Sign in to follow this  
ttggbb

Vpn

Rate this topic

VPN will not prevent history on your Browser .... along with anything else like login, passwords etc etc.

VPN ONLY prevents details of all your Internet activities going to your ISP .... you get total privacy.

So NO on your Browser and YES with your ISP.

I use Avast for my internet security etc and pay for the premium package, this includes VPN and a system cleanup module that checks for broken links etc in the system and will identify cache content, browser history, downloads etc and provides the option to erase whatever you wish.

Not being overly tech savvy I rely on such products to "do what it says on the tin" and trust that when I delete browsing history, cookies, cache etc etc that it does so thoroughly and scrupulously.

Fingers crossed.

VPN will not prevent history on your Browser .... along with anything else like login, passwords etc etc.

VPN ONLY prevents details of all your Internet activities going to your ISP .... you get total privacy.

So NO on your Browser and YES with your ISP.

Thanks, so will a VPN stop the ads on my browser? Will it stop emails coming to me email concerning sites I have visited? To be honest, the internet has become has mass assault of ads, ruining the whole experience. And what makes it even more frustrating and insulting is we have to pay for these incessant annoying ads that frankly no one reads anyway. Companies should stop wasting their money on these worthless ads and starting putting it into customer service and quality products.

Edited by ttggbb

No to Ads and No to Spam with Emails .... Ads/Spam piss everyone off.  Ads can be limited by using Add-0ns like "Adblock Plus," in the Firefox browser. My VPN, CyberGhost has an Ad blocker but is useless.

Also in Options with Firefox you can have Cookies, Cach etc deleted on closing Firefox  ....   and Tracking by Websites can be Turned off. It is not 100% but every little bit helps overall.

I use Yahoo for Emails and you can tick on crap Emails that will get listed as Spam and they should get automatically Deleted in the future.

As LWFM has stated, a VPN won't stop ads, but if you keep deleting your cookies and 'move location' using your VPN during browsing sessions, you will minimize targeted advertising. 

This is because you prevent a profile of your viewing and search habits being built up. But as soon as you log into a site that already has your personal info, then nothing can really help you. If you are using a VPN all that happens is your IP address and location changes. So unless someone has stolen your password, the site operators of course know who you are.

Some VPN providers also keep log details for their own use or because the law says they have to (this will depend on which country the business operates from).

For anyone contemplating using a VPN, pay for one that guarantees they don't keep logs. Of course, you are dealing with commercial entities that will lie to consumers in a heartbeat if it can benefit them, so one needs to tread warily. 

The best VPNs in the market place appear to be Express VPN and NordVPN (for speed, security and overall functionality). NordVPN is cheaper than Express though. 

Captain Pugwash is right .... when I checked out which VPN to use it is important to read their "Privacy." statement as many in Western countries keep Logs and will hand-over your activities in a heart beat.

So get  a VPN that does NOT keep Logs  ...  A VPN not headquartered in a G20 country .... and Connect to a Non G20 country with your VPN.

Express VPN and NordVPN are excellent choices as is CyberGhost.

Years ago, CyberGhost had the German police raid their premises and they got sweet fuck-all. Afterwards they moved to a non G20 country. Also CyberGhost will not connect you to a country where Downloading is illegal.

Use of a hosts file will help keep the ads on a website to a minimum.

A hosts file may block a website you want to visit, so you can go into the file with a text editor and comment that line, but, IMO,

if a site won't let me on because it is listed in the hosts file, then I don't need to visit that site. That is a red flag is there ever

was one.

There are also add-ons for browsers that do something similar.

Also delete your cache and cookes on a regular basis, if not between every website you visit. There are add-ons that makes this

as simple as clicking on a button.

Do all the above and use a VPN and you will be about as secure as you can be these days.

To keep anyone who uses your computer from finding out where you have been, be sure, as previously mentioned, to clear you cache,

cookies, etc.

BTW, to avoid embarrassment, you might want to make sure you clear your thumbnail cache and empty your trash. Also, if your browser saves your password and website settings, someone who knows where to look can find them. Some graphics viewer will allow you to set them up to NOT cache the thumbnails. Some do not. Also, most video players and word editors, etc., will save a list of recently opened files. That too can be embarrassing.

If you know enough about computers and their file systems you could browse around and you might be amazed as to amount of information about your activities on the computer that are stored in places most people wouldn't think to look.

Edited by JackG

Don't rely too much on VPN.

A VPN simply makes it appear as if you were connected from another place to the internet.

It can also be used to encrypt your connection to protect your privacy from surveillance in the place/country you are connecting from, at least until the node where the VPN you are connecting to emerges.

A VPN client on a Windows 10 machine is NOT SAFE. Windows can use several network protocols in parallel, and it does. For example, if you try to connect with an OpenVPN client, it will work for Firefox, Chrome and other browsers, but not for EDGE !!

The only "safe" way to connect Windows 10 to a VPN is through your router, which will reliably route all traffic through the VPN.

But of course, Windows 10 will still "phone home" and some people, somewhere, will know it's you and what you are doing.

If you want to stay more or less anonymous, use a VPN + "private browsing" window of your browser and don't login to any google or facebook account, or ANY account for that matter.

Finally, it has also come to my attention that at least one of the largest international, non-US VPN providers has been compromised by the NSA.

I trust a Patpong tout more than any commercial VPN provider.
For maximum anonymity use the TOR browser. Not 100% secure, but better than to trust a commercial company.

Downside is that it slows down your Internet speed quite a bit.

O.

I just installed the laterst version of TOR and tried to log into this site.

Not possible.

As in the past, it returns the error messages, that, one, "You don't have permission for that function" and, two, "You are not allowed to sign onto this site."

Edited by JackG

Exactly, Tor won't work with this site nowadays. I could connect several years ago, but for whatever reason, I cannot now. 

Incidentally, I've used software in the past that details the 3rd parties that a site links to, and this site, the last time I checked anyway, didn't link to any 3rd parties (they are often data brokers). I've used the same software with sites like Ebay and similar and found disturbing 3rd party sharing. With Ebay, its often 10 other sites at once that are allowed to access users data!! Facebook is 10-12 as well! 

Works for me. You guys must be doing something wrong.

I posted this very post using the TOR network.

O.

PS. Perhaps the exit node you're using is on some sort of a blacklist. Can happen when the node is suspected to be a spammer, scammer,  or a government agency. Just click on the onion on the left top corner and choose "New Identity". The reload the page.

Don't rely too much on VPN.

A VPN simply makes it appear as if you were connected from another place to the internet.

It can also be used to encrypt your connection to protect your privacy from surveillance in the place/country you are connecting from, at least until the node where the VPN you are connecting to emerges.......

A VPN creates a "tunnel" so no one knows where you started. To be able to know who you are and where you are from someone trying to monitor your activity has to know both ends of the connection.

There is little one can do using TOR that can't be done using a VPN, IF you have your broswer set up properly.

A VPN creates a "tunnel" so no one knows where you started. To be able to know who you are and where you are from someone trying to monitor your activity has to know both ends of the connection.

There is little one can do using TOR that can't be done using a VPN, IF you have your broswer set up properly.

it only creates a tunnel for a connection "socket" in windows.

the system can still connect in different ways that will not hide your IP.

You must be using that spyware known as ms-windows-10?

A computer user should be able to stop an operating system from doing anything they don't want it to do.

i don't use and will never use anything from microsoft, but Linux and FreeBSD can be set up to

block any incoming or outgoing ports. It is just a matter of learning what one needs to know to keep

their computer secure.

Edited by JackG