Knobby

Visa Run Question

Rate this topic

Got a question for those here that have done visa runs recently.

I fly in on a 1 way ticket and get 30 days. 

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

25 minutes ago, Knobby said:

On the 30th day I fly to say Vietnam. Spend a couple of days there then fly back.

I get another 30 days. Then when flying back in I have to show a plane ticket that proves I am leaving the country again in 30 days time?

Thats how I understand things have been for ages right? Is this still the case of have there been changes recently?

When you fly in, you get a 'Visa on Arrival'. At 30 days and preferably a few days before, go to immigration and pay 1900 baht to get a 30 day extension. If you come into Thailand by Air, not by a land border, you get 30 days, plus the option to extend 30 days by paying 1900 baht at an immigration office. 

Just now, The Dick said:

When you fly in, you get a 'Visa on Arrival'. At 30 days and preferably a few days before, go to immigration and pay 1900 baht to get a 30 day extension. If you come into Thailand by Air, not by a land border, you get 30 days, plus the option to extend 30 days by paying 1900 baht at an immigration office. 

If you do a border run by land, you only get 14 or 15 days, I forget which. I just did a visa run to Cambodia, so I took a bus to Siem Reap, checked out Angkor Wat and partied in Temple Town for 10 days, then flew back Air Asia into Bangkok to get my 30 day visa.

33 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Basically your visa on arrival which is free right now is a 60 day visa if you are willing to go to immigration within 30 days, spend a little time and pay 1900 baht. At the end of the second 30 days you need to leave the country and to get another 30 day visa on arrival you need to FLY into Thailand. Sorry for repeating myself. Just trying to make it clear and help you out. 

Edited by The Dick

You're return ticket doesn't have to show that you are leaving in 30 days. That isn't accurate. My return ticket was set for almost 5 months from the day I entered Thailand. Just be prepared to explain your plans, if asked. At Thai immigration, no one questioned me regarding that. In Tokyo they called me to the desk and just wanted to make sure I was aware of Thailand's visa laws. I explained my plans and everything was cool. 

16 minutes ago, Knobby said:

Thanks The Dick.

Thats very helpful.

No problem Knobby! I learned most of this from a thread on Thaivisa.com. Google your question with thaivisa.com in your Query and you should find some great results. I'll try to find that thread I used. It was just one month ago. All the posters on that forum did a much better and more complete job of explaining it than I could do. Feel free to PM me if you are having difficulty finding the info you need. From what I remember you can pay for your additional 30 days at many of the immigration offices in Thailand. So you could even do it in Pattaya according to what I read online. I did mine in Bangkok. It took up most of my day including the commute, but I used public transport, so if you take a cab and get there early before the rush, I've heard it goes pretty quick.  

1 hour ago, Knobby said:

just to be in the safe side, you should have 20,000 baht or the equivalent in an exchangeable currency if you are doing this, they rarely ask but as you are staying a long time on visa exempt and the immigration officer wants to be an ass they might ask you to show this.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k10675235-Warning_20_000_baht_cash_while_entering_Thailand-Thailand.html

I ask as my job might be going tits up anywhere between now and the end of January.

If so plan is to spend a month,possibly more in Thailand. I am thinking Chiang Mai. 

Can find a cheap enough apartment and the airport is nearby for visa runs. 

15 minutes ago, Knobby said:

I ask as my job might be going tits up anywhere between now and the end of January.

If so plan is to spend a month,possibly more in Thailand. I am thinking Chiang Mai. 

Can find a cheap enough apartment and the airport is nearby for visa runs. 

if you are still in the UK you would be better off getting a METV, (multiple entry tourist visa) from the Thai Embassy in London or consulate in Hull, then you can come and go as you please for 6 months and get a 60 day stamp which can be extended for another 30 days each time you enter thailand, and if you do your last entry just before it expires you can get another 60 day entry+30day extension on top of that giving you almost 9 months in Thailand.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-new-six-months-visa-to-thailand-and-how-to-use-it-p147

hope that helps, I use METV's from the UK to stay almost full time in Thailand because I am to young for a retirement visa, don't work and have no interest in marrying a GG 5555 

feel free to PM me if you want more details

Edited by LazyJay

7 hours ago, The Dick said:

If you do a border run by land, you only get 14 or 15 days, I forget which. I just did a visa run to Cambodia, so I took a bus to Siem Reap, checked out Angkor Wat and partied in Temple Town for 10 days, then flew back Air Asia into Bangkok to get my 30 day visa.

A border run gets you 30 days now (most countries).  You can do it twice in a calendar year.  Rule has been in place for like two years now (unless they changed it again).  Did a Cambodia run with one of those Visa agencies this april and around the same time last year.  Both times got 30 days.  This could also be extended for another 30 days at immigration.

Come in for 30 days (its not actually a Visa on Arrival that is a separate thing for specific countries). Extend at Imm for B1900 or take a trip just to see somewhere else.

At present BOTH air and land crossings grant a 30 day enty. be wary of Thaigeezer threads a lot of info is second hand or out of date. Contact people who are actually in country at the time.

As you can get a thirty day extension in country I would suggest not getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy- that is more useful if you wanted to come in for 90 days (ie- 60 days on entry plus a 30 day extension).

On 12/3/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ivor said:

Come in for 30 days (its not actually a Visa on Arrival that is a separate thing for specific countries). Extend at Imm for B1900 or take a trip just to see somewhere else.

At present BOTH air and land crossings grant a 30 day enty. be wary of Thaigeezer threads a lot of info is second hand or out of date. Contact people who are actually in country at the time.

As you can get a thirty day extension in country I would suggest not getting a 60 day tourist visa from the Embassy- that is more useful if you wanted to come in for 90 days (ie- 60 days on entry plus a 30 day extension).

Glad you cleared up a few errors above. Entry stamp not visa on arrival and 30 days at land borders.

My only comment would be that if I am coming for only about 60 days why not get a single entry tourist visa? Maybe it's easier in the US but I can get a TV for less than the 1900 baht it would cost to extend at immigration and not spend hours at the miserable immigration office in Jomtien. Plus if your lodging place hasn't reported your stay to immigration one will be out another 1600 baht.

FWIW 

Edited by Len Dtuut

On 12/4/2018 at 8:20 PM, Len Dtuut said:

Glad you cleared up a few errors above. Entry stamp not visa on arrival and 30 days at land borders.

My only comment would be that if I am coming for only about 60 days why not get a single entry tourist visa? Maybe it's easier in the US but I can get a TV for less than the 1900 baht it would cost to extend at immigration and not spend hours at the miserable immigration office in Jomtien. Plus if your lodging place hasn't reported your stay to immigration one will be out another 1600 baht.

FWIW 

Yep- I agree.  the 60 day also gives you the option of extending for 30 days if you want. hassle free if you have a consulate near you and takes the pain out of worrying over dates.