Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:cricket, Thailand and cinema

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hi Soidog, Zeppo, Captain B

Thanks for reply.

Funny I am Happy here in the colonies - I still play cricket (just completed my 55th season) and am chairman of my local side, my best mate who has place in Thailand lives in Swansea and my other mate lives in Birmingham and is a member here.

My best female friend (friend only) lives 50 miles away.

Yes it does rain a lot - I think people die of rust here

Rent £500 pm plus electric gas and water about £1000 a year - local rates just over £1000 a year

Car tax £280, insurance £350 plus fuel, house insurance £130 and TV £110

plus fun and Thailand (u got a LB GF u always need money)

Enjoy working from home, do a few antique fairs and recycling things from auction to auction.

Have to pay big money for Dentist so now get work done in Khon Kaen

I might be 67 but do not feel or accept it

After 36 years marriage not sure I want to head for another relationship

I can get about 50000 bt a month without earning anything else

Can easily get address at my friends and get on register can transfer cards to that address

If we lived in a nice gated community near BKK or KK I would be very OK, but we have disabled Grand mother who cannot walk at all to look after and 16rai of land to farm so not easy to move, Might be different when Gran goes.

I think 50000 a month should be good in the village as she will have the profit from the cane and the markets to help

I still have a lot of stock to shift so will not make a decision until next year

I could come back to UK and buy at auction take back to Thailand and keep interested with my friend doing my Ebay

Oh yes I also have 93 year old father who is getting bad demencia so feel I should be around to help my step-mother.
But I do miss my two cats in Thailand and my LB who awakes my old memory

so as usual with me dithering and duthering should I or should I not

Will talk to my girl when I am over at Xmas for 5 weeks

appreciate the sensible comments

Cheers

Edited by annat, 17 October 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#182 thaifiend

thaifiend

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

I already made a long post earlier in this thread, but since it is still alive I'll make another with different information.  My previous post talked about extreme budgeting.  I just wanted to share a few different scenarios that I have been in as examples of potential expenses.

If I am let loose on Pattaya with complete holiday short term freedom I spend about 30,000b per week.  That is a cheapish room, whatever food I feel like eating, and as many girls as I can fuck.  I'm not a huge drinker but I'll have a few.

If I live in Pattaya short term with an apartment I spend about 80,000b per month going crazy with 2-3 ST's every day.

Living in Bangkok with a girlfriend outside the center city was 30,000b per month for both of us.  I gave her the money each month and she would pay for everything.  She was a clever girl and was actually saving close to 10,000b per month of that!!  We had a nice apartment, she went to university, I would go to the gym and play computer games.  Eat at restaurants, markets, and cook in the room.  Farang food once a week.  Rarely drinking alcohol.  

Living in Chiang Mai alone at 20,000b per month.  Finding free hookups, drinking Thai whiskey, living cheap.  Going to the gym and working online.

Living in Pattaya long term at 40,000b per month.  Drinking most nights, cheap condo, sometimes paying for sex, sometimes for free.

• LordJim likes this

#183 LordJim

LordJim

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,353 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi Soidog, Zeppo, Captain B

Thanks for reply.

Funny I am Happy here in the colonies - I still play cricket (just completed my 55th season) and am chairman of my local side, my best mate who has place in Thailand lives in Swansea and my other mate lives in Birmingham and is a member here.

My best female friend (friend only) lives 50 miles away.

Yes it does rain a lot - I think people die of rust here

Rent £500 pm plus electric gas and water about £1000 a year - local rates just over £1000 a year

Car tax £280, insurance £350 plus fuel, house insurance £130 and TV £110

plus fun and Thailand (u got a LB GF u always need money)

Enjoy working from home, do a few antique fairs and recycling things from auction to auction.

