#1 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

I was showing symptoms of influenza on the 22nd of Dec, serious shit, not had Influenza since the mid naughties.   

I had to work through crimby, but basically soldiered on.  Lemsip's, night nurse, any pharmacology I could lay my hands on I took.

Two rest days after my rotation, a bottle of whisky each night, to sweat the bastard out of me. The single malt was abused.

The fever has since subsided, not quite systems go.  What concerns me, I'm wondering if I may be contagious (like my posts on the forum 55) and should I consult a GP and get a sick note/letter and claim on my travel insurance?

The whole time I was ill, I still had my appetite.  I'm currently taking a berroca a day and munch on a clove of garlic which has endeared me to my colleagues. I think I'm good to go, just don't want this manifesting again on the flight and being quarantined at an Airport etc.

Is it selfish of me to contemplate going? after all how many times have you had the sniffels after a flight?

Edited by fenton, 07 January 2018 - 11:44 PM.

#2 SecondChance@Life

SecondChance@Life

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  • Interests:Football, Travel, and living life to the fullest.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

Ask yourself - are there LB nurses where you live? You know where the medicine is....

Resume recovery 😉
  • fenton likes this

#3 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts
  • Interests:The good, the bad and the ugly of Thailand.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

Listen to your mother.    :)

• fenton likes this

#4 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:34 AM

Listen to your mother.    :)

Luckily she was staying at my sisters over Christmas and avoided this affliction.  She was in a hot spot for Aussie flu, strangely enough.

She he has it in her head, I'm going to live in LOS, so I tend to use selective deafness :-) with our verbal exchanges 55.

Well been on the garlic for a couple of days, as a decongestant and a preventative measure for bacterial pneumonia.  Which is really what is concerning me m8.

I would be a serious contender to essex boy in the ciggie dept 55

:

Edited by fenton, 08 January 2018 - 02:17 AM.

#5 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:19 AM

Luckily she was staying at my sisters over Christmas and avoided this affliction.  She was in a hot spot for Aussie flu, strangely enough.

She he has it in her head, I'm going to live in LOS, so I tend to use selective deafness :-) with our verbal exchanges 55.

Well been on the garlic for a couple of days, as decongestant and a preventative measure for bacterial pneumonia.  Which is really what is concerning me m8.

I would be a serious contender to essex boy in the ciggie dept 55

:

When my mother saw that her lung x-rays were black she stopped smoking on the spot .... been nearly 3 years now ...  and her x-rays now clean. 

Only effective treatment for bacterial pneumonia are antibiotics       :Surgeon:           Give honey, lemon in tea a try as well for the Flu.  ;)

#6 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

Only effective treatment for bacterial pneumonia are antibiotics

I don't think I've got anything nasty, its just the weather here in the UK and I'm out and about in it.  This winter its been so unpredictable, catch you out, its as if the weather is actually trying to kill you.  

I better go see the Quack I reckon. 

#7 Quietguy

Quietguy

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I know there are different strains of flu, but if you were able to work over Xmas, I think it might be 'man-flu' rather than real flu.

I've heard that the way you can tell if you have real flu is that if you were standing at your window and saw a £50 note on the road outside and you were able to go out to pick it up you don't have flu.

I have had periods off work with 'flu' which were really heavy colds. I only once had real flu a few years ago. I could hardly stand up for 3 days, just staggering between bed, bathroom, and settee. I really thought I might die.

I was due to fly to Goa a week later, and didn't think I would be able to go. But by the day of the flight I was a lot better, though still phlegmy and coughing.

That cleared up within a couple of hours of arriving in hot weather.

Certainly you should consult your doctor, but I think you will get the all clear to fly.

But I hope you are not on the same flight out as me tomorrow!  :)   

Edited by Quietguy, 08 January 2018 - 10:13 AM.

#8 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

I know there are different strains of flu, but if you were able to work over Xmas, I think it might be 'man-flu' rather than real flu.

I've heard that the way you can tell if you have real flu is that if you were standing at your window and saw a £50 note on the road outside and you were able to go out to pick it up you don't have flu.

I have had periods off work with 'flu' which were really heavy colds. I only once had real flu a few years ago. I could hardly stand up for 3 days, just staggering between bed, bathroom, and settee. I really thought I might die.

I was due to fly to Goa a week later, and didn't think I would be able to go. But by the day of the flight I was a lot better, though still phlegmy and coughing.

That cleared up within a couple of hours of arriving in hot weather.

Certainly you should consult your doctor, but I think you will get the all clear to fly.

But I hope you are not on the same flight out as me tomorrow!  :)

Improving everyday m8.  

I've been to LOS half crippled 55.

Flown back from LOS in Anaphylaxis.

cheers

#9 LarryLong

LarryLong

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

You're usually only contagious at the beginning of feeling the symptoms. Once you are 3 or 4 days into feeling it, it's generally ok. Long-distance flights while having any kind of serious nasal/head congestion can be dangerous to your health, however.

• hellah likes this

#10 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:25 PM

If it can be dangerous to fly, Fenton when home just go on another flight 555

#11 hellah

hellah

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

You're usually only contagious at the beginning of feeling the symptoms. Once you are 3 or 4 days into feeling it, it's generally ok. Long-distance flights while having any kind of serious nasal/head congestion can be dangerous to your health, however.

This.

But if you're worried about your fellow passengers you could always wear one of those masks that the asians wear in public when they have a cold. 

#12 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

Gentlemen

Thanks for the feedback

Good to go!

Just a slight runny nose, but not unusual for this time of year :-). Thank Buddha.

#13 LWFM

LWFM

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:14 AM

Just read that the "Aussie Flu," H3N2 is all over the UK .... try not to give it to the Thais.     :rolleyes:         Have a great trip. :Trouser Cough: 

#14 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

Just read that the "Aussie Flu," H3N2 is all over the UK .... try not to give it to the Thais.     :rolleyes:         Have a great trip. :Trouser Cough:

It hit me like a sledge hammer m8 55. But the weather is terrible presently, gone milder but its damp, not good for your chest.  But happy I've pepped up.  Stocked up with Lemsips and other stuff if I take a turn for the worse.

I'm sure funds will stump to a LB nurse in LOS 55.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users