• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:39 AM

1500 Baht is under USD 50 per month.

I thought these meds were many hundreds of dollars a month!! Have they come down that much in price, or are you using "cheap copies" in Thailand?

They have come down a lot and Thailand along with a lot of other countries gets discounted meds from the manufacturer due to it being a developing nation.

Generics when available are even cheaper but you need to make sure the generics come from a certified quality company. There are companies licenced to make generics and others who just make bad copies, obviously care is required.
  • opps1 likes this

#42 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Label price in Australia is:

Truvada  $727.47

Tivicay  $1331.10

Descovy  $1453.70

that's per 30 tablet bottle.

GPO, which makes a lot of the meds you see in Thailand pharmacies, is I believe licensed to make a generic Truvada (or one of those prevention drugs). It is very inexpensive compared to the what we pay in the US. As mentioned the big drug companies make the stuff we pay big $$$ for at home available to less prosperous countries for a fraction of what we pay. 

Edited by Len Dtuut, 09 February 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#43 opps1

opps1

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

1500 Baht is under USD 50 per month.

I thought these meds were many hundreds of dollars a month!! Have they come down that much in price, or are you using "cheap copies" in Thailand?

I take a Generic version of Atripla called Teevir, made by an Indian Generic manufacture that make lots of generic HIV meds called Mylan.

When I refill my meds in the UK I got original Atripla but its the same as Teevir.

Original Atripla is available from Manorial hospital, I think it would have worked out at about 4000 baht a month if I had got meds there.

Teevir is now the first line Pill most Thai government hospitals use under the 30 baht health care scheme for Thai nationals.

Bare in mind Atripla is pretty old now, having first been introduced in 2006 therefor is off patient, hence generics being available.

Quite a few newer meds have come off patient now and my Dr (Dr Philippe) could swap me onto something newer like a generic version of stribild for the same sort of price but as I get zero side affects now and i have no liver or kidney deterioration nearly 3 years in, my cd4 is 1121 and my VL is undetectable there seems little point.

You are correct, the latest meds are very expensive before they come off patient eg Genova that a couple of people I know who come from rich northern European countries take would run to about $2000 USD a month if the person was self paying. (they don't they get it on their country's public health care scheme).

The patient structure is pretty complicated but Thailand is considered a 3rd world country so it can legally get Generic's and cheaper meds first.

That said I have heard the UK NHS is starting to use more generic HIV meds, a UK biased positive friend who gets Turmeq on the UK NHS told me he got a generic version last time he went in for a checkup and med refill. The generic he got was also made by Mylan.

Dr Philippe is good at negotiating the price of meds also from Mylan and the other Indian generic manufactures.

He recently told me he can a full course of Hep C treatment using generic meds for around 40,000 baht, the price using meds for this from Bumrumgrad hospital in BKK would be over 300,000 baht apparently.

If that information would help anyone he can be contacted here:

www.okwecare.com

Hope that answers your very valid question.

Edited by opps1, 09 February 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• Blodstrupmoen and Poirot like this

#44 TREX7

TREX7

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:46 AM

Just thought I'd pop by and give the lads my results, so I think I shoot from the hip sometimes so to speak and jump to conclusions now don't get me wrong I'm not going to say this justified my bareback sex with a gg.

Came back negative, lesson learned. Now to come back and hit pattaya again!
  • Botafogo likes this

#45 1stimefun

1stimefun

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Glad you're alright, stuff like this is always in the back of my mind when I am planning this trip. I'll be leaving in like two days... Hyped but also a bit scared.

Still want to do it though. But I will not be a hero as they say. Again good thing you're back clear man. Enjoy your next trip.

#46 magical

magical

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:Sex, stock trading, family, gym workouts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Just thought I'd pop by and give the lads my results, so I think I shoot from the hip sometimes so to speak and jump to conclusions now don't get me wrong I'm not going to say this justified my bareback sex with a gg.

Came back negative, lesson learned. Now to come back and hit pattaya again!

Been there myself (with a postie).  It was stupid, but I figure we're allowed one slip up, no more.  Also got tested (for everything) three weeks after I got home - negative.

Funny thing is, I let the postie know the results and she could not have cared less.  In fact there was dead silence, not even a "good to hear".  That tells you something, doesn't it?

• petesie likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users