79 replies to this topic

#61 joiama

joiama

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:13 AM

Have flown SYD-BKK-SYD a number of times in business and find seat 23A is awesome as it's next to a window and has a bulkhead in front of it which makes it really private.  Also it's not to far away from the bar.  A really comfortable plane to fly on.

Edited by joiama, 15 November 2017 - 06:14 AM.

• fenton likes this

#62 mikegr

mikegr

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:36 AM

there are no more Titanics. Last I checked Cruise ships do not fly. They do have escape routes, planes do not.

Just imagine a collision with a 200.000 tones fully loaded tanker. Accidents still do happen unfortunately even on daylight. Last Titanic was in 1987 with 4.000+ victims.

#63 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Reason why I mentioned it, is not to moxk the competance of the people on the shopfloor, but the decissions made in management. All I know is, Boeing used to have their main assembly facility in Seatle, most of production under 1 roof. Now they do as Airbus dose, getting body sectioms from Italy, wings from Japan and so on and so on.. I do not say, the quality of the feeding factories are bad, I just say, I know what it means to get the modules from all over the world.. The dilivery delay they had was bc of problems with the Carbon body.. Would Boeing have made it better?? I doubt that, but if you give parts of your production somewhere else, then you become a passenger in your own coaster with almost no control..

Airbus, car manufacturers, cellphone makers, etc., don't make all their own parts.  Not sure why this would mean

something because Beoing doesn't

make all their own parts.  Anyway,  Airbus just got a big deal selling A320's to some US group, Private equity firm Indigo

Partners. The deal will spread the jets out across Frontier Airlines in the U.S., Mexico's Volaris, Wizz Air of Hungary and

newcomer JetSmart of Chile.

Every international flights I've taken have been on both Boeing and Airbus jets.  Why anyone would have a complaint about either

one, IMO,  is just nitpicking.  Both are fine airplanes.

#64 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,248 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

The a380 must be a big steaming pile of shite, if one just recently got retired after 10 years, sure I read it on this thread.
Or does the huge mass of the thing just do too much structural damage to it, that after 10 years they are goosed.

certain airlines keep their fleet very young and dropping the eldest aircrafts gets the average low.
EK got their 100th 380 now and plans to buy another 40. Some will replace the old ones and some will add on.
Inserting new planes in the fleet gives also the opportunity to introduce the latest seat configuration and class level from start. Avoiding the expensive refurbishments.
The new 787 recently ordered will introduce the new first class us yes along some 777.
The big question I have is: is there a second hand market for the dismissed 380’s? I personally doubt since Malaysian could not sell yet their 380’s they have in “excess” (oversized fleet)

#65 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:02 AM

Airbus, car manufacturers, cellphone makers, etc., don't make all their own parts.  Not sure why this would mean
something because Beoing doesn't
make all their own parts.  Anyway,  Airbus just got a big deal selling A320's to some US group, Private equity firm Indigo
Partners. The deal will spread the jets out across Frontier Airlines in the U.S., Mexico's Volaris, Wizz Air of Hungary and
newcomer JetSmart of Chile.

Every international flights I've taken have been on both Boeing and Airbus jets.  Why anyone would have a complaint about either
one, IMO,  is just nitpicking.  Both are fine airplanes.

Didn't complain.. Most aircrafts I have been on are Ok.. Only thing I have issues with is, stuff gets shiped around the world, bc some stuff is cheaper to produce elswhere.. And by saying, work is given externily, of cores I know, Boeing/Airbus can not produce everything in house.

#66 ttggbb

ttggbb

LB Connoisseur

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

Just imagine a collision with a 200.000 tones fully loaded tanker. Accidents still do happen unfortunately even on daylight. Last Titanic was in 1987 with 4.000+ victims.

Are you saying a cruise ship collided with a tanker and 4000 people died? If so, a  link to that article would be great. There always the ocassional ferry disasters that happen but if you get on a ferry, it was your decision!

#67 mikegr

mikegr

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

Are you saying a cruise ship collided with a tanker and 4000 people died? If so, a  link to that article would be great. There always the ocassional ferry disasters that happen but if you get on a ferry, it was your decision!

Here

https://en.wikipedia...iki/MV_Doña_Paz

note that the tanker's captain wasnt certified and the ship had serious maintanance issues. It could be a threat to any other ship in the area regardless how modern that, would be.

Another one

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/MS_Estonia

escape, my ass. in 3 minutes was sunk, 800+ dead.

In general, i feel quite safe on ships, my father was a seaman for 20 years. I feel safer than planes bu that just me, danger is present everywhere.

