31 replies to this topic

#1 patnya

patnya

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:04 PM

this is a different question to my last two post about visas ?

flying into thailand from the uk, i thought everyone automatically gets a 30 day visa execempt stamp in their passport.

while checking my passport today and my entry stamps, i noticed on 3 occasions i was only given 21 days and another one 

was only 20 days ? luckily for me i had left thailand by these dates which would have seen me as a overstayer.

example.

admitted-- 20 november 2015

until 10 december 2015

total of only 21 days.

has anyone else noticed this in previous trips to thailand ?

is it the immigration officer on the day who decides when you should exit ?

i have a 30/ 31 day holiday starting next week and was thinking i would be ok on the visa on arrival / exemption .

should i show them when clearing immigration my return air ticket ?

any thoughts on this ?

thanks in advance.

#2 Abba123

Abba123

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  • Interests:Servicing ladyboys with sub-stomach phrenology

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

:excl: Thailand has "different rules for different passports." 

There is no "everybody gets 30 days, rule"

:excl: "on 3 occasions i [OP] was only given 21 days ...".

I am guessing that your passport is not British.

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

(Excuse me BMs for my not bothering to read the other threads to check if he has already told us what passport he has.)

It does make a difference to Thailand (and EU nations and the U.S.) which country "your passport is from".

Those countries (one might say) generally don't care which country you are flying in from.

The country that issued your passport, is "what the mentioned countries care about" (as far as the context of this thread).

(Edit: The top 3 lines were added after BM Banach Space's reply.)

Edited by Abba123, 06 April 2018 - 06:19 PM.

#3 Banach Space

Banach Space

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Interests:LBs & MCs

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

I think it was just a mistake.

Last year I experienced something opposite of what you experienced. I traveled to Los on January 27th. I didn't pay attention to the stamp. Few days later On my way to the immigration, needed the residence certificate, I took a look at my passport, I was surprised. I found out that I actually got 3 months. (entered 27th - leave 25 April!!!!). Once I talked to the policeman who uses to be in the reception at the office, he saw my passport and reacted with a surprise. He said : wrong, only one month !!! I said but my intention was that i should stay 5 weeks. He said only 30 days. Ok, I said but I will apply for visa extension. 

Around 3 weeks later, I went back and applied. They crossed off the old stamp and got a new stamp which said : leave 25th February and of course I got an extension...

#4 Banach Space

Banach Space

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • Interests:LBs & MCs

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

@Abba123.

To be clear, I got a Swedish passport and traveled from Sweden !!

#5 jimbo34

jimbo34

His Grumpyness

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

POPULAR

this is a different question to my last two post about visas ?

flying into thailand from the uk, i thought everyone automatically gets a 30 day visa execempt stamp in their passport.

while checking my passport today and my entry stamps, i noticed on 3 occasions i was only given 21 days and another one 

was only 20 days ? luckily for me i had left thailand by these dates which would have seen me as a overstayer.

example.

admitted-- 20 november 2015

until 10 december 2015

total of only 21 days.

has anyone else noticed this in previous trips to thailand ?

is it the immigration officer on the day who decides when you should exit ?

i have a 30/ 31 day holiday starting next week and was thinking i would be ok on the visa on arrival / exemption .

should i show them when clearing immigration my return air ticket ?

any thoughts on this ?

thanks in advance.

For goodness sake patnya! So much fuss over a 30/31 day holiday visa!

Travelling from the UK you will automatically get a 30 day visa. Before you leave the Immigration hall just check that they've stamped you correctly. If not, go back immediately to the desk and get them to correct it. Never had a problem myself.

Don't worry about your stay being 31 days - they'll pull you to one side as you pass through Immigration and stamp you with the extra day free of charge, and with a smile.

Now stop fussing , relax, and enjoy your holiday !

• liverpool, Marquezz and IRONicMAN like this

#6 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:39 PM

Jimbo aka victor meldrew the voice of reason 555

Edited by IRONicMAN, 06 April 2018 - 07:40 PM.

