#41 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:09 AM

Ok so half a catastrophe. When do they start the boarding process, 2 hours before flight time?

45’ minutes are sufficient, even less.
Two doors on main deck and one door on upper deck.
Not s big deal.

#42 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

I haven't flown every airline that uses A380's  Frankly,  when I'm in Emirates business class, staggered seats or not, would

have next to zero importance to me.

I can assure you it does have some importance to many passengers, which is why it is done that way.

#43 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

I can assure you it does have some importance to many passengers, which is why it is done that way.

Some people are picky over everything. 1/2 the threads here are like that

#44 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Some people are picky over everything. 1/2 the threads here are like that

You should know :)

• fenton and sidsnot like this

#45 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:13 PM

You should know :)

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Get more training in comebacks

#46 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

Is 10 years of age not a bit young to be retiring aircraft??

#47 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

Is 10 years of age not a bit young to be retiring aircraft??

Yes an aircraft can be in service for over 40 years and more with the servicing and maintenance.  The engines have been taken off and used on other aircraft.  It could be mothballed and put into service again.  

#48 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

The a380 must be a big steaming pile of shite, if one just recently got retired after 10 years, sure I read it on this thread.
Or does the huge mass of the thing just do too much structural damage to it, that after 10 years they are goosed.
  • fenton likes this

#49 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

The a380 must be a big steaming pile of shite, if one just recently got retired after 10 years, sure I read it on this thread.
Or does the huge mass of the thing just do too much structural damage to it, that after 10 years they are goosed.

Wrong.. Airbus concept was on wrong market prediction. The A380 is with its 4 engines, its mass just to thursty, though the engines itself are economicaly..

Besides that, not all airports are equiped to handle the A380, and need enforced run-, taxiways and Terminal capacity.

The A380 is a child of the market predictions of the late 1990's and early 2000.. They needed to long to get it flying.

Airlines today prefere dual stream aircrafts with 2 engines, capable of flying long distances, easy to maintain, costing less and less in purchase and maintenance.

Besides that, many major Airlines have longhaul ETOPS capacity, which allow them to fly further away from emergency airports..

The time of the A340's, 747 and A380's is counted.. Most Airlines go for the 777, A350 and Dreamliner 787.. That is, where the markets are.. But more so, even smaller in the A320, 737 range.

Edited by silentmoebius78, 14 November 2017 - 06:52 PM.

• fenton and IRONicMAN like this

#50 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

It has a future, its one hell of an aircraft :-)

#51 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:53 PM

Been on the Dreamliner quite a few time with Qatar, thought it was an absolute cracker of a vessel, really enjoy flying in it.
  • fenton likes this

#52 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

It has a future, its one hell of an aircraft :-)

The Aircraft itself is great, that is the reason, why Airbus is continueing to improve it. They have a new generation with diffirent wing desighn and engines, but mods can not be incorperated into the 1 Generation..
  • fenton likes this

#53 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Been on the Dreamliner quite a few time with Qatar, thought it was an absolute cracker of a vessel, really enjoy flying in it.

As long as you don't know, what kind of people assemble it.. The merger between McDuglas and Boeing did Boeing not very good..
  • fenton likes this

#54 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

As long as you don't know, what kind of people assemble it.. The merger between McDuglas and Boeing did Boeing not very good..

The 787 is assembled in either Everett, WA ( where Boeing jets have been made for decades) or a new Boeing scab factory in South Carolina. It isn’t made at an ex- MD site. Boeing bought MD for it’s military jets. The F-15, F-18, the Harrier, etc. The
only commercial jets that was an MD jet that’s still being made is the MD-80 which is made for short haul airlines.

Seems nationalism is creeping in

#55 thehawk

thehawk

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

The time of the A340's.

That was more a white elephant, it just didn't work out economically for many airlines. I heard it ended up cheaper for Thai to keep them on the ground rather than continue flying them. Also pilots didn't seem to like them.

• silentmoebius78 and fenton like this

#56 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:58 PM

Not sure how the A380's special needs affected A380 sales but obviously it isn't selling like Airbus hoped. I inferred from the link I posted about Emirates buying 787s that (1) they are the only remaining serious A380 customer, (2) they are pissed off at Airbus for not making the changes to the A380 they wanted (more fuel efficient) and perhaps trying to apply some more pressure for the changes? If Emirate cancels their A380 orders production of the A380 will soon be history. But that is just IMO.

I've never flown a A380. I will perhaps get a chance someday NRT-BKK or BKK-NRT where Thai is a partner with United. United no longer flies it's own routes NRT-BKK. But so far every time I've done that route I was on ANA (mostly 787) which United seems to push over Thai (or is more available). I fly Cathay Pacific more than United and they seem to be going with the A350 to replace their 777s for long haul instead of the 787. I've only done HKG-BKK in an A350 so have little experience so far but it seems like a good choice and perhaps quieter (at least in business).

I like the 787 because the composite material allows the cabin to be pressurized to about 6k feet instead of 10k feet, the humidity is higher than an a metal shell plane can handle and they have some serious cabin air filtering. I assume the A350 has many of these traits as it's also composite material. But living in an arid climate after spending several month in the humidity of LOS extra humidity in flight is a good thing that allows me to get home to my humidifiers before my noise dries out and starts to bleed (yuck). 

FWIW

United retired it's last 747 yesterday. Quite an impressive run really although it's mostly been replaced by the 777 since about the start of this decade or so. 

The last version of the of the McDonnell Douglas MD series (MD-95) became the Boeing 717 after Boeing bought MD. It ceased production in 2006 but most are still in service domestically in the US.

• fenton likes this

#57 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:16 AM

An interesting article to supplement this thread.

http://www.telegraph...e-in-the-world/

• Len Dtuut likes this

#58 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:50 AM

The 787 is assembled in either Everett, WA ( where Boeing jets have been made for decades) or a new Boeing scab factory in South Carolina. It isn’t made at an ex- MD site. Boeing bought MD for it’s military jets. The F-15, F-18, the Harrier, etc. The
only commercial jets that was an MD jet that’s still being made is the MD-80 which is made for short haul airlines.
Seems nationalism is creeping in

Reason why I mentioned it, is not to moxk the competance of the people on the shopfloor, but the decissions made in management. All I know is, Boeing used to have their main assembly facility in Seatle, most of production under 1 roof. Now they do as Airbus dose, getting body sectioms from Italy, wings from Japan and so on and so on.. I do not say, the quality of the feeding factories are bad, I just say, I know what it means to get the modules from all over the world.. The dilivery delay they had was bc of problems with the Carbon body.. Would Boeing have made it better?? I doubt that, but if you give parts of your production somewhere else, then you become a passenger in your own coaster with almost no control..

#59 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:54 AM

That was more a white elephant, it just didn't work out economically for many airlines. I heard it ended up cheaper for Thai to keep them on the ground rather than continue flying them. Also pilots didn't seem to like them.

Yea.. Actualy there is the same problem with the engines.. The A340-300 was highly underpowered with its CFM Engines, which are to thursty with fuel and oil consumption, and the A340-600 with the RR Engines (which Thai has) are just to unefficient.. To thursty, and to difficult and expencive to maintain. The Body and Wings are the same as the A330..

#60 ttggbb

ttggbb

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

Cruise ships carry 5.000-6.000 passengers.
That would be a serious potential catastrophe.

there are no more Titanics. Last I checked Cruise ships do not fly. They do have escape routes, planes do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users