Rate this topic

Very good in the air, but lousy on the ground in Istanbul. Lack of English to customers, and poor attitude. If you are in Busíness class , a very good lounge. Enjoy your trip ! dannymurray.

Very good airline. One of the best outside of Asia, especially for the price. Cant be beat for price, yet good attention. Food good too....the lounge at IST airport has great food.

I still like Emirates and Cathay and Japan better but for the non Asians, Turkish Airlines is very good value.

flown once, never again. Flight itself was still going, but Istanbul airport is a disaster. Incredibly busy, too little seating, poor wifi, rude staff.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T535 met Tapatalk

The problem of Turkish and so is the dame with the gulf airlines is the fact they are more or less in the middle of the trip from Europe to Asia. What can be a non stop flight (or a short leg and then a long one) is split into two “smaller”;flights with a transfer connection from 2 to 3 hours (sometime much more)

I rate this as a nuisance: connection, terminal walks, security checks, etc...

If you have german passport better think twice as there have been issues, although i think for just transiting would be ok.

There is no passport check if you transit.

Tons of German companies are Dong business in turkey, so I don’t think being German represents an issue in turkey

There is no passport check if you transit.

Tons of German companies are Dong business in turkey, so I don’t think being German represents an issue in turkey

There has been several reports of german tourists got arrested for no reason. They were used for negotiations a usual tactic for Erdogan's goverment .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-turkey-tourism/germany-warns-against-turkey-travel-after-spate-of-arrests-idUSKCN1BG2BW

What i experienced a few months ago at istanbul airport is that a couple of german tourists were denied entrance. There were shocked as they have visited Turkey in the past and never had problems.

I do agree though that on a transit case there should be no problem.

Edited by mikegr

There has been several reports of german tourists got arrested for no reason. They were used for negotiations a usual tactic for Erdogan's goverment .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-turkey-tourism/germany-warns-against-turkey-travel-after-spate-of-arrests-idUSKCN1BG2BW

What i experienced a few months ago at istanbul airport is that a couple of german tourists were denied entrance. There were shocked as they have visited Turkey in the past and never had problems.

I do agree though that on a transit case there should be no problem.

with a dictatorial madman like Erdoğan you never know. Before you know it, they accuse you of taking part in the coup. Which, by the way, he had set up himself. He had nicely copied Hitler.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T535 met Tapatalk

I flew Turkish in the past and have another trip booked in Nov. Can't comment on Istanbul as I did not venture outside of the airport despite a 9 hour layover. Flew business class. The flight and the lounge at IST were fantastic. The staff at IST left a lot to be desired to the point of being nasty. There is access to the airport hotel on the travel side, no customs security check etc. which makes the long layover bearable if you do not want to tour the city. Also if you have the long layover Turkish airlines provides a free hotel room outside the airport and a tour package which I had no interest in either. A 40%  $ lower rate for business class on Turkish vs Qatar made going with Turkish a no brainer despite the long layover. 

6 hours ago, Twest said:

I flew Turkish in the past and have another trip booked in Nov. Can't comment on Istanbul as I did not venture outside of the airport despite a 9 hour layover. Flew business class. The flight and the lounge at IST were fantastic. The staff at IST left a lot to be desired to the point of being nasty. There is access to the airport hotel on the travel side, no customs security check etc. which makes the long layover bearable if you do not want to tour the city. Also if you have the long layover Turkish airlines provides a free hotel room outside the airport and a tour package which I had no interest in either. A 40%  $ lower rate for business class on Turkish vs Qatar made going with Turkish a no brainer despite the long layover. 

I crashed in the private rooms in their IST business class lounge and had a big meal there I cant forget. As the exchange rate plummets, I might try the airline again.

I flew with Turkish from Singapore to Bangkok, back in the day when smoking was allowed in flight. I remember it was an alright experience, except for the smoke. After the plane reached flying height and the no-smoking lamp went out, it seemed every passenger and a few stewardesses lit up - all at once. I'm sure some of the Turks had snuck  a few shishas on-board and started puffing on those too. 

All this smoke transformed the cabin's interior, bringing down what seemed to be a blanket of thick smog - replacing the clean air. That smog lasted until we reached  Bangkok -- back then planes landed at DMK . I'm a non smoker - so I  didn't enjoy the experience, one bit. Nevertheless.  I was happy the plane landed safely and I was able to make my way to Nana Plaza in record time!

