7 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

I do not know on which Thai airport this happens, but it is frightening.  Apparently it is the JetStar airliner, as you can see from the video. Your baggage gets "inspected" by the loading persons. Any comments?

http://www.facebook....37553786641916/

#2 Zoonie the Lazoon

Zoonie the Lazoon

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts
  • Interests:Bog snorkelling, professional gambling, becoming a sybarite, cooking dogs, extreme ironing, waterboarding, squirrel hunting, dominoes, vexillology, yodelling, collecting milk bottles, catching pigeons, knobbing, flying kites, selling pegs

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

I used to work as a baggage loader at a UK airport. It was a fairly common practice by some of the more unscrupulous members of the ground staff (not me, of course!  B) ). 

#3 LazyJay

LazyJay

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:managing my stable

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

Mini padlock - 69 baht

http://www.lazada.co...0.0.yqHIvB&ff=1

not having khun somchai go through your checked lugguge -  priceless

#4 xcom

xcom

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Food

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

I used to work as a baggage loader at a UK airport. It was a fairly common practice by some of the more unscrupulous members of the ground staff (not me, of course! B) ).

my friend works at Heathrow airport loadinh suitcases and if anyone upsets his missus who works at baggage checkin then he throws their bags on different flights to different continents

i would not be against it if someone wants to go through my bag as its just a holdall and I travel light with pockets full of money and no hand luggage I'm more likely to get taken into a dark room and given 21 questions, it's just security

But I expect people to be people, throwing shit about and thieving maybe good in theory but bad in practice

#5 soidog

soidog

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:expecting the unexpected

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

With just over 30 years working in an airport ground services environment that included baggage / loading / cargo. Heathrow was not christened Thiefrow for nothing. But that was in the days of lesser technology and surveillance. Dare I say the good old days.

With CCTV, bar coding, optic fibre cameras, swipe security cards, data recording, tracking of bags n cargo the days of dipping a case now days are rare. Just the odd bit of opportunism, before it was rather well organised certain flights were targeted both departure n arrival.

Example if your case has 10 cartons of cigarettes, but your allowance is only 1 carton. You can hardly report the theft, as you should not be bringing in more than your legal allowance. Same applied to money restrictions out of a country.

Firstly your case is dealt with by the baggage handlers, it is then passed on to the aircraft loaders. Behind the scenes of an airport in the depths of the baggage sort system that the public never see is a fascinating world.

Both had villains, but some were likable rouges..... In the duty room it was divided up to what was known as the deep end or the shallow end. Depending where you sat and who with. You were either IN or OUT. The deep end was the naughty boys. New staff were often told.....you stay here we will do this job.......by the dodgy team handling certain flights. Or sent on a time wasting mission so the newbie is out the way.

Most suitcases are now put into containers (AKC or AKE type) especially on long haul flights. The video was from the rear hold of aircraft where lose luggage and cargo are stowed.

Not condoning theft of personal belongings. But have seen some stunts being pulled, and know many funny stories. Theft did not just stop at passengers. Use to know an aircraft 're furbishment fitter over the engineering hangers who carpeted his whole house in hard wearing aircraft carpet. Cabin crew thought perks of the job was to help themselves to wine n spirits off the aircraft. A favourite method was to decant the chosen spirit or wine into a hot water bottle. Then carried off the flight in crew hand baggage.

Was happy days..........rgds soidog.

PS.....to BM xcom post #4 not an easy process for your friend to do by putting a suitcase that is not traveling with that passenger on to another flight deliberately so it gets lost. The bar code on baggage tag has to match up with the departing passenger for security reasons. Suitcase is scanned many times before, some by automation other by hand held scanner. So case n passenger can be reunited at final destination.
  • Zoonie the Lazoon likes this

#6 Botafogo

Botafogo

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts
  • Interests:Latin American Dancing, Travelling,Touring German FKK Clubs, Hanging around various European Racecourses while Drinking Beer.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

The fuckers went through my cabin bag sized hold-all one time at Phuket airport after it was taken off me and put in the hold because all the overhead lockers were full on the Air Asia, Phuket-Suvarnabhumi service.
When I got off the plane, my bag was waiting at the bottom of the steps with all the inside zip pockets open. As far as I could tell....nothing had been stolen, I’d had the foresight to remove all valuables including phone, iPad, credit cards, money and passport prior to handing the bag over.
Cash and jewels are probably what the thieviing fuckers are looking for.

#7 xcom

xcom

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:Food

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

Who knows, the bloke is 47 and been there for twenty odd years.. don't trust the cockney bastard myself

#8 insearchofxxx

insearchofxxx

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

The fuckers went through my cabin bag sized hold-all one time at Phuket airport after it was taken off me and put in the hold because all the overhead lockers were full on the Air Asia, Phuket-Suvarnabhumi service.
When I got off the plane, my bag was waiting at the bottom of the steps with all the inside zip pockets open. As far as I could tell....nothing had been stolen, I’d had the foresight to remove all valuables including phone, iPad, credit cards, money and passport prior to handing the bag over.
Cash and jewels are probably what the thieviing fuckers are looking for.

Luckily, up to now, nobody managed to get my hand luggage away from me and put it in the hold.
However, I experienced in my former company, that 80% of all laptops "lost", were those in the hand luggage in the hold.

Therefore, I now have a plastic bag in my hand luggage, so that I could take out everything somewhat valuable and put it under the seat in front of me.
- Their problem, if that needs time and they cannot take off because of me ... In the end, it's the airline's fault, if they don't control luggage dimensions and number of bags taken onboard, as often on inner-Asia flights (Filipinos, Indians and Chinese are exceptionally great in neglecting the regulations)

P.S. in Asia, normally a "don't dare to touch me"-face helps, just ignore them and they choose an easier target.

Edited by insearchofxxx, 13 October 2017 - 05:41 AM.

• hellah likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users