#1 soidog

soidog

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Interests:expecting the unexpected

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:27 AM

Gentleman. This may be of no use reading this unless you are in possession of a Thai car licence

Back in January 2017 I visited mum in the uk. I choose avis car rentals as can pick up from terminal 5 at LHR, and avis are happy for me to hire a car on Thai licence, which I have used for many years to do so with no problems. The uk address I provide for avis is my mothers.

Fast forward to March 2017. Phone call from mum informing me Thames Valley Police have sent  forms n paperwork ( to her address) to be filled in by me because I have committed a traffic violation. My heinous crime was 35mph in a 30mph zone. Must of been a speed camera I did not notice 

Tell mum send all paperwork back with covering letter saying son not in country. He has been in touch with your help line for guidance.

Phoned helpline but where of no help. Given email address of fixed penalty notice unit so I start to liaise with them. Now the fun started. The below is over a 6 week period.

police......We want proof you have left country

me.......Can not provide details, do not keep boarding pass, or flight departure ticket suggest you contact airline. I provide departure date n details.

police....... We need to see your Thai licence please scan and e mail to us.

me.......Sorry can not. Do not own a scanner also have no idea how to send via an e mail attachment as am some what computer illiterate ( true). Other suggestions please.

police....... A photo copy by post will suffice.

me.......Great idea, but please bear in mind Thai air postal service is notoriously slow. Here is telephone number of driving licence issuing office Thailand good luck if you want to try and phone them.

Time passes by

Other day get e mail saying we are NOT proceeding with this case any further. Happy days. So gents by hiring on Thai licence instead of English I have saved my self 3 penalty points and also not been fined 80 - 100 quid. might be worth thinking about if you hire a car use a Thai licence.

rgds a happy soidog.   

• insearchofxxx and Jaguar like this

#2 Jaguar

Jaguar

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts
  • Interests:Pretty Ladyboys, Football , Drinking , Gambling , Surviving .

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:31 AM

Shame on you Dog , not making your financial contribution to London Met Plods  end of year Christmas Bash

#3 GlasgowRob

GlasgowRob

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

Gentleman. This may be of no use reading this unless you are in possession of a Thai car licence

Back in January 2017 I visited mum in the uk. I choose avis car rentals as can pick up from terminal 5 at LHR, and avis are happy for me to hire a car on Thai licence, which I have used for many years to do so with no problems. The uk address I provide for avis is my mothers.

Fast forward to March 2017. Phone call from mum informing me Thames Valley Police have sent forms n paperwork ( to her address) to be filled in by me because I have committed a traffic violation. My heinous crime was 35mph in a 30mph zone. Must of been a speed camera I did not notice

Tell mum send all paperwork back with covering letter saying son not in country. He has been in touch with your help line for guidance.

Phoned helpline but where of no help. Given email address of fixed penalty notice unit so I start to liaise with them. Now the fun started. The below is over a 6 week period.

police......We want proof you have left country

me.......Can not provide details, do not keep boarding pass, or flight departure ticket suggest you contact airline. I provide departure date n details.

police....... We need to see your Thai licence please scan and e mail to us.

me.......Sorry can not. Do not own a scanner also have no idea how to send via an e mail attachment as am some what computer illiterate ( true). Other suggestions please.

police....... A photo copy by post will suffice.

me.......Great idea, but please bear in mind Thai air postal service is notoriously slow. Here is telephone number of driving licence issuing office Thailand good luck if you want to try and phone them.

Time passes by

Other day get e mail saying we are NOT proceeding with this case any further. Happy days. So gents by hiring on Thai licence instead of English I have saved my self 3 penalty points and also not been fined 80 - 100 quid. might be worth thinking about if you hire a car use a Thai licence.

rgds a happy soidog.

OMG your a criminal!

#4 chinadoll

chinadoll

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Brace yourself. You are going to have the bareback police and the anti drink driving police from this forum  on your case for the rest of your life, should have paid fine.

#5 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

So gents by hiring on Thai licence instead of English I have saved my self 3 penalty points and also not been fined 80 - 100 quid. might be worth thinking about if you hire a car use a Thai licence.
rgds a happy soidog.

I would now be very cautious to rent your car again with a Thai driving licence when in U.K.
Authorities have stronger memory than LB's.
Your case has been dismissed but it doesn't mean they have forgotten you in the immigration system

Edited by Scottiem1954, 17 July 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#6 stitch

stitch

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

I used to use a Qatar driving licence and address when renting cars in Europe. Never had a speeding ticket or parking sent to me ever.

The only time I used my Qatar licence with my Spanish address I received a UK speeding ticket at my Spanish address. Just ignored it and never heard any more of it.

#7 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,911 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:01 AM

by the way:

it works also the other way:
I never use my Thai DL, when renting a car in Thailand, but my International DL.

Never got a ticket by postal service in 12 months, when neglecting the speed cams on the A7 BKK-PTY.
Driving with a private car, registered in the name of the Ex, we immediately got 2 fines ...

Edited by insearchofxxx, 10 September 2017 - 05:02 AM.

• soidog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users