Have to pay big money for Dentist so now get work done in Khon Kaen

I might be 67 but do not feel or accept it

After 36 years marriage not sure I want to head for another relationship

I can get about 50000 bt a month without earning anything else

Can easily get address at my friends and get on register can transfer cards to that address

If we lived in a nice gated community near BKK or KK I would be very OK, but we have disabled Grand mother who cannot walk at all to look after and 16rai of land to farm so not easy to move, Might be different when Gran goes.

I think 50000 a month should be good in the village as she will have the profit from the cane and the markets to help

I still have a lot of stock to shift so will not make a decision until next year

I could come back to UK and buy at auction take back to Thailand and keep interested with my friend doing my Ebay

Oh yes I also have 93 year old father who is getting bad demencia so feel I should be around to help my step-mother.
But I do miss my two cats in Thailand and my LB who awakes my old memory

so as usual with me dithering and duthering should I or should I not

Will talk to my girl when I am over at Xmas for 5 weeks

appreciate the sensible comments

Cheers

Seems to me that being semi retired , you should spend more time in Thailand , especially in the winter ...reduce your heating costs etc .

Personally I don't think I could do the boonies , but maybe if you gave up your house in Wales you could rent a decent room in Pattaya for about 6000B/pcm and split your time farm/Pattaya ?

But in order to really analyse your situation and give the best advise we really need to see a photo of your GFs knob ..

(Just joking btw......being serious , its great to hear success stories  )

#184 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:33 PM

Anaat, I mis-interpreted your wishes regarding your LT LB in LOS. Being as though you have hobbies and friends where you live, I'd consider 6 months in UK and 6 months in Wales. Given the weather in Wales and your cricket, I'm sure you know which 6 months should be spent in the UK :)

#185 gaga

gaga

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

POPULAR

There are lot's of sensible answers and advice on here. The bottom line is what do YOU want. What are YOUR needs to enjoy a happy and comfortable day to day and what can you afford?

Either way however much you spend there are things you are going to love and things that are really going to get on your tits eventually - the more you spend the more you can insulate yourself from the irrational quirks of Thailand.

I've lived in Thailand twice (although never in Pattaya) and been visiting Thailand from the mid 80's until present day.

The first time I lived here was in CM and even then I was spending 8k baht per month on a 45sq mtr condo with a kitchenette type arrangement - 17 years ago. I allowed myself 20,000 baht per month spends including rent because I wasn't working. I bought a motorbike which was the best 25k baht I ever spent. At the time that was adequate and I really had a blast. I ate Thai food a lot and didn't cook at home much. From memory a bottle of Vodka in a bar was 700 baht with mixers - I think I probably still have a few stashed in bars up there :)

Then I moved to Bangkok the second time for a very well paid corporate job in 2011. $20,000 USD per month - I was grinning ear to ear for the entire 5 years! That kind of salary allows you lot's of choices and you can really have any kind of lifestyle you want. I am aware I was fortunate.

So, the second time around I decided that I wanted more space of the kind I would be used to in the west. Even so I only spent 35k baht on a 150 sq mtr condo with a separate, full kitchen. Full cable tv packages, maid (pennies), driver (slightly more pennies), lots of nice meals, girls/ladyboys, internet... it soon adds up. Even so, I found that around 150k per month was more than sufficient for a relatively opulent lifestyle. That, at the time, was $5k USD or £3k. You can't get anywhere near that kind of luxury in the states or the UK for that kind of money.

Anyway I'm blathering on but I think as others have said that 100k baht is a good number to set as a budget - if you can. Maybe most months you won't hit it but there will be times when the unforeseen happens - sick relative/friend, road accident, emergency trip home or other as yet hidden event - like running over a motorbike taxi driver... true story :) - or maybe a holiday away from it all - because I guarantee you that what is fresh and new will become irritating at some point. Can you live on 50k? Probably. Do you really want to? Only you can answer that.

my 2 cents

Edited by gaga, 17 October 2017 - 04:36 PM.

• gradys, annat and LordJim like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users