#68 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

So were they made by Boeing or Airbus?   :Electric Shock:

#69 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

Didn't complain.. Most aircrafts I have been on are Ok.. Only thing I have issues with is, stuff gets shiped around the world, bc some stuff is cheaper to produce elswhere.. And by saying, work is given externily, of cores I know, Boeing/Airbus can not produce everything in house.

Threadfuck:  And, IMO, that global economy isn't going to go anywhere.

#70 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

Threadfuck: And, IMO, that global economy isn't going to go anywhere.

Threatfu*k as well: Sadly no.. Soo to keep the maschine running, everlasting peace is imenent (which would be good), but is nearly impossible, due to different goals of different nations..

Issue with globalismn is, know how, craftmensship, gets lost and shipped as well, even if Boeing and other major (global operating) companies would want to produce in house, they couldn't..

Edited by silentmoebius78, 15 November 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• Tony Soprano likes this

#71 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

I read somewhere that there are over 10,000 aircraft in the air at any one time globally (average figure).  With Aviation set to increase (doubles every few years) this aircraft will eventually come into its own, future variants will.  

#72 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:53 PM

A tad conjested ?

What surprised me the busiest connection in Europe is between London and Dublin apparently.

Attached Images

• global air traffic.jpg

#73 transgirls

transgirls

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:32 AM

I think someone doesn't like A380.
He claims profit losses of 82% for Emirates while the company announced recently profit raise of 77% for 2017.

yes... the English are always biaised against anything produced in France although the Brits have a good share in Airbus.

I expect the A380 to do well.
Of course orders suffered from the economic downtrend, but air traffic has only been increasing even during difficult years.
Airports cannot be extended infinitely, and most airports already operate at max capacity regarding slots, airplanes every 2 to 3 minutes, and China's airline market has just begun a boom, it's going to grow exponentially over the next 10 years.

The only way to increase passengers without building new airports is bigger airplanes.
So I see no problems for the A380.

Edited by transgirls, 16 November 2017 - 05:33 AM.

• fenton likes this

#74 Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,559 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

Threatfu*k as well: Sadly no.. Soo to keep the maschine running, everlasting peace is imenent (which would be good), but is nearly impossible, due to different goals of different nations..

Issue with globalismn is, know how, craftmensship, gets lost and shipped as well, even if Boeing and other major (global operating) companies would want to produce in house, they couldn't..

Be way too costly. How much space would it take to design and manufacture every part-:)

#75 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Wicked LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:00 PM

The only way to increase passengers without building new airports is bigger airplanes.
So I see no problems for the A380.

Bigger airplanes require bigger gates so I don't think the A380 helps a space problem much. There are already problems for the A380. Emirates is basically keeping A380 production alive (for now).

#76 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:09 PM

Bigger airplanes require bigger gates so I don't think the A380 helps a space problem much. There are already problems for the A380. Emirates is basically keeping A380 production alive (for now).

New airports have and will be constructed to accommodate them. See my video I posted for the loop runway and airport :-). 

#77 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

Obviously if the parts are not manufactured in China we can breathe a sigh of relief. Petesie I recall mentioned it was a big problem be cause they don't meet the right standards. They are palmed off as genuine parts.

However I think this aircraft is perfect for their market, they are making tentative steps in civil aviation, the C919 I think.  Not certified yet but being tested.

Attached Images

• COMAC_B-001A_May_2017.jpg

Edited by fenton, 16 November 2017 - 08:56 PM.

#78 747libra

747libra

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:36 AM

I am lucky that I get to fly on this plane every year to Bangkok, First class. I fly from Manchester with Emirates via Hong Kong and it does not cost a single penny more to have this little detour. There is a lovely bar on the top deck for business and first class people. The last time I flew there was only two of us in the front so we had a shower each but weirdly they only gave us 10 mins in the shower

• fenton likes this

#79 dav662

dav662

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

The main reason for it is to due with airport congestion. Not by passengers but aircraft.
But this is an airport problem and not so much for the airlines.
I think this is where Airbus made the mistake.
Even now the very long hauls are still made by 777 even by airlines that have the 380.
I personally don't think it will become a success like the 747.
If any of the big 2 middle East airlines drop it, the 380 had it. Airbus should look to compete with the 777 with increased range and capacity
  • Scottiem1954 likes this

#80 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Airbus should look to compete with the 777 with increased range and capacity

It doesn't really have a aircraft that competes with it directly. 

https://www.quora.co...ent-of-the-B777

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users