Sign in to follow this  
stoolpusher

Bag ransacking exposed

Rate this topic

At my airport departure point you can pay to have your check in luggage covered in cellophane which is supposed to deter tampering .. Not sure if this is standard at most airports or how effective it is. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy_Lovepants said:

At my airport departure point you can pay to have your check in luggage covered in cellophane which is supposed to deter tampering .. Not sure if this is standard at most airports or how effective it is. 

They have that at swampy to Jimmy

Yeah sad to see but no surprise.. always the odd parasite around in somewhere like an airport, primed to fleece you of your stuff.  People have been busted skimming cash during security screenings too.

Cellophaning seems to be everywhere now, probably works.. I'd guess most of this is oppourtunistic.. easy target stuff. 

i never put anything valuable in there. but i am more concerned about something being planted 

it makes me laugh you are responsible for whats in your bag, but they have access to it before you get it of the conveyor . how many have been done like that. i remember the king power scam with the authority's involved .and i used to laugh at the plastic wrappers on the cases .

Just read on pattaya one that a German has been caught stealing bags from the carousel at Suvarnabhumi airport and admitted to have been doing it for ages. He sold the contents for his thai lifestyle. You just cannot trust anyone nowadays it seems. 

The whole idea of this "Honour System" re checked baggage was always going to be tapped IMHO.

I must say, I am surprised it has only manifested in recent years.

Well, save to say that other Expat Friends of mine had their checked baggage vanish without a trace when commuting to the Middle East in years past.

Thus, when going on holidays, what does one really need that cannot be purchased abroad cheaply?

Especially when coming to LOS.

Take a carry on bag full of One's essentials.

Checked baggage is just that.

One's baggage.

Late question, did someone try to steal your cheese grater and hide it in the ceiling?

:)

Edited by Thaiman12

This is checked baggage. There is a huge racket going on inside the cabin with passengers stealing from hand luggage in the over head compartment.

Last year I was flying to Shanghai on business class and frequently the airline puts a notice on the TV screen cautioning about being vigilant about the hand luggage in the over head compartment. I asked the crews what is going on and they said frequently other passengers would steal from the overhead luggage while the passenger is sleeping or in the toilet. It's happening even in business class they said.

Majority of them have been Chinese. So in the China sector they are extremely careful. 

The robbers would change clothes instantly so as to make it difficult to be recognised. The airline did catch someone recently with a stolen laptop. They have even stolen from the crew bags in the cabin. 

22 minutes ago, dav662 said:

This is checked baggage. There is a huge racket going on inside the cabin with passengers stealing from hand luggage in the over head compartment.

Last year I was flying to Shanghai on business class and frequently the airline puts a notice on the TV screen cautioning about being vigilant about the hand luggage in the over head compartment. I asked the crews what is going on and they said frequently other passengers would steal from the overhead luggage while the passenger is sleeping or in the toilet. It's happening even in business class they said.

Majority of them have been Chinese. So in the China sector they are extremely careful. 

The robbers would change clothes instantly so as to make it difficult to be recognised. The airline did catch someone recently with a stolen laptop. They have even stolen from the crew bags in the cabin. 

Well then put a farking padlock on it. They will move on.

Sorted.

And.... so.

Why the fark is this sutt an issue?

I'll tell you why.

Because  certain Folks think, quite naively, that the airline staff should be expected to keep track of a couple of hundred Passenger's carry on baggage.

What is this? Another Precious arse wiping episode?

Go and get farked, look after it yourself.

After all, what happens then? Given you manage to actually survive Customs, Immigration and the rest with bag intact?

Then you get duped into riding a Tuk Tuk / Trike / Taxi to the very next place where you'll be duly ripped off:

And why not? You haven't taken due responsibility for yourself, that's why.

I swear, these Folks just cannot be helped. Because they simply WON'T help themselves.

They are, by definition;

Passengers.

Edited by Thaiman12

I do put a padlock on it. But how many others do?

Also I am sure most passengers lock their checked luggage too but it gets opened. This TSA lock is the best opportunity for people to steal from checked luggage. 

15 minutes ago, dav662 said:

I do put a padlock on it. But how many others do?

Also I am sure most passengers lock their checked luggage too but it gets opened. This TSA lock is the best opportunity for people to steal from checked luggage. 

Oh, pardon me.

I was responding to your post that referenced this:

"There is a huge racket going on inside the cabin with passengers stealing from hand luggage in the over head compartment."

I think the other part is sh*te.

Because that should surely be covered by the previous post that tabled cling wrapping One's checked baggage at the airport for a reasonable cost.

Now you're tabling some sh*t about T.S.A?

I must say, I am on the verge..................

And some say I am incomprehensible.

Christ On A Bike.

Edited by Thaiman12

9 hours ago, Thaiman12 said:

Late question, did someone try to steal your cheese grater and hide it in the ceiling?

why would you bring a cheese grater on holidays......

I suppose some people think these things are important to take witt them when traveling  

Edited by stoolpusher

Not every airport has wrapping. Furthermore the question of wrapping gets negated by the TSA lock. Many a suitcase that has been wrapped has been opened at some airports. Especially if there is a long layover. 

Yes passengers are responsible for what is in their hand luggage but the issue of things disappearing even at security check by the staff is also true. Of course if passengers put padlocks on their hand luggage would make it difficult for others to steal during the flight 

But how many passengers put padlocks on their computer bags?

On 1/24/2019 at 6:24 AM, stoolpusher said:

why would you bring a cheese grater on holidays......

I suppose some people think these things are important to take witt them when traveling  

Well.

I thought in the absence of a video, One was tabling a Cheese Grater?

Or was it just One's baggage?

Twice in recent times my bag has been opened on flights to Suvarnabhumi. I knew immediately upon opening it as I’m a very neat, tidy and methodical packer. Once I was flying in from Phuket, the other LHR.

The Phuket flight it was a hold-all with no lock or security so I’m partly to blame, whereas the LHR-BKK flight was rather more concerning as they’d overcome the Samsonite suitcase’s built in coded lock.

On both occasions nothing was taken nor was there a security label inspection sticker placed on the bag which is usual when a bag is opened as an official random check.

4 minutes ago, singletony said:

I flew back from Miami once and my case which had a padlock on was cracked open by customs.  They put the note in but these could be easily photocopied. 

Well...........

Why do you think that was?

Obviously not to sponsor on board theft? I am thinking that if One sought to secret something in their suitcase then it would be duly cracked?

Or am I missing something, here?

Was it a photo copy?

Or not?

Or, indeed, what was it you had secreted?

Oh, dear..........

Secreted.

Edited by Thaiman12