ThaiTwong

PREP, where to get?

Rate this topic

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya next month and want to get PREP just as another layer of protection, will always be using condoms but just a little worried...

Where can I get legit Prep in either Pattaya or maybe Bangkok before my cab to Pattaya?

Mate use the search option,plenty of infos to be found on this forum.

I would say easier to obtain in Bkk so maybe its better to make it your 1.stop in LOS (as i did for the same reason).

Cheapest option is Thai red cross anonymous clinic in Bkk but be prepared to spend couple of hours there.

Easier but more expensive can be had for example here:

https://www.silompulse.com/silom/

Take time this topis is really good covered on this forum,take a look.

Its not something you should take without consultation and a medical check up first.  Lots of unintended side effects and some nasty side effects for the unwary who think they can buy this off, consume and think its safe.

https://www.rxlist.com/truvada-side-effects-drug-center.htm

Been on it a year. Had no side effects, regular bloodwork everything (liver and kidney function) a-ok. Multiple 'slip ups' and still test negative.

Good choice to get on it. I als use Silom in Bangkok :)

Been on it a year. Had no side effects, regular bloodwork everything (liver and kidney function) a-ok. Multiple 'slip ups' and still test negative.

Good choice to get on it. I als use Silom in Bangkok :)

Do you remember the cost for a month supply including all tests and consultancy.

Do you remember the cost for a month supply including all tests and consultancy.

Same as cinema face pays :)

Bonus: theres a really good fb group called "Prep facts: rethinking HIV prevention and sex"

Ref   recent  chat on this site ( AGAIN)    about  HIV      RISKS    etc etc etc      I thought to flag up  PrEP     again   ,   cos I am wondering why  anybody      planning to come here   for   fun               is not on it ahead of time...                 Sort of " CLUNK CLICK EVERY TRIP...":ph34r:

On 10/14/2017 at 6:42 PM, ThaiTwong said:

I'm planning a trip to Pattaya next month and want to get PREP just as another layer of protection, will always be using condoms but just a little worried...

Where can I get legit Prep in either Pattaya or maybe Bangkok before my cab to Pattaya?

Ok,

Soooooo;

We're going here?

a-used-condom-on-the-ground-D04DA7.jpg

Yes, of course we are.

I must say, I don't know where to start.

Or stop, for that matter.

:)

Edited by Thaiman12
Because NO-ONE, ever, did the right thing when easier, but less responsible options were presented.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:16 AM, Cinema Face said:

I get mine at the faculty of tropical medicine, Mahidol Univerisity.  It's near Victory Monument, Bangkok.

For the blood work, consultation and 3 months supply, 3,400 Baht total.

At Pulse Silom I pay 500 for consultant, 500 for HIV test and 1125 pr box of PrEP, the Thai generic, a  total of 4375. Add on 500 more if you do the kidney test and additional 500 for Syphilis. 

If you are a repeat customer it is possible to choose Express and bypass the consultant fee although you need to speak to one anyway but no pay(Thai logic)

I never prebook appointments and have rarely waited more than 30 minutes.

They do have a poster to explain why they have higher prices and refer people to Red Cross if they want to save money. For me it's just more convenient to go there

Ok

Here's my contribution to this thread:

Go to ANY hospital in Patts.

Tell them last night your condom broke while having sex with a prostitute.

They will do an immediate HIV test and give you enough pills for 4 weeks and tell you to do another test afterwards.

Officially you are doing PEP now, but I've been told, its almost the same medication.

For PEP you get Truvada (Tenofovir/Emtricitabin) AND Dolutegravir.

For PREP it's only Truvada. 1 pill a day.

I did it in BKK Pattaya Hospital. No problems.

My question for the experts here is: Is Truvada alone enough for PREP or does the additional Dolutegravir make it safer?

6 hours ago, Somjot said:

Ok

Here's my contribution to this thread:

Go to ANY hospital in Patts.

