Sign in to follow this  
liverpool

Statins

Rate this topic

Has anyone had experience of Statins, maybe still taking them?

I'd be grateful to hear any comments you may have.

Firstly a quick explanation from me: About a year back i had a slight stroke, nothing [other than the hospital bill] too serious, it was pretty mild. The only effects were slight problems for a while with taste and smell capabilities, and unbelievably i had lost the ability  to tell the time. All is now okay again.

The Doctors prescribed the usual treatment of Aspirin as a blood thinner, and Statins as i suppose a cholesterol treatment.

Now, after a year of taking the Statins i recently had a blood sugar and cholesterol check, and the results were amazingly good, very very good, absolutely no problems.As well as taking the pills i've also changed to a decent diet and exercise daily, both walking and cycling as well as light work outs in the gym. i'm 66 by the way so don't go too crazy with weights and suchlike.

I worry about the Statins, they can have big side -effects. Obviously they, along with diet and exercise have worked. But the side effects at the moment [mainly very dark urine] are worrying. i have spoken to my ex in England, who is not a medical doctor but is a highly qualified Dr. of Microbiology in a famous London Hospital. She tells me that Statins are now being questioned by the medical profession as being a cure that can be worse than the disease. And that the previous recommendations that statins should be taken  for the rest of a persons life are now being re-thought.

So, my question... Has anyone out there gone down the same road as me and stopped the Statins, And if so are you still alive?...

My thoughts are now quite simply, if there is no longer a cholesterol problem and i check this regularly. Is it worth actually taking Statins now, assuming that diet and exercise will help with this too.

I know that you Dear reader are probably not a Doctor, but i'd be interested to see if anyone has decided to do the same as i have.

Thanks.

I have been on Simvastatin (and aspirin) for nearly 3 years now. .... absolutely no problems. There does appear to be some issue with muscle stiffness in a minority of users (mainly with high-dose statins which are no longer recommended.. My brother and his wife are both GPs. Both would advise that the benefits vastly outweigh any minor side-effects.  

My advice would be to keep taking them and discuss any issues with your GP, not the forum (and to take anything written in the Daily Express with a large pinch of salt) 

I have been on Simvastatin (and aspirin) for nearly 3 years now. .... absolutely no problems. There does appear to be some issue with muscle stiffness in a minority of users (mainly with high-dose statins which are no longer recommended.. My brother and his wife are both GPs. Both would advise that the benefits vastly outweigh any minor side-effects.  

My advice would be to keep taking them and discuss any issues with your GP, not the forum (and to take anything written in the Daily Express with a large pinch of salt) 

Same ...been taking them for 8 years to lower hereditary / genetic cholesterol levels (adjusting diet alone doesnt seem to work ) 

Am currently on 60mg/day and no adverse effects plus an aspirin  ....maybe muscle loss , but that could be advancing age and stopping physical labour .

thanks Zoonie.

The problem is that it is hardly possible to discuss with a  GP here in Thailand where i live. i am signed on with a Government Hospital way out in Isaan. Sure i could use a private hospital in Pattaya and possibly get a Doctor that speaks English,The last time i was there in Isaan i mentioned the 'Dark Urine' side effect after going with an interpreter and he just gave me more pills for a possible Kidney Infection which i didn't have.

Since i stopped the Statins 2 weeks back, the Urine is perfectly clear, colourless and normal again.

thanks Zoonie.

The problem is that it is hardly possible to discuss with a  GP here in Thailand where i live. i am signed on with a Government Hospital way out in Isaan. Sure i could use a private hospital in Pattaya and possibly get a Doctor that speaks English,The last time i was there in Isaan i mentioned the 'Dark Urine' side effect after going with an interpreter and he just gave me more pills for a possible Kidney Infection which i didn't have.

Since i stopped the Statins 2 weeks back, the Urine is perfectly clear, colourless and normal again.

Mate where are you in Issan???

There is some good hospital there with good English speaking doctors in the major centres.

cheers

Edit: I meant to say English speaking drs.... not actual English drs.

Liverpool...what dose are you on? Coloured urine seems to be associated with muscle secretions from high (80mg) doses which are not now advised. I am on 40 mg

Thanks Lord jim

and ausmagoo.... The hospital which is where i was taken after having the stroke is in Nang Rong. I now live in Pattaya. Don't get me wrong i am very grateful to the Hospital, i suspect that wherever i go prescribed treatment would be the same, the Statins and Aspirin, seems to be the same the world over. I guess too that side-effects affect some but not all.

