23 replies to this topic

#1 wanderlust

wanderlust

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

If any has used the rail link from BKK to the BTS connection at Phaya Thai I would be interested in their opinion whether it is a good option for transport to the hotels in Nana Plaza area.

#2 Devman

Devman

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

If any has used the rail link from BKK to the BTS connection at Phaya Thai I would be interested in their opinion whether it is a good option for transport to the hotels in Nana Plaza area.

I think by BKK you mean Suvarnabhumi Airport.

If that is so, "yes", it is a very good option to get to Nana or Asok (perhaps less so if you are encumbered with a lot of luggage).

Take a supply of coins with you so that you can buy a ticket from a machine at Phaya Tai without having first to queue up to get change.

Edited by Devman, 13 May 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#3 wanderlust

wanderlust

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 06:16 PM

I think by BKK you mean Suvarnabhumi Airport.

If that is so, "yes", it is a very good option to get to Nana or Asok (perhaps less so if you are encumbered with a lot of luggage).

Take a supply of coins with you so that you can buy a ticket from a machine at Phaya Tai without having first to queue up to get change.

I used the airport code because I am too lazy to spell out Suvarnabhumi. Damn it! You made me spell it out! Thanks for the reply btw.

#4 Chefkoch

Chefkoch

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Ladyboys and Girls!

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

Have done it and if you are fit and not old, then it's a good option. (you still will sweat a lot) 

You have to walk some stairs up and down at Phaya Tai and Nana with your bags.

You are saving around 300B to the taxi ride. (not really much)

Edited by Chefkoch, 13 May 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#5 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

A whole lot faster than taxi all the way. I usually travel to Makkasan and transfer to taxi for the 'final furlong'. They have lifts, so no stairs to struggle on and a taxi stand which is pretty well organised. I don't know how the journey time compares to Phaya Thai, but on a map Makkasan is much closer to Nana.

• thonglovernow likes this

#6 ladypat65

ladypat65

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

The only way i would travel into Bangkok when i arrive.

Just go down to ground floor, change money if needed, then get a 40 baht ticket to Phaya Thai bts.

Get an bts all day pass for best value and then connect onto Nana.

Nice views coming into Bangkok and aircon all the way.

Feed up sitting in traffic jams getting in from the airport.

Having said that i travel with hand luggage only but still a great way to arrive. 

• patnya likes this

#7 andycoys

andycoys

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:17 AM

​Good service, very busy and make sure you have enough coins for tickets. if you got suitcases it may be a problem.

#8 Anythingoes7

Anythingoes7

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:The usual

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

I've stayed at 2 hotels near Nana BTS and the Rail link is a great option from BKK airport if your on a tight budget, it's very cheap & fast, however if you have a suitcase (s) I would take a Taxi option, as even a short walk can be exhausting in the Bangkok heat.

#9 ttggbb

ttggbb

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

Is the train air conditioned? Just the walk alone with luggage would kill it for me.

#10 Devman

Devman

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:06 AM

Is the train air conditioned? 

Yes.

#11 ladypat65

ladypat65

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

I would recommend everyone try this route unless they have 3 or more large suitcases to manage.

All the little extras add up and i try and be a little bit cuter now and get as much bang for my baht as possible. 

#12 Kendo UK

Kendo UK

-

• 10,739 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

A whole lot faster than taxi all the way. I usually travel to Makkasan and transfer to taxi for the 'final furlong'. They have lifts, so no stairs to struggle on and a taxi stand which is pretty well organised. I don't know how the journey time compares to Phaya Thai, but on a map Makkasan is much closer to Nana.

Yeah good shout, Makkasan station brings you much closer to Nana/Sukhumvit district than going all the way to Phaya Thai.

#13 thehawk

thehawk

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:01 AM

Yeah good shout, Makkasan station brings you much closer to Nana/Sukhumvit district than going all the way to Phaya Thai.

Phaya Thai is not much more and it gives you access to the BTS Skytrain. If going to Nana then there is nothing in it, Makkasan you need to wait for a taxi which can be patchy at times, then the traffic can be bad.

#14 Kendo UK

Kendo UK

-

• 10,739 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:39 AM

Makkasan also links to the MRT subway (Phetchaburi). Only 1 stop from Asok/Terminal 21/Soi Cowboy.

#15 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:37 AM

I have never really had a problem with waiting for a taxi at Makkasan but I may have been lucky. They have a manned desk so it not like you are left to fend for yourself and flag down a cab. As for traffic...is there anywhere in Bangkok that is immune ?

#16 Knobby

Knobby

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Music,Sexy fun and games, photography.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

The only way I get from swampy to nana now.

Wont use a taxi anymore.76 baht from swampy to nana bts.

#17 spooky60

spooky60

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

I am staying at raumchitt plaza on sukimvit between soi 15 and 14...what trains would you advise leaving from swampy airport ...makassan station or stay on train to phaya thai station...and should i get off at terminal 21 when i am fairly close to the hotel? Thanks for any help..leaving in 7 days!!

Edited by spooky60, 30 May 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#18 ladypat65

ladypat65

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

I always get to phaya thai and buy an all day bts pass.

Yes you have to walk down some stairs and connect onto the bts.

However, this beats the chance of getting in a cab and getting stuck in sukhumvit traffic.

#19 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

I am staying at raumchitt plaza on sukimvit between soi 15 and 14...what trains would you advise leaving from swampy airport ...makassan station or stay on train to phaya thai station...and should i get off at terminal 21 when i am fairly close to the hotel? Thanks for any help..leaving in 7 days!!

You have 2 options. First, stay on train until Phaya Thai and use stairs to connect to BTS for either Nana or Asoke stations. Your hotel is virtually in the middle of those two stations and a 10-minute walk will get you there. Second is to alight at Makkasan and use the skywalk (signposted) to get to Petchaburi MRT. From there it is one stop to Sukhumvit station which is essentially the same as Asoke BTS.

#20 spooky60

spooky60

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thank you very much you made the stress level go down one complete notch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users