

Approaching from the street go through the front door and the restaurant is on the right.

Menu with prices:

The meal I got is #17.  SO many peppercorns.  crunch crunch.

wrong foodland, at least the one I posted about, #47.

prior post states royal garden, including hawker chan at royal garden.

Edited by bayhill, 04 November 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#50 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

wrong foodland

Oh man, I feel like a dumbass.  Thanks for the correction.  I'll check out the correct place.  

• bayhill likes this

#51 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Oh man, I feel like a dumbass.  Thanks for the correction.  I'll check out the correct place.  

nah, simple mistake because LJ (lordjim) referred to the one at Suk/Klang.

but if you do go there, also check out Hawker Chan and report.

Edited by bayhill, 04 November 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#52 barolo72

barolo72

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Travel,wines,motorsports and ladyboys

Posted 05 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

Rinapp Italian restaurant in soi 13/1 it's my choice, just on the right side of La Bamba

#53 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

Rinapp Italian restaurant in soi 13/1 it's my choice, just on the right side of La Bamba

really?  I never see anyone in there, could be due to the time of night.

regarding Italian, many BMs like the recently opened Spaghetti Bistrot behind avenue mall.  open late, owner also owns The House.

#54 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,593 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

At the suggestion of 2 dodgy BM's   :ph34r:   I walked to Tigglebitties which isn't more than a 15 minute walk

from where I live.  Never been there before.  Had a 3 egg omelette and fried potato's with onions.  Not quite

home fries like back home and the potato's seemed a day old.  Dry.  The omelette was great. Will return

again for another soon. 

IMG_4913.JPG

Also took home a Rueben sandwich which isn't like home either.  Eating it later.  not enough sauerkraut

and I think the cheese is just cheese sauce.  Meat might be OK.

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.jpg

Edit: When I got to the place, a live NHL game, Boston Bruins/NY Rangers was on though about 1/2 way

thru the 3rd period.  Then the Tampa Lightening/ San Jose Sharks game started

Edited by Tony Soprano, 09 November 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#55 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Almost forgot about this thread.  I can do a few more.

Retox

99b for the 'Baht Buster' breakfast is a tremendous amount of food for the money. Eggs, potato, toast, fried toast, ham, sausage, black pudding, beans, orange juice, and coffee or tea. Aircon and dozens of flat screen TV's showing every sport event. The only Thai's here will be service staff and bargirls brought to eat with their customers. Two locations in central Pattaya. Soi Lengke and Soi Honey. There are cheaper breakfasts around, but none this big. They are fast with consistent quality. The aircon and sporting events really add value also.   They always show UFC events here with an enthusiastic crowd.

It's not really my style of food, it's a little too... English for me haha.  But it certainly fills me up and it's cheap!

A map to the Soi Lengke location:

map.jpg

The famous baht buster:

bahtbuster.jpg

#56 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 13,374 posts
  • Interests:Same as the rest of ye!

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

Tried the new Bon Chon place in Central this afternoon, chicken combo was delicious but not the 17% additional charges 👿

IMG_4510.JPG

#57 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

Pizza Pizza

Located inside Pattaya Avenue just opposite Soi 13/1. Every year they run a promotion for several months offering a whole margarita pizza for 79b.  I forgot to write down how much the water was, but I think it was 30b for a total of 109b.  Pizza is decent, there is some cheese on it.  Aircon is strong so, it's nice to cool down.  

At the end of 13/1 cross 2nd road and it is right near where the VW bus drink cart sets up.

map.jpg

Plenty to fill me up:

pizza.jpg

#58 bayhill

bayhill

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

Pizza Pizza

Located inside Pattaya Avenue just opposite Soi 13/1. Every year they run a promotion for several months offering a whole margarita pizza for 79b.  I forgot to write down how much the water was, but I think it was 30b for a total of 109b.  Pizza is decent, there is some cheese on it.  Aircon is strong so, it's nice to cool down.  

At the end of 13/1 cross 2nd road and it is right near where the VW bus drink cart sets up.

attachicon.gifmap.jpg

Plenty to fill me up:

attachicon.gifpizza.jpg

not exactly a glowing recommendation, but thanks.

I've NEVER seen anyone in there.

#59 Spank

Spank

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

MK - agree with everyone else - quality duck. Red pork is good too. And the sesame prawn toast.

Tikka Centre - on Soi Buakhow, directly opposite the end of Soi Honey. Best Indian I've had in Pattaya, not that I've tried loads. Next door to Fantasy Lounge.

Chuan Chim cafe - Jomtien Soi 5. Good if you're visiting the immigration centre or you just really want a good English-style Chinese. Copious portions and tasty. Best English Chinese I've had in Thailand. Reasonable prices. Huge menu of farang food.

Cherry's Restaurant - corner of Third Road and Chalermprakhiat Soi 18, opposite the open space where they have concerts. I've only been for the buffet but it's a good buffet - Wednesdays and Saturdays, 450B. Tasty ribs.

Jolly Friar - Soi Lengkee. Good fish and chips.

Robin's Nest - Soi Diana - good Sunday roast buffet, about 330B. Stuffing is a bit crap but everything else is nice IMO. 

Sportsman Pub - Soi 13 off Beach Road - very good Sunday roast buffet, 425B. Everything was very nice on the one occasion I went.

#60 Knobby

Knobby

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Music,Sexy fun and games, photography.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Some good updates here thanks all. B)

Am out of touch with all things Pattaya so this thread will come in handy.

Am especially interested in "proper thai" places to eat if you see what I mean  :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users