It just makes me think; why take the pills when after the recent check-up, the problem, cholesterol, has gone?

The thing with statins is that you can eat all sort of cholesterol filled shite like cream buns, pork crackling, fish n chips and your cholesterol will still remain low. Of course a sensible diet will help, but many have a hereditary issue. My dad dropped dead at 44 with a heart attack, and I have one coronary stent now...so I'm just trying to keep the odds in my favour

Edited by Zoonie the Lazoon

yes indeed Zoonie, look after youself mate. I recall back in 1990 i had a health check with my company doctor, he found high cholesterol and told me " 2 choices, you can have the Statins but you'll need to take them permanently or you can try diet and exercise and we'll keep a regular check on cholesterol levels". So i actually survived another 26 years with no problems until 2016. I am for the record pretty convinced that i was my own worst enemy. Quick explanation: for about 4 years in thailand i hit money problems and so living was on a very frugal basis, i lost a lot of weght. And then that wonderful thing happened...... Pension time came! i just went crazy though, pies and chips, english breakfasts... anything went down the neck. I was so happy to be eating again! within 6 months of pension coming i was back from 9.5 stone to my normal 11.5 stones. The problem being was that i had lost a lot of muscle but regained a lot of fat instead... as i said, my own worst enemy, i'm pretty convinced that those few months of eating utter shite between pension arriving and the stroke led to the stroke.

Thanks Lord jim

and ausmagoo.... The hospital which is where i was taken after having the stroke is in Nang Rong. I now live in Pattaya. Don't get me wrong i am very grateful to the Hospital, i suspect that wherever i go prescribed treatment would be the same, the Statins and Aspirin, seems to be the same the world over. I guess too that side-effects affect some but not all.

It just makes me think; why take the pills when after the recent check-up, the problem, cholesterol, has gone?

No problem mate .... you got to a hospital when you had a problem and they helped you.... cannot ask for more than that.

As you live in Pattaya now there is a few good hospitals and there is different opinions of them all.

When I am in Pattaya and have a problem... I go to the International Hospital on Soi 4.. always have had good service and good advice ... but admittedly a little dearer in price but for the advice/service I got I was happy to pay.

There is a hospital just out of Patts which I am sure some BM knows.... towards Sathtip??? not sure mate but I am sure someone will know. Also the hospital on Soi Bukwow(sp) is suppose to be ok but I have never used it.

cheers

thanks Ausmagoo, nobody can spell Soi Bukhow... including me! re the Sattahip hospital, which i believe is a Government hospital, i have been recommended that one. I think now i'll see how it goes without the Statins, check the blood again in  a couple of months and if the cholesterol is creeping back up, then i'll pop the pills again and visit the hospital, Nang Rong is a long way from here.

Statins are only recommended for high cholesterol levels or high levels of ldl vs hdl.

You can get a cheap overall test for cholesterol in a clinic - no fasting necessary.

For more accurate testing and with a breakdown of hdl,ldl and triglycerides you need to fast.

Also a diet with low saturated fat is good - eat local thai food.

My mate is on them and he swears by them. I was prescribed them after a high cholesterol reading (potentially a blip at time of testing) and hated them...muscle aches like you wouldn't believe. I figured out my eating could do with a rethink and changed diet to something more sensible. Doctor said I could take a lower dose but I declined. Cholesterol is back in range so maybe statins weren't really needed after all. Unless your condition is hereditary I would suggest eating healthy as an alternative to taking drugs.

I was prescribed a hardcore statin (Crestor) a few years ago after having a few stents fitted,but had subsequent intolerable muscle pain and immediate memory failings. I had to abandon their usage.

My cardiologist asked me to persevere with the statins,so I migrated to Simvastatin and gradually upped my dosage from a very very  low 5mg to 10mg,then 20mg before going all out for 40mg. I managed to tolerate the higher doses without any side effects,and have now been happily taking them for the last seven years. Cholesterol is maintained as extremely low and all is well.

Any statin is better than no statin,even a very low dose will have a benefit.If you can tolerate a low dose,up the mgs in small steps and see how it goes.

Statins are only recommended for high cholesterol levels or high levels of ldl vs hdl.

You can get a cheap overall test for cholesterol in a clinic - no fasting necessary.

For more accurate testing and with a breakdown of hdl,ldl and triglycerides you need to fast.

