#21 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 18 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

Thailand is not known for it's top quality pizza's. That's why I only eat brazilian-style sushi over here.

Amen to that. I imagine expats sometimes get a hankering for food items that they miss from their home country, but visitors ? Surely a couple of weeks' abstinence is easy to bear knowing that you can get your favourite Western food (invariably done much better) on your return home ? However, if your palate only stretches to homogenous, gease-saturated fry-ups, then you are in luck. On the plus side, it is possible to find some excellent Thai food in Pattaya at modest prices.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Slacker, 18 April 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#22 hailbritania

hailbritania

LB Mogul

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

that one that used to be on soi diana and moved to the mall between beach and second road on the side of mikes mall is the best

#23 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:33 PM

Amen to that. I imagine expats sometimes get a hankering for food items that they miss from their home country, but visitors ? Surely a couple of weeks' abstinence is easy to bear knowing that you can get your favourite Western food (invariably done much better) on your return home ? However, if your palate only stretches to homogenous, gease-saturated fry-ups, then you are in luck. On the plus side, it is possible to find some excellent Thai food in Pattaya at modest prices.

IMO there are a fair number of good Italian restaurants in Pattaya. I eat Italian food when in Pattaya that I don't eat at home. I eat mostly healthy at home and cheat on my diet one meal a day in Pattaya on the nights I go out. I never learned to like Thai food (my loss I'm sure). So my vacation is a food vacation also.  :)  :blink:   

#24 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:47 PM

Just to throw a couple more entrants into the ring...both Italian restaurants in Central Festival are to be avoided. The one overlooking the bay is particularly poor and both visits I spotted roaches shuffling around. The other one looks more authentic - it fooled me. Tomato and mozzarella was a huge portion but completely devoid of any discernable taste. The pizza wasn't up to much either - fortunately I had eaten far too much of my starter to make much impact on it.

Perhaps BMs should post their recommendations as it is too easy to take potshots at underperforming establishments ?

#25 Jimmy_Lovepants

Jimmy_Lovepants

I Have Demon Seed In Me

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,049 posts
  • Interests:wet patches
    ferret husbandry
    killing hipsters
    (fantasising about it anyway)

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:13 PM

Thailand is not known for it's top quality pizza's. That's why I only eat brazilian-style sushi over here.

Wait til you get to China and try their pizzas... they put banana and cherries and a whole fruit salad on it. Chinese pizza is the best in the world... Said no one ever. :D

• odotor likes this

#26 57Chevy

57Chevy

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Girls with 2 or 3 legs :)
    Rock Music

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:48 AM

I strongly prefer DaCionso & Claudio in Soi Buakao. Great pizza for my taste, but the pasta (especially with bolognese sauce) should be avoided.
If someone is interested in a more up-market italian, Toscana in Central Pattaya is a good address. The italian owner does not only run this restaurant, he also has a farm outside Pattaya. So he is making his own sausages (try the salami plate - but be warned, its huge!) from his own animals.
Toscana is located on Beach Rd just a few feet down from Soi 6/1.
They also have a huge selection of wines as well as grappas on the menu.
For a decent 3-course dinner you should calculate about 1,000 - 1,500 BHT / person plus wine and/or grappa.

• mlay likes this

#27 nikki666

nikki666

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:09 PM

As previously mentioned,  preferences on pizza is much like beer, drink and girls.... they vary widely...

BUT..... that photo in the OP looks like crap.   Is that the pepperoni and hot dog special ?   akkkkk

#28 dellboy

dellboy

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:49 PM

A word to the wise... be careful when posting negative reviews of restaurants in Pattaya. 

https://www.thaivisa...-review-online/

jasus , i speed read through 21 pages of comment about an unnamed restaurant and never read the name of the eating house in question . never again ! 

#29 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:23 AM

Perhaps BMs should post their recommendations as it is too easy to take potshots at underperforming establishments ?

Having returned from 12 weeks in Pattaya I have nothing better to do.  :)

Since I stay near Soi Diana and Soi Buakhao, and am an Italian food junkie, these Italian restaurants are ones I visit often (walking distance). I spend as much of the US winter in Thailand as possible so any observations are mostly high season through very early April. I like to eat *something* Italian at all these restaurant but due to varying tastes you might not like what I like***. YMMV and all that stuff. So just providing you a list of places I eat.:

A couple of these places close for most/all of April. Songkran seem to provide a good time for the Italian owners to go home to Italy for a while.

La Taverna del Passatore
https://www.facebook...nadelpassatore/
Open air smallish out of the way restaurant with Italian owner. This place is packed during high season and the vast majority of patrons are Italian. Seating is much easier after high season. Daily specials shown on Facebook. No pizza. Owner spends a lot of time cooking in the kitchen. By mid March not so busy. Closed most/all of April.

Pizza Italy
https://www.facebook...zzeria.pattaya/
Brick oven pizza and a fairly large Italian menu. Italian customers but not nearly as busy as Passatore. If somewhat busy service speed can suffer greatly IMO. I actually prefer to go in when there are few customers (opposite instinct than one usually has about a restaurant). Owner does the vast majority of cooking. FM mlay hates the pizza but it is by far my favorite***.

Spaghetti Bistrot and Bar
https://www.facebook...istrot.pattaya/
Owned by a forum member(s). See thread on this board. Pizza plus a decent size menu. The most informal of the places I go. Great pasta and prices IMO. They do usually keep one TV on BEIN 1 sports which helps when dining alone or watching the EPL on Sunday night.

