#61 OzzyC

OzzyC

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:You know...

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

To bring the thread back on track, I finally found the time to do the extension visa at home rather than in Thailand.

The good points about doing it at your local Thai Embassy back home is that it is cheaper, here it cost $55 aud (1320 baht) as supposed to 1900 baht in Thailand. Of course my local Thai Embassy is a 5 minute drive away.

The bad points, I had to provide a bank statement showing at least 20.000 baht in the account, you have to let them know of your work situation and employer, you have to show confirmed hotel bookings. In my opinion, I know a lot of bums go to Thailand but I think its a bit too much for a 60 day visa when there are certain countries like Brazil who get an automatic 90 day visa.

Obviously they are not confirming my place of work but I still think its a bit too much, I mean its Thailand FFS, not Monaco !

It also takes 3 business days, they have my passport now and I'll have to go back and pick it up where as in Thailand, its done on the day.

For any Australians out there wanting to do it, here's the website.

https://thaiconsulat...ey.org/en/visas

So I will now have a 60 day visa with the option to extend for a further 30 more days in Thailand for another 1900 baht, making it a 90 day visa.

#62 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:06 AM

^^^^^ I'm confused by this post.

You cannot get a 60 day SETV (or METV) when you are in Thailand, you have to get it at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in another country. You then extend it in Thailand at the end of your stay, you cannot extend it anywhere else other than an immigration office in Thailand.

#63 OzzyC

OzzyC

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:15 AM

^^^^^ I'm confused by this post.

You cannot get a 60 day SETV (or METV) when you are in Thailand, you have to get it at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in another country. You then extend it in Thailand at the end of your stay, you cannot extend it anywhere else other than an immigration office in Thailand.

What is there to be confused about?  I applied for the 60 day visa in Australia at the local Thai Embassy, I now have the option to extend another 30 days more when I get to Thailand...

I was only really planning on staying 60 days anyway so I could have entered Thailand on the 30 day visa exempt status and then applied for another 30 days there making it 60 but by doing it back home, I can now extend to 90 days, it was just additional info for people wondering what the difference is in doing it in Thailand or doing it at home before you leave.

#64 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

What is there to be confused about?  I applied for the 60 day visa in Australia at the local Thai Embassy, I now have the option to extend another 30 days more when I get to Thailand...

I was only really planning on staying 60 days anyway so I could have entered Thailand on the 30 day visa exempt status and then applied for another 30 days there making it 60 but by doing it back home, I can now extend to 90 days, it was just additional info for people wondering what the difference is in doing it in Thailand or doing it at home before you leave.

In your previous post you made it sound as if you had the choice of getting the visa in Thailand or the extension in Oz.

This post makes things clearer.

Edited by zeppo, 23 March 2018 - 06:38 AM.

#65 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

In your previous post you made it sound as if you had the choice of getting the visa in Thailand or the extension in Oz.

I was a bit confused also.

OzzyC my local consulate in the US makes me provide a bank statement for a SETV. I don't need to provide most of the other stuff. It sounds to me like your Thai embassy is making you provide most of the stuff needed for a METV even if getting a SETV? Although in the US one must show US$7000 in the bank for a METV. 

One other difference between getting between a SETV and a 30 day entry stamp extended. On a 30 day entry stamp your extended 30 days starts when you get the extension. So unless you go on the last day it is valid you don't get 30 days. Extending a TV you get a 30 days starting from when it would have expired even if you extend before the last day. 

It's a 140 mile round trip for me to go to my local consulate (that doesn't do visas by mail) but I can get an appointment and drive down and get it done in 30 minutes if necessary. But I usually do it by mail except this time I forgot until it was too late so had to drive the 140 miles. I had a trip booked for many months and i forget to apply for my visa by mail.  :blink:

Edited by Len Dtuut, 23 March 2018 - 08:17 AM.

#66 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

The only thing I need for a SETV is the form, 2 photos and the fee. I'm UK based and do it by post.

Looks like different requirements in different countries.

And enclose passport of course

Edited by zeppo, 23 March 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#67 OzzyC

OzzyC

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:01 PM

Yes I took another read of my post and I can see what you mean, you are right.

I was a bit confused also.

OzzyC my local consulate in the US makes me provide a bank statement for a SETV. I don't need to provlthough in ide most of the other stuff. It sounds to me like your Thai embassy is making you provide most of the stuff needed for a METV even if getting a SETV? Athe US one must show US$7000 in the bank for a METV. 

One other difference between getting between a SETV and a 30 day entry stamp extended. On a 30 day entry stamp your extended 30 days starts when you get the extension. So unless you go on the last day it is valid you don't get 30 days. Extending a TV you get a 30 days starting from when it would have expired even if you extend before the last day. 