#7 Abba123

Abba123

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

... Don't worry about your stay being 31 days - they'll pull you to one side as you pass through Immigration and stamp you with the extra day free of charge, and with a smile. ...

:excl: Newbies that have not followed these topics on this website,

and are considering to depart Thailand, after the visa-exemption (or even a visa) has expired:

Please read how people have been burned by a one-day overstay and by a few-day overstays.

http://www.ladyboysp...e-2#entry961502

One week in prison (i.e. "detention center") is not unheard of.

If you have overstayed your welcome (and been to lazy to get a visa extension in Thailand, or a visa in your home country),

the smile you might see, might perhaps not be from an immigration officer. However,

one often gets a smile from the police officer as one gets followed onboard a passenger jet, and he unlocks the handcuffs.

Or so they say. 

#8 jimbo34

jimbo34

His Grumpyness

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,610 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

POPULAR

Oh ffs shuttup, Abba123.

In 14+ years of coming in and out of Thailand I've never had a single problem despite having a multitude of different visas. This is NOT North Korea he's coming to. Furthermore as he's from the UK he'll still be highly respected (yes, really). And in view of the complexities of the visa system i've always found Immigration to be amazingly accurate with the stamping procedure.

• Zoonie the Lazoon, hellah, zeppo and 3 others like this

#9 patnya

patnya

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:15 PM

:excl: Thailand has "different rules for different passports." 

There is no "everybody gets 30 days, rule"

:excl: "on 3 occasions i [OP] was only given 21 days ...".

I am guessing that your passport is not British.

Please correct me if I am wrong. 

(Excuse me BMs for my not bothering to read the other threads to check if he has already told us what passport he has.)

It does make a difference to Thailand (and EU nations and the U.S.) which country "your passport is from".

Those countries (one might say) generally don't care which country you are flying in from.

The country that issued your passport, is "what the mentioned countries care about" (as far as the context of this thread).

(Edit: The top 3 lines were added after BM Banach Space's reply.)

my passport is british, im born n bred in london, i always put nationality as ENGLISH and not british.

#10 patnya

patnya

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:32 PM

For goodness sake patnya! So much fuss over a 30/31 day holiday visa!

Travelling from the UK you will automatically get a 30 day visa. Before you leave the Immigration hall just check that they've stamped you correctly. If not, go back immediately to the desk and get them to correct it. Never had a problem myself.

Don't worry about your stay being 31 days - they'll pull you to one side as you pass through Immigration and stamp you with the extra day free of charge, and with a smile.

Now stop fussing , relax, and enjoy your holiday !

jimbo,

i have always travelled from the uk to thailand for 15 years, im english and have a full british up to date passport, 

i had always assumed you get a 30 day visa just like you say, but when checking previous stamps , some were only 20/21 days ?

my last 8 visits i got 30 days.

i will now check my exit stamp at immigration before i stroll away, just like you suggest  :Smile 2:

• jimbo34 likes this

#11 OzzyC

OzzyC

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,800 posts
  • Interests:You know...

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

I agree with Jimbo and Banache Space that it is a mistake.

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 55 countries1 to enter Thailand without a visa. They are granted to stay a maximum of 30 days if they are entering Thailand via an international airport or entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries

and here are the countries for anybody that wants to look.

http://www.thaiembas...visa-exempt.php

#12 bangkokdavid

bangkokdavid

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:why you looking?

Posted 07 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

my passport is british, im born n bred in london, i always put nationality as ENGLISH and not british.

ditto

• patnya likes this

#13 Zoonie the Lazoon

Zoonie the Lazoon

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts
  • Interests:Bog snorkelling, professional gambling, becoming a sybarite, cooking dogs, extreme ironing, waterboarding, squirrel hunting, dominoes, vexillology, yodelling, collecting milk bottles, catching pigeons, knobbing, flying kites, selling pegs

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:37 AM

POPULAR

Tosser! Just put British ...or UK. Foreign immigration ports are not the places to make petty political statements!
  • dixon cox, hellah, zeppo and 3 others like this

#14 liverpool

liverpool

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts
  • Interests:cast-iron songs and torch ballads, sung by Antideluvian Kings

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:32 AM

stop worrying Patnya, after all there's a new MacDonalds on soi Buck to check out..... :)

mind you, there will probably be a list of road accidents on soi buck in the last 6 years posted by Abba soon............

