• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin007

Kevin007

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hopefully a few bms may be able to assist. I am currently back in Aus and will soon be moving into a rental property soon. It will have wifi for me but it will come from the owners house above my rental. So was wondering can he check somehow on what sites I am looking at? Or is there something I can do to prevent this.

#2 BinaryBoy

BinaryBoy

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Depending on his equipment he may be able to see, best get a vpn (private internet access is one solution) so no one sees what your doing

#3 odotor

odotor

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

Depending on his equipment he may be able to see, best get a vpn (private internet access is one solution) so no one sees what your doing

Not true. The VPN provider does.

If you what to hide what you do and where you go you best bet is TOR.
Downside is that it slows down your internet speed quite a bit.

#4 singalong

singalong

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:35 PM

So does your ISP. However, the OP wants to know how he can keep his internet traffic private as far as his landlord is concerned and for that a VPN is his best bet...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • BinaryBoy likes this

#5 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

he is concerned about the landlord seeing where he browses.
We all know the telecom provider can access your navigation history.
But so can the router owner (landlord) or administrator. If he wants.
Not for nothing some places set a sort of parental control .(which is automatic) and/or can trace what you see.
I recall i the early days of internet and Adsl a branch of the company I was working (I talk about 20 yrs ago or so) had a monitor in the IT rack showing the strings of the URL’s being accessed by the different working stations.
It opened my eyes!
Although this doesn’t happy much
Nevertheless large corporates do have control in their own network. The last company I worked for, a global corporate, had a warning pop message in case I accessed a website like this. Inhibiting the access.
Just as they do in many Islamic countries, or some hotels in China.
I can bypass the da an in those countries by using a browser different than safari, explorer or chrome...

#6 Scottiem1954

Scottiem1954

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,883 posts
  • Interests:Guess?

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:43 PM

Hopefully a few bms may be able to assist. I am currently back in Aus and will soon be moving into a rental property soon. It will have wifi for me but it will come from the owners house above my rental. So was wondering can he check somehow on what sites I am looking at? Or is there something I can do to prevent this.

cant you get your own phone line to connect a modem and router?
This way, privacy aside, you will not share the traffic capacity with your landlord’s WiFi as it may make a bottleneck,
  • Kevin007 likes this

#7 singalong

singalong

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

he is concerned about the landlord seeing where he browses.
We all know the telecom provider can access your navigation history.
But so can the router owner (landlord) or administrator. If he wants.
Not for nothing some places set a sort of parental control .(which is automatic) and/or can trace what you see.
I recall i the early days of internet and Adsl a branch of the company I was working (I talk about 20 yrs ago or so) had a monitor in the IT rack showing the strings of the URL’s being accessed by the different working stations.
It opened my eyes!
Although this doesn’t happy much
Nevertheless large corporates do have control in their own network. The last company I worked for, a global corporate, had a warning pop message in case I accessed a website like this. Inhibiting the access.
Just as they do in many Islamic countries, or some hotels in China.
I can bypass the da an in those countries by using a browser different than safari, explorer or chrome...

The whole idea of a VPN is that no one including your router owner and ISP know what you are browsing. It's an encryoted tunnel between you and the VPN server, wherever that may be located. As for Islamic countries and China, or actually wherever else there is censorship, a VPN is what you use to bypass their servers.

I use a VPN whenever I connect to an untrusted network which includes hotels, coffee shops, airports or wherever...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#8 Kevin007

Kevin007

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

Thank you all kind bms I will take on board your thoughts. Many thanks

#9 BinaryBoy

BinaryBoy

Newbie LB Lover

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

By stating no one i was referring to his landlord situation specifically. In that situation a vpn service will be fine imo.

TOR in my exp is slow, painfully slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users