It's a 140 mile round trip for me to go to my local consulate (that doesn't do visas by mail) but I can get an appointment and drive down and get it done in 30 minutes if necessary. But I usually do it by mail except this time I forgot until it was too late so had to drive the 140 miles. I had a trip booked for many months and i forget to apply for my visa by mail.  :blink:

Yes similar here, for a multiple entry visa they want to see 200.000 baht equivalent and as Zeppo stated, it must be different for every country as the form for my application was specific to my local embassy.

https://thaiconsulat...cation-form.pdf

• Len Dtuut likes this

#68 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:08 PM

For an METV in the UK, one requirement is £5,000 in a bank account and it has to be there for 6 months prior to applying for the METV.
  • Len Dtuut likes this

#69 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

For an METV in the UK, one requirement is £5,000 in a bank account and it has to be there for 6 months prior to applying for the METV.

FWIW the Thai embassy in Washington, D.C. requires the US$7000 to be in the bank for six months. But I sent an Email to the consulate in Los Angeles and they only want one recent statement showing US$7000. But of course like anything else that could change at any time. Those are the only two places one can get a METV in the US I think. In the beginning one could get a METV at lots of consulates but that didn't last long as some of the consulates were making it much easier to get than others. 

#70 Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:04 AM

Monday 26.03.2018

I arrived Thailand 26th of February and my 30 day on arrival tourist visa expires today, so i had to go to Immigration in Jomtien to get 30 more days.

08:40 Arrived Immigration in Jomtien (easy to find a bit up in Soi 5)

08:42 Got the papers and check list from Information desk, and a queue number for the first queue (documentation of where you stay)

08:45 Went to one of the companies nearby to fill out the forms and take photos

- passport photo (100 for 2)

- copy of entry stamp and info part of passport

- copy of immigration card (entry)

- to extend my 30 day on arrival visa i had to fill out 3 pages which I paid the company 300 to do

- total cost 400 THB and spent around 20 min in there 

09:05 Waiting for my turn for confirmation of my residence (room to your left when you enter), waited about 35 min.  Processing was done in 2 min when it was my turn

09:40 Back to information for new queue number

09:50 Waited about 10 min for my turn (in room straight ahead when you arrive). They took a photo and my papers.  I paid 1900 THB and they told me to wait 10 min.

10:00 Called back to the desk, got my passport back and I was finished

Thanks to the info in this thread this was really easy and done in less than 90 minutes.  The place was a bit crowded but my friend said I probably was lucky since it normally is more busy.

• Len Dtuut and OzzyC like this

#71 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:50 AM

That is making it pretty fast at Jomtien, with the new queue added, although many of the farangs have gone home from their winter stays. Is it hard to get a 60 day visa where you live? I would do about anything to avoid Jomtien immigration including blowing US$200 to try and get a METV next trip.

Sorry to be picky but you likely have a 30 day immigration stamp and not a visa on arrival. A visa on arrival is issued to residents from only 21 countries, is good for 15 days and can't be extended.

Visa on arrival:

https://en.wikipedia...ormal_passports

30 Day stamp:

https://en.wikipedia...on_(45_nations)

Edited by Len Dtuut, 26 March 2018 - 09:57 AM.

• Jim Lahey likes this

#72 Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Sorry to be picky but you likely have a 30 day immigration stamp and not a visa on arrival. A visa on arrival is issued to residents from only 21 countries, is good for 15 days and can't be extended.

Visa on arrival:

https://en.wikipedia...ormal_passports

30 Day stamp:

https://en.wikipedia...on_(45_nations)

You are correct, I had a "30 days exemption" not a "Visa on arrival".  Was not aware of the difference.  Thanks for clarifying.

#73 blueyes

blueyes

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

Jim,

I was the OP on this thread.  glad to hear it was so simple and efficient-two terms not usually associated with thailand and Thai beauracracy!!!  It seems you had a similar experience like i did in Bangkok.  I will be abck for a long visit in May/June and will do exactly the same.  For me.one mornings visit and 1900 baht is easier than running around to the Thai Embassy/Consulate here in New York.  The train fare and taxi fare would probably be about the equivalent of 1000 baht here.  

I think it makes sense for that Thais to operate like this i.e charge 1900 baht for an extra 30 days while you are in country.  Its a cash cow.  Imagine the amount of cash the officials in charge of these offices are skimming!!!!

I will let you know how I get on in May/June!!!!

#74 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:25 PM

FWIW in the US I usually get my SETV by mail from the Portland consulate.  http://www.thai-or.com/

They need your passport, visa form, photos, a $40 money order and a return envelope with proper postage. I generally send it in with a Priority Mail 2-Day Flat Rate Envelope ($6.95) and get it back via first class mail. It's back in a bit under two weeks unless there is closure time. Their vacation/closure schedule is posted on the web site. Different strokes for different folks but I would do this every time instead of getting a 30 day stamp extended. A SETV is good for entry into Thailand for something like 90 days after issued. So you can apply two months before you leave and have your passport and visa back way before your trip is scheduled.

The only problem I had at Portland is twice I send a 2-Day Flat Rate Envelope for return of my passport but for some reason it seemed to come back first class even though the envelope I sent was used. Took about four working days in the mail. So now I just send in regular return envelope with first class postage and tracking.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users