Also a diet with low saturated fat is good - eat local thai food.

Think I would argue that many Thai foods are clearly not healthy nutritionally (delicious yes) 

They eat very few vegies in many dishes , much meat and startch and a lot of oil and sugar ...oh and shit loads of salt (fish sauce soya etc ) 

If you care about your diet you should eat Mediteranean ...fish , meat only in smaller portions , lots of veg , garlic , nuts , olive oil (uncooked) and a wide variety of all seasonal foods 

Edited by LordJim

May I offer this:

The argument that many Thai foods are not healthy centres around the Farang perception of restaurant dining.

Which, in turn, does not include much of what might be loosely termed "Hard Core" Thai cuisine.

Thus the traditional Thai dishes most Farangs experience in Thai restaurants are, indeed, a thinly catered recipe of:

This veggie, with that, or that meat with this veggie.

No offal in sight.

Which is the missing ingredient in a balanced Thai diet.

Indeed, the lack of Bush food is well evident, also.

Thus, the notion is moot, when sampled from the perspective of a Tourist, longer term.

Interesting point, here.

Those that plan to stay longer term in LOS need to, if they intend to live on Local cuisine,

acquaint themselves with the full menu.

Not just the, for example, Asparagus with prawns (Nor Mai Farang Gap Gung) or Pad Thai. Or whatever.

If you can't do this, then get your well worn arse, once a week to a Farang establishment and get a big steak dinner, with all the trimmings.

And a beer.

Oh, and watch the Footy.

:)

May I offer this:

The argument that many Thai foods are not healthy centres around the Farang perception of restaurant dining.

Which, in turn, does not include much of what might be loosely termed "Hard Core" Thai cuisine.

Thus the traditional Thai dishes most Farangs experience in Thai restaurants are, indeed, a thinly catered recipe of:

This veggie, with that, or that meat with this veggie.

No offal in sight.

Which is the missing ingredient in a balanced Thai diet.

Indeed, the lack of Bush food is well evident, also.

Thus, the notion is moot, when sampled from the perspective of a Tourist, longer term.

Interesting point, here.

Those that plan to stay longer term in LOS need to, if they intend to live on Local cuisine,

acquaint themselves with the full menu.

Not just the, for example, Asparagus with prawns (Nor Mai Farang Gap Gung) or Pad Thai. Or whatever.

If you can't do this, then get your well worn arse, once a week to a Farang establishment and get a big steak dinner, with all the trimmings.

And a beer.

Oh, and watch the Footy.

Regarding your "hard core Thai Cusine " ...I know that food ...its full of good veg / herbs and roughage , lots of raw ingredients .....problem is that none of the current generation nor we visitors eat that food ...they live on street food which certainly appears to be better than Euro Fast-food , but  is possibly not when you look at the actual content 

Even a basic stir fry / Pad Thai starts with a very generous scoop of oil , followed by lots of carbo noodles , salt , sugar , eggs etc 

Coconut cream/oil/ milk ...loaded with cholesterol as are shrimp ( which are farmed on a diet of shite so are tasteless ) 

And they eat a lot of deep fried stuff ...chicken etc 

And not an health issue but they overcook fish until its inedible for me ...dry /dry/ dry ...that must leach out all the good fish oils 

Regarding your "hard core Thai Cusine " ...I know that food ...its full of good veg / herbs and roughage , lots of raw ingredients .....problem is that none of the current generation nor we visitors eat that food ...they live on street food which certainly appears to be better than Euro Fast-food , but  is possibly not when you look at the actual content 

Even a basic stir fry / Pad Thai starts with a very generous scoop of oil , followed by lots of carbo noodles , salt , sugar , eggs etc 

Coconut cream/oil/ milk ...loaded with cholesterol as are shrimp ( which are farmed on a diet of shite so are tasteless ) 

And they eat a lot of deep fried stuff ...chicken etc 

And not an health issue but they overcook fish until its inedible for me ...dry /dry/ dry ...that must leach out all the good fish oils 

If all else fails.....

I have some unleached oil for you.

sorry all, my thread and i'd sort of forgotten about it! too far down the page...

thanks for all the advice. i'll go for another blood test at the end of this month and see what is happening.

Zoonie, i misled you with the dosage, the pills are 40mg but the dosage is half a tab a day.

There are many different statins and everybody reacts different to it. If you don't like the one you're on than maybe try another. But offcourse discuss this with an expert not just a GP.