DaCionso & Claudio
https://www.facebook...CionsoeClaudio/
Air conditioned restaurant with a fair amount of outdoor seating also. Brick oven pizza and good menu (also Thai food). Nice and clean, if not a somewhat plain, restaurant. Some Italians but a wider variety of customers as they are located on Soi Buakhao near the entrance to Soi Made in Thailand and get a fair amount of foot traffic. Italian owner usually present and does some cooking. 57chevy loves the pizza but I find only OK***.

Alby & Micky
https://www.facebook.com/albyemicky/
Air conditioned restaurant (limited seating outside) that is the nicest looking of the bunch. It's not a really fancy place but looks nice inside. Pizza (not sure of oven type) and a large menu. Vast majority of customers Italian. Excellent service as the waitresses, when not busy, are usually standing somewhere out of the way in the dining area looking to see if customers need service. Closed in April.

Sometimes when I go to Soi 13/1 and 13/2 I go to:

Max Italian Restaurant
https://www.mrmaxservice.com/ (couldn't find a Facebook page)
Pizza plus a large menu. Open air restaurant. Decent foot traffic so more than just Italians although they get their share. Lots of bars around and can be a bit noisy at times. The only place I go where they give me a complementary bruschetta appetizer with pasta.

Now some of you can tell me I have no taste in Italian food. :) :) :)

• duke007 and NYHC like this

#30 Streetwalker

Streetwalker

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

Best Italian Pizza is at Grottino on Soi 33 Naklua - on right hand side of the Soi 33

No Thick Crust, Chicago (not in Italy), Cheese Filled, Fat Bastard Pizza - just normal original Napoli style Pizza.

https://www.facebook...208881199292408

Excellent.

Owned by Antonio who is a terrific guy.

Inside and Outside dining

• Zoonie the Lazoon and odotor like this

#31 Zoonie the Lazoon

Zoonie the Lazoon

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts
  • Interests:Bog snorkelling, professional gambling, becoming a sybarite, cooking dogs, extreme ironing, waterboarding, squirrel hunting, dominoes, vexillology, yodelling, collecting milk bottles, catching pigeons, knobbing, flying kites, selling pegs

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:47 AM

Best Italian Pizza is at Grottino on Soi 33 Naklua - on right hand side of the Soi 33

No Thick Crust, Chicago (not in Italy), Cheese Filled, Fat Bastard Pizza - just normal original Napoli style Pizza.

https://www.facebook...208881199292408

Excellent.
Owned by Antonio who is a terrific guy.
Inside and Outside dining

Seconded! No contest.

https://youtu.be/6l8KXJaiZ8Q

#32 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

...Now some of you can tell me I have no taste in Italian food. :) :) :)

Well done Len for posting a comprehensive list of favourites - I'm sure other BMs will find something to debate. I find that because of the weather my appetite diminishes a fair bit on Thai trips. Small Thai meals seem to sit better on my stomach as opposed to a gigantic carb load-out with pizza and pasta.

#33 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:00 PM

During my first visit to Pattaya (just for a few hours and for real business) I was taken to an Italian restaurant into one of the mall, it could be central, festival, no clue as I visited both in 30minute)
Owner seemed Italian speiaking Swiss influenced german - food was good,
I can’t recall the name of the place, maybe the owner is called Domenico but I can’t swear
Any hint?

#34 Len Dtuut

Len Dtuut

Awesome LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:22 AM

I usually eat at Grottino's when I go to Naklua. Their pizza is good but not my favorite. I often have pasta.The old owner had Italian sausage as a pizza topping, somewhat rare, which seems to be gone now. The old owner was a major jerk IMO. He used to yell at the Thai staff for the slightest perceived error. I stopped going for a couple of years for this reason. It was a very uncomfortable setting. But stopped in a trip or two ago and there were younger guys running the place so it's much more enjoyable. Lots or air conditioned space inside if you walk in far enough to see the room off to the side.  

Edited by Len Dtuut, 21 April 2018 - 03:24 AM.

#35 nikki666

nikki666

Awesome LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

In Pattaya , I like Fire and Stone on Pattaya Klang....  their dough is very good.  Also New York Pizza House on Sai 3 for delivery.... 

I never order pasta in a restaurant because it is simply too easy to make it myself , usually better than the restaurants anyway.

I understand a lot of people don't know how to cook , but that's fine...

• stallion79 likes this

#36 odotor

odotor

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

One of the best pizzas I had in Pattaya was at one place off the beaten track that I found by accident. Owned by two italien brothers.
I forgot the name. It was located on a site street of pattaya klang, opposite Soi Buakaew.

When I wanted to visit this January I found the placed shut. Propably due to lack of passing trade.
Perhaps they moved shop to a busier area.

O.

#37 57Chevy

57Chevy

LB Lover

• Member +
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Girls with 2 or 3 legs :)
    Rock Music

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

One of the best pizzas I had in Pattaya was at one place off the beaten track that I found by accident. Owned by two italien brothers.
I forgot the name. It was located on a site street of pattaya klang, opposite Soi Buakaew.

When I wanted to visit this January I found the placed shut. Propably due to lack of passing trade.
Perhaps they moved shop to a busier area.

O.

This place was most likely the old DaCionso restaurant in Soi 14 Pty Klang.
Those two brothers (?) nicknamed "Peppino" and "DaCionso" have retired in June '16. The place was taken over by a young italian named Mario Vigilante who did rename the restaurant to "PFM restaurant". Mario had an terrible accident last year which did cost him one foot, he returned to Italy.

The name "DaCionso" continues to live on in the "DaCionso & Claudio" restaurant in soi Buakao (opp. jct. with soi MIT). But the old men are no longer seen there. The only italian there is now Claudio. He takes care of the italian customers but is not preparing food.

Edited by 57Chevy, 23 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

• odotor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users