#1 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

Are these things just a gimmick???
Do any of you actually have one?? If so what do you use it for??!
I certainly don’t need one, so Apple will not be getting my money for this product.
I can’t see justification for them, as they just seem to do what my mobile does.

#2 Lost Rider

Lost Rider

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Poker, motorcycle riding, LB mongering

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

I can barely answer my phone so not an option for me.  Several friends have the damn things.  They spend more time yelling at it than anything else.  "Alexa, turn the sound down"  "Ok, playing Sound Garden", "Fuck, I said turn the sound down", "Ok, turning on System of the Down".  Then they stomp over and turn the sound down like they could have done before all the aggravation.  Dishwasher, garage door opener, electric can opener, yard guy, auto car wash....  now something to turn the lights on and off (if it understands you), how lazy have we become?

• Slacker and IRONicMAN like this

#3 JBken

JBken

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:38 AM

Don’t know why they bother selling them in Scotland? Is a well established fact that voice recognition can’t cope with Scottish accents.

https://youtu.be/sAz_UvnUeuU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,634 posts
  • Interests:The Usual :)

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

I've contemplated setting up Alexa for me mom, Alexa play "Joseph Locke", Alexa turn on/off the lights etc.

I'm very surprised Microsoft have not tweaked Cortana for this TBH.

#5 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:08 PM

No I don't think they are a gimmick, but I think you have to be careful with security with regards to these devices. I think you were disabled or immobilised in some way, it could be very useful.

This made me laugh 

I read somewhere, Alexa kicked in at 3am and started to have a party and the police were called and broke in to the property.

Edited by fenton, 28 January 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#6 fenton

fenton

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,634 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Remember this 555

#7 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

We already give up alot of privacy.. Keep in mind, if you leave your mobile phone, Smart TV or these homepods on, curious companies, hackers or the governments could either know, where, when and who you are with.. In some cases, they could even open the webcams on the TVs.. Having no privacy makes you vurnable for manipulations..

#8 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

People won't be happy until every aspect of their life is controlled by an app or a smart-something. One power cut and their entire 'life" comes to a juddering halt. Sleepwalking into the abyss...

• silentmoebius78 and fenton like this

#9 silentmoebius78

silentmoebius78

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

People won't be happy until every aspect of their life is controlled by an app or a smart-something. One power cut and their entire 'life" comes to a juddering halt. Sleepwalking into the abyss...

I have to admit, I am internet addict.. As soon as the mobilephone is the first thing you have in your hands to check things, you are an addict.. I will try to cut down on it, but it becomes more and more difficult to start, especialy when being alone..it just passes the time..

A smartphone, which I might downsize soon, and a laptop/computer is as far as I go..

#10 Chefkoch

Chefkoch

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Interests:Tripods and Bipods!
    Sucking a LB dick or licking a GG pussy, i love both.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

I am using Alexa for voice controlling my logitech control hub, which controls my home entertainment system.

My tv and sound system goes on and off with a command from me.

I also have a Phillips Hue Light System which i will use in the future with Alexa and my home entertainment system.

If i was scared for my privacy i would never started to use Whatsapp or other apps.

• IRONicMAN likes this

#11 eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Alexa (The Amazon Echo) is fantastic for the kitchen. "Alexa, add bread to the shopping list (I sync with my Anylist App)" "Alexa, make a timer for 6 minutes" "Alexa, play CNN on Tune In" I really enjoy it's usefulness. If you want to see what it can do, google "Alexa Skills" 

It is also a high quality bluetooth speaker. Pairing with your phone and listening to podcasts or your itunes library is really nice. 

#12 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

...It is also a high quality bluetooth speaker...

Problem is that bluetooth strangles sound quality..."On a purely technical level, the amount of sonic information that can pass through traditional Bluetooth is less than through wired headphones or even a Wifi connection, meaning lower-resolution audio."

#13 petesie

petesie

LB Connoisseur

• 15,448 posts
  • Interests:Same as the rest of ye!

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

I was quite impressed with this guys in depth entertaining review where he does like it but points out all it's foibles.  B)

Apple HomePod — In-Depth Review, Tests, Comparisons and Unboxing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users