John Dean

Cost of living in Thailand

Rate this topic

Surely the price of living in los would be significantly cheaper than living in the U.K.??

Just doing in los what you’d do regularly back home??

I'm guessing the monthly cost of running an average house in the UK is something like:

Council tax - £120

Gas and Electric - £80

Water - £25

Insurance - £20

Landline/internet - £30

That's £275 without food, car or leaving the house. At an exchange rate of 43 it equates to 11,825baht.

I hardly ever eat out at home but would do so even if I had my own property in LOS, Thai food is so cheap there.

You are giving up quite a bit. Harley, cars and boats. You can hire a Harley in Patts and go for a ride out sometimes. That would break up daily routine.

Hi Zeppo,

I haven’t done Thailand as yet but use to regularly hire Harley’s in Bali for rides & sightseeing there. Just wondering if you have done so & any info on hiring Harley’s in Pattaya Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry Kiwi, I haven't done it. This link might help.

https://www.route66thailand.com/

Thanks for info Zeppo, much appreciated If your about in Pattaya between 18-28th JulyWould be great to meet & have a beer with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Cost of Living in Thailand. 

Interesting to note that Immigration, for a retirement visa,  requires 800,000 Baht in the bank or a proven income of 65,000 per month.

They are not far out as that is what they estimate for a Farang to need to live in Thailand.

The sum for a retirement visa has remained the same for at least 10 years that i know of. As we know back then the exchange rate for many countrys was stronger. Think the £££ was mid 60s to the baht.

So you only needed to prove an income of approx £12.350 to reach ( based on 65b) the 800000b requirement. Year 2007

Now you need an income of approx £18.300 to reach ( based on 44b) the 800000b requirement. Year 2018.

A jump of £6000 in a decade.

Why the authorities have not increased this is beyond me. Feel a 5% increase would not be unreasonable if they did so in the coming year(s).  So the new lump sum figure would be 840000b.

Monthly proof of income to be  adjusted as well to match the lump sum.

Of course this not would be popular, and it may just be a hurdle to far for some ex pats and push them over the top financially,  if they could not prove they have funds avaliable and meet the criteria required.   So many would be forced to use an agent to obtain the required stamp in passport.  Many already  chose to take this route for various reasons.  Each to his own choice, or possibly circumstances already dictate.

The question to me is.......if you are sailing that close to the wind monetary wise and would bitch about a 5% increase. Are you really sure you should be living Thailand ?. After all this place has no safety net for poor farangs.

Rgds soidog.

A bit Apples and Oranges...

The exchange rate has been a disadvantage but my spending in Thailand is in Baht and not in UK Pounds so the 2 issues are really separate.

On one hand I am using more Pounds to buy the required Baht which affects me personally. In my time here 76 Baht down to 43 to the pound.

The up side is buying a home at that time was a reasonable decision.

On the other hand cost of living in Thai Baht has not increased that much - about 2% per annum over 10 years

Food and basic necessities seem to have had lower inflation. Not sure about Rents and Utilities. Beer has gone up about 30%

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

A very well put together breakdown.

We all have different lifestyles so not 'One Size fits All' but it shows that you can enjoy a reasonable lifestyle in Pattaya for under 65,000 Baht per month.

Thanks for the link.

Downside is that that, that breakdown was taken in 2015 when BT was 31 to 1 AU, now it's hovering round 24, so the pension would no where be enough. It's about AU800 a fortnight 1600 a month 37,000 BT...big short fall.

Edited by aussiemale

15 hours ago, aussiemale said:

Weak article, misses out on one of the most important single line cost items - health insurance inc dental care and the argument quoted' I’ve intentionally ignored a number of things, like health care for example, because I’ve never had to see a doctor for any reason as I’ve been accident free and never been seriously ill." is nothing more than pure ignorance. When the time  comes for a medical bill you'll have wished you made allocations for health insurance. Should not be able to receive a

Living expenses totally incomplete

Lifestyle expenses not even mentioned - clothing, shoes, haircuts, grooming products

Visa cost does not included the necessary travel expenses required to activate it.