My other recollections of this flight were that the Turkish hostesses were extremely beautiful ( some were blonde - which I thought was unusual - I'd never seen a  middle eastern women with light coloured hair), and the plane  itself was very modern for that time

James       

Edited by james777

many turks are blonde James, naturally, also many carrot tops in turkey

I wouldn't consider turks to be middle-eastern, any more than greeks are. Yes i know many turks are [officially] moslem but in the years i lived in turkey i never knew one who had any interest whatsoever in all that stuff. Never knew one that used a shisha either! saw many tourists using them though.

Turkish airlines are fine in my experience, never had a problem with them

Just viewed a list put out by some authority showing the top 25 airlines. Turkish was on the list!.

It did seem to be based upon Business class but even so!.

I used to fly with Turkish Air many years ago to Bangkok. At that time it was the cheapest - old clunky planes. Understand now they are excellent. 

Travel Threadf**k. After years of bumming round the Greek Islands switched to the 'Turquoise Coast. The locals there very friendly - good hearty food - very acceptable red wine - but their beer 'Efes' probably the worst lager (which I don't like anyway) in the world. As Rt. Hon. Liverpool says they are not all diehard Muslims.

PS. Liverpool - sorry couldn't stop the other night - dashing between the Pharmacy and the Hong Nam. All is calm now. 55555

6 hours ago, kwan said:

I used to fly with Turkish Air many years ago to Bangkok. At that time it was the cheapest - old clunky planes. Understand now they are excellent. 

Travel Threadf**k. After years of bumming round the Greek Islands switched to the 'Turquoise Coast. The locals there very friendly - good hearty food - very acceptable red wine - but their beer 'Efes' probably the worst lager (which I don't like anyway) in the world. As Rt. Hon. Liverpool says they are not all diehard Muslims.

PS. Liverpool - sorry couldn't stop the other night - dashing between the Pharmacy and the Hong Nam. All is calm now. 55555

no worries Kwan... the shit's have cleared up then?....... must have a chat about the greek islands...am mulling it over for next year.

Mmmmm turkish food...wonderful, especially the veggy's and fruits- a lot of organic stuff. Tomatoes are to die for especially compared to the crappy thai ones

i would move back to Turkey tomorrow if it was possible for me to do so nowadays.

1 hour ago, liverpool said:

no worries Kwan... the shit's have cleared up then?....... must have a chat about the greek islands...am mulling it over for next year.

Mmmmm turkish food...wonderful, especially the veggy's and fruits- a lot of organic stuff. Tomatoes are to die for especially compared to the crappy thai ones

i would move back to Turkey tomorrow if it was possible for me to do so nowadays.

I would imagine cost of living would be similar to Thailand ...and Common Market entry (still ) 

Also much closer / cheaper flights to UK 

But the sexlife / bar scene / GGs and Trans ??

bar scene, as per thailand etc, pretty non-existant LJ, or it wasn't when i was there. Full of Russian hookers though. plenty of normal bars.Must confess that nowadays i'm a little jaded with it all...could do with a change, Have been in thailand too long really.

Turkey is a cheap country to live in, as with here, depends of course how you operate, home cooking and similar things saves fortunes of course. 

The great thing is the pound/lira fluctuations. All banks offer both pound and lira accounts so it's extremely easy to transfer between the two as rates change.

and thankfully visas are easy, used to be 3 month visa on arrival for 10 pounds, renewable by catching a ferry to the nearest greek island... about an hour, back to turkey another tenner, another 3 months. I think long term residency type visa's can be got nowadays, but don't know the rules.

Sure i know about the political thing nowadays, police with guns etc..... but aren't we seeing the same in thailand? military dictatorship and all that?

1 hour ago, liverpool said:

Sure i know about the political thing nowadays, police with guns etc..... but aren't we seeing the same in thailand? military dictatorship and all that?

Yeah.. just that Thailand isn't involved in a giant international military conflict with one of it's neighbours :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Blodstrupmoen said:

Yeah.. just that Thailand isn't involved in a giant international military conflict with one of it's neighbours :ph34r:

are they? seriously i had no idea, i stopped watching and reading news years ago. Syria i guess? I've just had to google 'Erdogan' to find out who he is too.

but i doubt [but could be wrong] that any conlict in the far reaches of eastern Turkey has too much of an affect on day to day life in the western side of the country other than economically. Tourist-wise and so forth. Much like the stuff happening in south thailand doesn't affect Pattaya or Isaan.

Turkey is a very large country. Big enough to escape what may be happening in the east. where few actually live or indeed visit.

13 hours ago, Blodstrupmoen said:

I hear ya. Well it flies to 120 countries, more than any other airline and in the absence of a real threat for $2K difference vs Qatar for business class from the US I'll risk it. :)