• sev7en likes this

#15 IRONicMAN

IRONicMAN

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

POPULAR

Patnya, you’ve came across as a bit of a twat and a little englander by the I put ENGLISH down and not British.
I actually think that your blethering a lot of pish as well, my mate who I was traveling with inadvertently put Scotland down (not making a statement out of it like you) and the immigration made him change it at the visa kiosk to British.
Off track here, I voted no in the independence referendum, but when I come across stuff like this I can see why folk voted yes.
Your post has actually really annoyed me!!

Edited by IRONicMAN, 07 April 2018 - 05:21 AM.

• Zoonie the Lazoon, zeppo, JBken and 1 other like this

#16 lbshagger

lbshagger

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Interests:LB arse and cock, what else is there in life.

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:40 AM

I have only ever had one incorrect passport stamp on arriving in Thailand. I had a Non O visa and was entitled to 3 months, the visa was acquired outside of Thailand. The immigration officer by mistake gave me 9 months. I noticed this as I was waiting for my bag but could be bothered to go and tell them. I was only planning to stay 4 weeks so would not overstay my permitted visa anyway. I was amazed when 4 days later the immigration lady who made the mistake was standing in front of my house in Songkhla with the little stamp and an ink pad. She had driven down from Bangkok, a good 10-12 hr drive to correct the mistake. There was no issue for me but it does go to show they do keep an eye on this stuff and it is worth doing as Jimbo recommended and checking, also actually following up and correcting the mistake.

For the British nationalists in this thread, I put down place of birth as my city and England as the country. Nationality British.

#17 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

jimbo,
i have always travelled from the uk to thailand for 15 years, im english and have a full british up to date passport, 
i had always assumed you get a 30 day visa just like you say, but when checking previous stamps , some were only 20/21 days ?
my last 8 visits i got 30 days.
i will now check my exit stamp at immigration before i stroll away, just like you suggest  Smile%202.gif

For a guy who has travelled so much to Thailand you should not be starting so many threads asking about simple visa issues.

#18 Abba123

Abba123

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

Oh ffs shuttup, Abba123.

In 14+ years of coming in and out of Thailand I've never had a single problem despite having a multitude of different visas. This is NOT North Korea he's coming to. Furthermore as he's from the UK he'll still be highly respected (yes, really). And in view of the complexities of the visa system i've always found Immigration to be amazingly accurate with the stamping procedure.

A majority of overstayers that are Westerners, will make it to the airport, without getting arrested.

Nobody is arguing that.

I am saying that there ain't a fuckin thing BM jimbo34 can say, to help out a Westerner if he somehow gets arrested in Pattaya for a one-day overstay.

(BM ausmagoo, a moderator on this website, could do nothing to help a "one-day overstayer acquaintance" that was arrested in Pattaya, last year.

The arrestee spent one week in jail / detention center, and had to buy a new air ticket out of the country.

Check out the link above.)

(Edit: The first line is about Westerners who overstay - not about where the majority of overstayers, come from.)

Edited by Abba123, 07 April 2018 - 12:26 PM.

• IRONicMAN likes this

#19 setanta

setanta

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 07:52 AM

Could it be you are putting your actual dates of departure down on the immigration for and being stamped according to those dates. Most people put 30 days even if only staying for 3 weeks etc.

#20 zeppo

zeppo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 08:02 AM

Could it be you are putting your actual dates of departure down on the immigration for and being stamped according to those dates. Most people put 30 days even if only staying for 3 weeks etc.

The immigration officer will have a selection of stamps with dates that are a certain time in the future (30 days, 3 months etc.), they will stamp the passport with the appropriate stamp. I'm sure they don't do individual stamps for each arrival depending on what they write on the arrival card.
  • jimbo34 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users