3,400bah a month for rent, what a shit hole that must be and with Sophon cable installed, wow exciting options for what's on tv. The listed example  property in ther article is quoted at 24,000 / month , take a 50% discount off and its still almost 3 times gross of what the article writer is living in.

500 baht a day on food, yes it can be done, but oh how depressing, day in day out. But there are all you can eat places in malls etc for, and for instance I currently buy 5 mangos from a fruit market for 100baht, brilliant breakfast and start to the day when they are blended into a shake (blender price 4,000baht) but can be eaten as whole fruit. A bunch of bananas are around 60 baht.

Entertainment at 600baht a day - so this is the type of people that tuck themselves in the corner of a gogo bar with their one bottle of Leo.

Sad and inaccurate existence  indeed.

I read the article as "How you could live on 65,000 Baht per month"

It would not be my lifestyle choice but obviously others with less can do so.

Medical Insurance. Totally agree - it is not good to be here without - it is a necessity. Also note Medical insurance does not cover traffic accidents so riding a motorbike needs accidental cover.

Exchange rate is always the unknown parameter - arriving when it was 76 to 1 UKP and now 43. 

However I am living in Thailand so I need to look at the cost in Baht of living in Thailand.  Cost of living increase has only been about 2% but the pounds required to service that expense has increased by much more.

I did my initial planning at 60 Baht and over 12 years that has been about my average - hoping the current rate will improve.

In all my working life I realised that any formal pension (Old Age Pension, 401K, Super) was never going to be enough so made plans to save and invest - hope it lasts out.  All very useful information which needs to be adapted to reflect an individuals needs.

Weak article, misses out on one of the most important single line cost items - health insurance inc dental care and the argument quoted' I’ve intentionally ignored a number of things, like health care for example, because I’ve never had to see a doctor for any reason as I’ve been accident free and never been seriously ill." is nothing more than pure ignorance. When the time  comes for a medical bill you'll have wished you made allocations for health insurance. Should not be able to receive a
Living expenses totally incomplete
Lifestyle expenses not even mentioned - clothing, shoes, haircuts, grooming products
Visa cost does not included the necessary travel expenses required to activate it.

3,400bah a month for rent, what a shit hole that must be and with Sophon cable installed, wow exciting options for what's on tv. The listed example  property in ther article is quoted at 24,000 / month , take a 50% discount off and its still almost 3 times gross of what the article writer is living in.

500 baht a day on food, yes it can be done, but oh how depressing, day in day out. But there are all you can eat places in malls etc for, and for instance I currently buy 5 mangos from a fruit market for 100baht, brilliant breakfast and start to the day when they are blended into a shake (blender price 4,000baht) but can be eaten as whole fruit. A bunch of bananas are around 60 baht.
Entertainment at 600baht a day - so this is the type of people that tuck themselves in the corner of a gogo bar with their one bottle of Leo.

Sad and inaccurate existence  indeed.
There are many without health insurance. Its a choice, not compulsory, a gamble if you like, insuring your money in case you have a health issue. Maybe he is a healthy individual with good genetics. He,s the guy with 1 bottle of beer in the corner of the Agogo. He does this maybe because he doesn,t want to consume that much alcohol which would diversely affect his health. He doesn,t bother with buying ladydrinks because he's done it all before, he enjoys an hours aircon and the view. Keeping to his budget. His accommodation doesn,t have to be a shithole it could be immaculately clean but not palatial. Perhaps not a view which doesn,t bother him. People have different situations and some survive on less than 65000bt because they have to.

Sent from my ASUS_X013DA using Tapatalk

Wealthy can fly microlights, sail boats and play golf. Budget guys can walk, swim, go fishing parks, read books and join Gyms, play football or tennis, badminton quite cheaply. Eg In 2009 I joined Tonys gym group for 15000bt as a lifetime member. I have used the gym, saunas and pool regularly since. Tennis court can be booked for free as a life member. Haven,t paid anything since.

Sent from my ASUS_X013DA using Tapatalk