Tell them last night your condom broke while having sex with a prostitute.

They will do an immediate HIV test and give you enough pills for 4 weeks and tell you to do another test afterwards.

Officially you are doing PEP now, but I've been told, its almost the same medication.

For PEP you get Truvada (Tenofovir/Emtricitabin) AND Dolutegravir.

For PREP it's only Truvada. 1 pill a day.

I did it in BKK Pattaya Hospital. No problems.

My question for the experts here is: Is Truvada alone enough for PREP or does the additional Dolutegravir make it safer?

Somjot, for PrEP 2 drugs are enough, Truvada or its generic equivqlent will do. They throw in the extra drug for PEP to give an extra layer of protection to prevent the virus taking hold as it is already in your body.

How mucg was the Dolutegavir if you don't mind me asking? 

Honestly I dont remember.

I got 2 plastic bags with the different pills.

All together with the HIV test, consultation with the doc and the pills about 3500,- Baht. Or maybe 5500,- ?

I told them to check Syphillis and Hep B also.

Would the Dolutegavir make the Prep safer?

I think it is a case of the less drugs required the better, they all have side effects, but yes the DTG would have mde the Prep, or PEP much better. It was approved a couple of years ago and is one of the main go to drugs for tratment in Western countries. Highly effective and has a high resistance profile. It was actually tested as a stand alone pill for treatment and was looking good for a while but on its own it did eventually fail.

3 minutes ago, Somjot said:

But don't the hiv positive people take Truvada AND Dgt as a permanent medication for years?

If yes, then I guess the side effects cannot be that severe.

Yes they take it for life, side effects for Truvada are Kidney issues and bone density loss, not sure of the DTG side effects as I do not take it. The side effects can be monitored and managed, excersise for the bone density and drinking litres of water for the Creatinine clearance. If things get to bad they change regimes. Kidney and Liver tests are done 6 monthly. 

The side effets are not that bad compared to the consequences of not taking them, certain death in a horrible way. If you are taking Truvada for prevention, just have the regular tests and take a break to let the Kidneys recover if needed, no permenant damage is caused to them as long as you keep an eye on them and stop the pills if needed.

I am thinking of taking prep on my upcoming trip which will be all of 10 days. Can you get prep for that short of visit or do they make you take a minimum of three months worth of pills. it would be a lot cheaper just to get 10 days worth  instead of having to buy three months worth of medication

Edited by spooky60

9 minutes ago, spooky60 said:

I am thinking of taking prep on my upcoming trip which will be all of 10 days. Can you get prep for that short of visit or do they make you take a minimum of three months worth of pills. it would be a lot cheaper just to get 10 days worth  instead of having to buy three months worth of medication

The bottles contain 30 pills. I can't imagine they split it and I would not want to take pills from a bottle that the seal had been broken on.

3 hours ago, spooky60 said:

I pay 1180 THB for a box with 30 pills at Pulse Clinic Silom. Take 7 days before +every day during the stay+7 days after. 

6 hours ago, lbshagger said:

Yes they take it for life, side effects for Truvada are Kidney issues and bone density loss, not sure of the DTG side effects as I do not take it. The side effects can be monitored and managed, excersise for the bone density and drinking litres of water for the Creatinine clearance. If things get to bad they change regimes. Kidney and Liver tests are done 6 monthly. 

The side effets are not that bad compared to the consequences of not taking them, certain death in a horrible way. If you are taking Truvada for prevention, just have the regular tests and take a break to let the Kidneys recover if needed, no permenant damage is caused to them as long as you keep an eye on them and stop the pills if needed.

Well, I was stupid with anabolics and testo in my 20ies and 30ies and paid for it (not talking about the money right now).

Won't repeat that mistake again now in my 50ies.

So I guess, if all experts say, Truvada as single medication is enough for prep, I'll go for it.

At least for my stays in Thailand.

Which means 12 weeks on and 7 weeks off alternating.