•  

Photo
- - - - -

Usa <> Thailand - Nonstop Flights "in Late 2018 Or Early 2019" (Possibly San Francisco Or Seattle)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LBK

LBK

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

Southeast Asia-US aviation market: Thai Airways and Vietnam Airlines to enter, following FAA upgrade
https://centreforavi...-upgrade-391751

In late 2017 the US FAA conducted safety audits of Thailand and Vietnam. The agency is expected to assign both countries a Category 1 rating within the next few months, which will enable airlines from Thailand and Vietnam to launch services to the US.

Thai Airways is preparing to resume services to the US in late 2018 or early 2019. Thai intends to operate nonstop from Bangkok to a not yet selected US city. Thai has not operated nonstop flights to the US since 2012, and dropped one-stop flights in 2015.

Vietnam Airlines also intends to launch flights on the Ho Chi Minh-Los Angeles route by 2019. It may start with a one-stop service via North Asia, but nonstop flights remain the long term aspiration.

For both airlines, the decision to enter the highly competitive US-Southeast Asia market is political rather than commercial. Financial losses are expected for at least a few years and profitability is unlikely, unless there is a significant improvement in market conditions.

2016 articles speculated San Francisco or Seattle.
https://www.bangkokp...-flag-withdrawn
http://onemileatatim...top-us-flights/

For those that care about Vietnam - "Vietnam Airlines Admits They’d Lose Money Flying To The US, Plans To Do So Anyway".
http://onemileatatim...angeles-flight/

And in unrelated news, plans to increase Utapao's capacity to 15/30/60 million passengers per annum in 5/10/20 years.
http://www.ladyboysp...e-4#entry947743

Edited by LBK, 09 February 2018 - 11:22 PM.

#2 kingslayer

kingslayer

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:25 AM

Would love more direct flights from the West Coast but I don't see it happening. Don't think the demand is there. Whenever I transfer in Seoul or Taipei to my BKK leg I never feel like it's more than a third of my flight. Everyone else is usually Vietnamese or Filipino going home.

#3 LBK

LBK

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:12 AM

Don't think the demand is there.

As per the OP:-

For both airlines, the decision to enter the highly competitive US-Southeast Asia market is political rather than commercial. Financial losses are expected for at least a few years and profitability is unlikely, unless there is a significant improvement in market conditions.

Which is even explicitly acknowledged by VA:-

"Vietnam Airlines Admits They’d Lose Money Flying To The US, Plans To Do So Anyway"

Certainly the flights might not happen, but the possibility apparently remains even if it's not commercially sensible ...

Edited by LBK, 11 February 2018 - 09:13 AM.

#4 blueyes

blueyes

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

There have been non stop between Thailand and the USA in the past.  I dont think there are any more.  In fact, there are no US carriers in thailand since both United and Delta pulled out a couple of years ago.  They direct traffic to Thailand with their partners, UAL has ANA and Thai.  Delta has, I believe Korean and JAL.  Still its connections.

Talking to someone in the industry, they claim that the type of customer is the low yield variety i.e the ticket prices the traffic attracted was on the low side.  With the boom in airline travel these airlines decided to use its aircraft in other, more high yield, markets.

With more and more longer range, fuel efficient 787s, I wouldnt be shocked to see United do San Fran-Bangkok within the next few years but thats just me adding 2 + 2 and getting 4.

#5 LBK

LBK

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:46 AM

There have been non stop between Thailand and the USA in the past. I dont think there are any more.

Thai flew nonstop to New York and LA until 2012. There aren't nonstop flights at present.

With more and more longer range, fuel efficient 787s, I wouldnt be shocked to see United do San Fran-Bangkok within the next few years but thats just me adding 2 + 2 and getting 4.

As previously quoted, Thailand and Vietnam have political reasons for considering these nonstop flights which will lose money. The airlines may be given no choice by their governments.

American airlines have no reason to enter a market that will lose money. Fuel efficiency doesn't make a low-yield ultra-long-range route profitable by itself, and if they don't have a monopoly and are forced to compete with another airline then there would be even less reason to do so.

It's not utterly inconceivable but unless something drastically changes (perhaps a post-MeToo boom in overseas sex tourism :)), then it would be extremely surprising.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users