agentsteel2

IT finally happened to me !!!!

Rate this topic

Hey guys 

Just a head up, I had money stole from my room at some point  during the last few weeks £180 to be exact.

ive been doing monger for a good 5 years now and liked to think my game is water tight, never been a vivtim of crime here, I usually do a mixture of lbs from bars and TF, never had a problem, but the again was always vigilant.

i arrive 10 Nov and filled my safe with a combo of Thai baht and £s , the pounds I put into piles of 8 held together with a rubber band, so it was easy to take one out every Monday and change it into thai baht. 

This Monday past I took out the 4th pile and counted it prior to changing , I was surprised to find it was £ 40 short, I then checked the other remaining piles all short, totalling £180.

I figured who ever took it was smart enough to take from the bottom piles of cash, meaning it would take longer for me to notice,  also another odd thing is that they never took any Thai Baht. only £s

I've had upto discovering 5 different lbs in my room and the room owners maintenance guy, I can't figure how it was done, my only guess is I've had a one off lapse and left the safe opens,

what I can't figure is why they only to pounds and not baht, all the girls are on TF and work in bars, I can't single anything out as odd about them so I ain't gonna mention their names

Am just writing this as a head up to anyone , who, like me thinks it won't happen to them.

Second question I want to now open a bank account , but I only have my passport and a 60 visa, if anyone knows anybody who could help me open an account please PM me I would be very grateful

Agentsteel

i dont think you can open an account. i had to take my condo blue book to the bank to show i stay there. i think its the maintenance man .  a working girl would have cleaned you out . or at least taken more . cant see you leaving the safe door open. if you are careful like me with little bundles you would be careful with the door. 

also its probably going to happen again. so maybe put some away in the safety deposit box downstairs at the desk 

Am staying in view Talay 5
who ever did it was quick and knew where to look
also interests me as to why they only took £s and not Thai baht

Anyway lesson learnt
If your safe was locked at all times...then it has to be the maintenance personnel. However, if you left it unlocked by accident and had a shower or something, then its probably one of your LB guests.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, I can't be sure of that and also when it took place.

it seems far to easy to blame the maintenance guy, I spoke to the real estate guy who employs the maintenance guy , he has employed him for ten years and not had a single complaint,  he told me the maintenance guy also has access to all the rooms he manages and not had complaints about him

so I kinda think it was a lb guest and that I mistakenly left the door open

anyways think I may go Fantasy Lounge tonite

just wanted to give everyone a heads up

1 hour ago, hailbritania said:

good fucking luck opening an acct

you basically can not do it unless you live there

i'd recommend seeing a visa place and getting them to help you

on your own you are fucked

Not actually true... you do not have to live here to open an account..... but you will have better chance if you are here on a longer visa than just the 30 days.

Best idea is to try several branches.... take proof of an address... passport.... etc..... if one knocks you back... go to the next one. 

Am staying in view Talay 5
who ever did it was quick and knew where to look
also interests me as to why they only took £s and not Thai baht

Anyway lesson learnt
They may have thought you'd notice the bhat sooner as you using it everyday. You could always ask other guest if it's happened to them. I've stayed in a hotel in Thailand where the maintenance man has been taking from guests safes. They have the master code and a plausible excuse to go into your room.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

If you think it was a lapse on your part to leave the safe open whilst in p4p company - just take the hit.

However if you are certain everything was secure I'd saunter down to Soi 9 and make a report to the BIB. Get a report number and make an insurance claim. Also tell the letting agent.

Simple

Sid

6 hours ago, agentsteel2 said:

Hey guys 

Just a head up, I had money stole from my room at some point  during the last few weeks £180 to be exact.

ive been doing monger for a good 5 years now and liked to think my game is water tight, never been a vivtim of crime here, I usually do a mixture of lbs from bars and TF, never had a problem, but the again was always vigilant.

i arrive 10 Nov and filled my safe with a combo of Thai baht and £s , the pounds I put into piles of 8 held together with a rubber band, so it was easy to take one out every Monday and change it into thai baht. 

This Monday past I took out the 4th pile and counted it prior to changing , I was surprised to find it was £ 40 short, I then checked the other remaining piles all short, totalling £180.

I figured who ever took it was smart enough to take from the bottom piles of cash, meaning it would take longer for me to notice,  also another odd thing is that they never took any Thai Baht. only £s

I've had upto discovering 5 different lbs in my room and the room owners maintenance guy, I can't figure how it was done, my only guess is I've had a one off lapse and left the safe opens,

what I can't figure is why they only to pounds and not baht, all the girls are on TF and work in bars, I can't single anything out as odd about them so I ain't gonna mention their names

Am just writing this as a head up to anyone , who, like me thinks it won't happen to them.

Second question I want to now open a bank account , but I only have my passport and a 60 visa, if anyone knows anybody who could help me open an account please PM me I would be very grateful

Agentsteel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milockie-Hotel-Safe-Lock/113196859982?hash=item1a5b0f024e:g:NF8AAOSwkXRbb6a5

saw this on a similar post, if you were going relatively regularly at worst it would be a deterrant

cheers

10 hours ago, agentsteel2 said:

Thanks Jay, appreciate that, I will call him for a chat

thanks

once you get a Thai bank account you can move money from your home country bank account via Transfierwise

https://transferwise.com/

the rate and fee is way more competitive than transferring directly from the Western country bank to the Thai bank, I use it all the time

Just hope that this helps a bit Agent Steel. There was a similar story maybe 12 months ago and a locked steel cash tin inside your room safe is the way to go.  The thief would probably bail at stealing that and staff would most likely seek more easy prey.  (Your money).

Just go into any branch of Kasikornbank. Take your passport and some cash. Three thousand Baht should do it.

You will walk out of there witt a card, internet banking etc.

Oh, wait, I seem to be having a "De Ja Vu" moment, here.

:)

Edited by Thaiman12

I always expect something like this to happen...been lucky so far. I think you were lucky to only lose £180 - the temptation to take it all must have been almost overpowering.

On 12/6/2018 at 3:40 AM, ausmagoo said:

Not actually true... you do not have to live here to open an account..... but you will have better chance if you are here on a longer visa than just the 30 days.

Best idea is to try several branches.... take proof of an address... passport.... etc..... if one knocks you back... go to the next one.

I second that - I think they toughened their stance, but OP might still get lucky trying various subsidiaries, I would begin with Kasikorn.

I opened my Kasikorn account while on a visa exempt stamp ten years ago.

Let us know how it went. I'm also interested in opening a Thai bank account. Biggest hurdle seem to be that you need some sort of proof that you have a proper address and not just a hotel. But I'm sure LazyJay's friend has ways around that.