187 replies to this topic

#1 John Dean

John Dean

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

I plan to retire soon to Thailand. Can I please get some info on the cost to live comfortably in Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket or Chiangmai? My pension is around 65,000 baht a month and I have nest egg.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#2 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

Have you spent any time in Thailand? If so, how much did you spend whilst on vacation?

What hobbies will you have?

65,000baht would not be enough for me, and I don't drink much.

#3 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

Sounds ok if you are not out partying every day.

#4 astrolopitec

astrolopitec

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Interests:Gold painted pagodas.
    Cooking with asbestos.
    Elephant husbandry.

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Your money will take you farther in LOS than back home. The problem is that the enticement to "consume"  is omnipresent in LOS.

We are used to maintain a certain degree of budgetary discipline in the West. But when we land in the East, many go nuts. What do you expect as result?   

• hanz and LordJim like this

#5 tumaraiyoo

tumaraiyoo

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

65000 a month is more than enough.

• Jimmy_Lovepants and LordJim like this

#6 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:21 AM

POPULAR

It depends.  How well can you adapt?  How many western comforts do you require?  I have what I consider a great apartment in Chiang Mai.  It costs 3000b per month (last month was 3384b all included).  Just as an example it is 24sqm with aircon, fan, fridge.  All appliances were replaced in 2013.  Some people would insult a place like that but I love it.  It is clean with excellent natural lighting and big windows.  There are Thai style places much cheaper and obviously the sky is the limit for housing.  

If you can eat Thai food you could spend under 100b per day on food.  If you need western food you will spend 300b and up per day on food.

Will you buy a motorbike?  Do you like to walk?  The location of your room plays a big part in transportation costs.  If you are near the baht bus it can save you money in Pattaya.  

What about alcohol?  Do you drink regularly?  If so, where and how much?  If I grab a bottle of lao kao and mixer I can get loaded for a couple days for under 100b.  If you want to drink at the girl bars a single beer is around that price.  

What will you spend your days doing?  Gym?  Maybe your condo will have on included.  Girls?  This is the big expense.

I have seen farang spend as little as 10,000b per month, I can spend 20,000b a month comfortably.  That is with a gym membership, some western food, and some beer but not overdoing it.  That price includes a couple short times but mostly you will need to get girls for free.

With more money for me personally I keep all the expenses the same and just increase the girls.  So 40,000b would be a girl almost every day.  

Really you will need to come here and find out what is good for you.  You can be as cheap or as generous as you want.

• samuel555, Jobe, hanz and 2 others like this

#7 gradys

gradys

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:05 AM

POPULAR

Here we go again... 

I say 100k is the number.

• Pad thai boy, stallion79 and wadshooter like this

#8 LadyboysRock

LadyboysRock

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:14 AM

65,000thb is enough to live on as others have stated. Although my last trip I was there for 3 weeks and spent about 240,000thb lol.

#9 hanz

hanz

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

It's always great to read about guys enjoying their life in Thailand...comfortably... for 65k baht...or less a month...but what happens if you get sick...or get hit by a motorbike going the wrong way on a one way street...or drop a weight in the gym and break your foot...shit happens...especially in Thailand.

A lowball budget that does not include a health care plan can result in a "nest egg" gone...or a ticket back home....or worse.

Attached Files

• Attached File  shit.jpg   35.68KB   43 downloads

• wfkiwi69 likes this

#10 tumaraiyoo

tumaraiyoo

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

It's always great to read about guys enjoying their life in Thailand...comfortably... for 65k baht...or less a month...but what happens if you get sick...or get hit by a motorbike going the wrong way on a one way street...or drop a weight in the gym and break your foot...shit happens...especially in Thailand.

A lowball budget that does not include a health care plan can result in a "nest egg" gone...or a ticket back home....or worse.

Its called Health insurance!  AXA does great comprehensive cover through Pattaya expats for about 30,000thb a year, includes treatment for heart attack and hospital stays, emergency accident treatment etc

Edited by tumaraiyoo, 25 September 2017 - 05:39 AM.

• wfkiwi69 and ZONE69 like this

#11 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

...but what happens if 

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to always be increasing my savings rather than draining it.  I maintain my monthly living expenses as a percentage of my income where I am still able to put money away.  In addition to savings it is always smart to have an emergency fund, especially when living in a foreign country.  

#12 samuel555

samuel555

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

There are people living on 65,000 baht a month and less! In the U.K !

Everybody is different and live differently...

Obviously health insurance is a must as far as I'm concerned, hopefully 3 or 4 years and I can retire. I wil probably spend about 6 months a year in Thailand then. For me and most I'm guessing! As we get older we drink less and party less...th most expensive stuff in Thai is accommodation booze and the girls!
  • Jobe and LordJim like this

#13 ttggbb

ttggbb

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

65000 a month is more than enough.

If you live on the poor side of town, site in your room 70% of the time and eat like a native. Fuck that is less than $2000 per month!!! Before taxes.

#14 ttggbb

ttggbb

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to always be increasing my savings rather than draining it.  I maintain my monthly living expenses as a percentage of my income where I am still able to put money away.  In addition to savings it is always smart to have an emergency fund, especially when living in a foreign country.  

Saving for what??? The after life????

#15 skippy123

skippy123

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

Another point I think that was commented on before is, look at how you would be living in your home country and compare that to how you would be living in Thailand on the same amount.

Pick the better one.

• astrolopitec and John Dean like this

#16 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

You can exist on 65,000 baht a month, but some would not regard it as living.

#17 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

This video may help - looks at a variety of lifestyles.

• John Dean likes this

#18 LadyboysRock

LadyboysRock

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

You can exist on 65,000 baht a month, but some would not regard it as living.

Many Thais live on 1/2 that each month. Granted many of us are used to a different lifestyle.
  • John Dean likes this

#19 LazyJay

LazyJay

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:managing my stable

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

POPULAR

I spend about 40,000 baht a month including visa runs. I own my condo so no rent, (if I was going to rent a similar place to the condo I own it would cost me about 12000 baht a month). I run a car and motorbike that I own outright. I only go out to bars couple of times a week and I am not a big drinker. I have several hobbies away from the bar scene. I speak enough Thai to socialize with Thai's as well as expats.

I visit BKK quite often but when I am there I stay with my LB-gf's family place or with a good friend who has a big place on Asoke, so BKK visits only really cost me the petrol money and Motorway toll's, however I normally end up spending slightly more on food and going clubbing when in BKK than when in Pattaya.

I have a good internet connection in my condo and can watch UK and US tv online and play my xbox etc some nights.

I have everything else I need in my place, 2 LED TV's, washing machine, good sound system, a comfy big L-shape sofa, a good quality mattress, 2 aircon units etc. My first year here I spent more kitting out my condo, buying my car and bike etc so bare this in mind.

I belong to a decent air conditioned gym and spend a couple of hours in there every other day. The membership there is 7500 baht per year.

I don't use aircon that much because I get a decent sea breeze in my condo and I actually hate the cold so my electric bill is normally only around 500 baht a month. My water bill is normally around 200 baht. My internet bill is about 600 baht and my mobile phone including the 4G package is about 350 baht.

I am below retirement age so I have to go on a visa run every 90 days, so if you are over 50 you can get a retirement visa you won't need that expense.

I will say I almost never pay for sex. I am dating an LB is a fairly open relationship, she stays with me sometimes, I don't 'sponsor' her but I normally pay when we go out together. (although sometimes she surprises me and pays the bill for food or buys me clothes etc) I have a few other LB friends/giks and who I can see when my main GF is busy doing her things. Speaking a bit of Thai and keeping in shape helps with that. If you need to pay for a girl a couple of times a week or want a 'salary gf' you would need to factor that in. An older friend of mine lives with a tidy looking LB in BKK and gives her about 12,000 a month.

I like Thai food and can eat the same as Thai people most of the time, but I do have a Sunday roast, Pizza or a decent steak sometimes. I also use gym supplements which I included in my budget. 

I do not live on 40,000 baht a month because I have to, I have some income steams mostly from my home country that gives me about 90,000 baht a month depending on the exchange rate, I just don't feel the need to spend more, and I like have money over if I need to buy myself something like a new laptop, mobile phone or a few days away on the islands or a road trip somewhere, however most months I manage to save over half of my income.

I go to visit my home country once a year and I have not included the cost of that trip in my budget but I have included everything else. 

The people who say you need 100,000 baht a month to live here IMO are living a very lavish lifestyle in a big house or cannot say no to supporting girls and/or LB's or are eating and drinking themselves to death. 

Edited by LazyJay, 25 September 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• samuel555, dixon cox, darkdave and 10 others like this

#20 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

POPULAR

Another point I think that was commented on before is, look at how you would be living in your home country and compare that to how you would be living in Thailand on the same amount.

Pick the better one.

This advise above is the crux of it 

Guys who tell you that on 65k you will spend a lot of time being sad in your room , alone ...are often the same guys who live for 11 months a year sad  in their room , alone , to fund a yearly 240,000baht month of madness .

I am now in the UK (7 weeks now ) and I go out about once or twice a week and frankly its pretty underwhelming ! 

The rest of the time I do what most Brits my age do , watch TV , read , cook for friends or go eat with them sometimes etc etc 

So in Thailand , going out 2/3 times a week , for really good nights out is bloody great .

For me it's enough and I am not constrained by budgets ....its just enough (at my age I guess ) 

LazyJay's advise is spot on in terms of lifestyle and costs . We are good mates ( so I can divulge that his "Big Sofa"  is PINK ! ) 

Seriously though , he is the proof of the pudding ....his lifestyle here is far better than it would be on the same money in the UK .

I could name several other BMs in similar situations leading well balanced happy lives which exceed the life they would lead at home on the same money 

Others have already said it so this is reiteration ...look at the life you enjoy in your home country , factoring in the pleasure you take from friends and family who you will drift away from .

Then compare that to the life you can lead in Thailand on the same money , factoring in the fuck up factors of heath and the fact that you are totally on your own there ..if .you run out of money and you will starve , there is no Social Security or Family to fall back on .

Personally , I don't carry Insurance as I have too many preexisting issues and injuries , but you should take out insurance , it seems to be incredibly cheap if one can qualify 

My sincere advise to someone on the sort of money you are talking about would be to do it , but don't burn your home country bridges  ...... maintain your citizenship , pension rights and health care and in a perfect world keep a home you can return to ( many guys live incredibly well off the rent they get from renting their UK property )

Then if the shit hits the fan , you are a only a 12 hour 500£ flight away from salvation ( of course you will have to get in the back of the queue with all the Kosovans, Roumanians, etc 

...or if you are in the US ...Mexicans and Cubans 

Good Luck 

• LazyJay, Jobe, Pad thai boy and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users