Sign in to follow this  
jackman

Direct Flight v Stop Over

Rate this topic

Hi Guys 

I've only ever used direct flights. I've seen some great deals on flights with stop overs. I appreciate that there are quite a few influencing factors but I'd love to hear from BMs that have done both. Which do you prefer and why?

Iv,e done both, Iv,e done direct with Thai Airways and Eva Airways and iv,e done stop overs with Etihad via Abudabi and Aeroflot via Moscow.

I generally do the stopovers around Christmas time when the direct flights are too expensive and there ok as long as you can get to your connection on time, i once missed a connection in Moscow because the flight from Heathrow left an hour late so i had to wait 3 hours for the next flight but apart from that one time they have been generally good.

Good parts of a stopover are being able to stretch your legs between flights, the bad parts are doing twice as many security checks and passport control than you have too when you fly direct.

I would like to take a direct flight from Paris, BUT .... the price is discouraging. There are only two companies proposing a direct flight from Paris to BKK: Air France and Thai Air. If you are lucky, you can get a flight for 750 €. This is a combination of extremely high costs of Air France, due to corruption, and a much higher tax applied on longer flights. If you choose Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, Oman Air, Finnair, and (sometimes) Swiss or Austrian, you end up with a lower price and better service. When you take Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, or Oman Air, your flight is divided into two halves of approximately same length. This means, you will not sleep much. If you take Finnair, Swiss, Austrian, or Turkish Airlines, your fight will be divides into two parts with the length of 1/4 and 3/4, or 1/3 and 2/3. This will allow you o sleep on the second leg, provided you are able to sleep sitting in the cattle class. Or just book a business class ticket.

Some friends use Ukrainian Airlines or Aeroflot, but I never tried them. The flights with Air China or Cathay Pacific are just too long. I would definitely NOT use China Eastern, since their service is horrible.

Edited by Nick Bullseye

4 hours ago, carling said:

Iv,e done both, Iv,e done direct with Thai Airways and Eva Airways and iv,e done stop overs with Etihad via Abudabi and Aeroflot via Moscow.

I generally do the stopovers around Christmas time when the direct flights are too expensive and there ok as long as you can get to your connection on time, i once missed a connection in Moscow because the flight from Heathrow left an hour late so i had to wait 3 hours for the next flight but apart from that one time they have been generally good.

Good parts of a stopover are being able to stretch your legs between flights, the bad parts are doing twice as many security checks and passport control than you have too when you fly direct.

I've used Thai and BA. Thai are superb. I prepare well, I take a proper pillow and inflatable pillow. Very good plasma ear plugs. A good blackout mask and good sleep pills. I always get a window seat and usually end up with the next seat free. I can usually get a few hours decent sleep. I can't justify business class. I'd prefer to spend the dosh on other things. 

I saw a great deal on business class with Egyptair. 1150 euro from HR. It's gone up since. I'd pay that no problem.

Think I'll stick with Thai for now. My fight from Ireland lands at terminal 2 and Thai are there also. That avoids a lot of grief.

Edited by jackman

1 hour ago, Nick Bullseye said:

I would like to take a direct flight from Paris, BUT .... the price is discouraging. There are only two companies proposing a direct flight from Paris to BKK: Air France and Thai Air. If you are lucky, you can get a flight for 750 €. This is a combination of extremely high costs of Air France, due to corruption, and a much higher tax applied on longer flights. If you choose Emirates, Etihad, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, Oman Air, Finnair, and (sometimes) Swiss or Austrian, you end up with a lower price and better service. When you take Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, or Oman Air, your flight is divided into two halves of approximately same length. This means, you will not sleep much. If you take Finnair, Swiss, Austrian, or Turkish Airlines, your fight will be divides into two parts with the length of 1/4 and 3/4, or 1/3 and 2/3. This will allow you o sleep on the second leg, provided you are able to sleep sitting in the cattle class. Or just book a business class ticket.

Some friends use Ukrainian Airlines or Aeroflot, but I never tried them. The flights with Air China or Cathay Pacific are just too long. I would definitely NOT use China Eastern, since their service is horrible.

Some good points there Nick. Paris is pretty expensive for direct flights. I changed get Thai direct for less than e600. It's not worth doing a stopover  to save 100 quid IMO.

Direct for me wherever possible, flying out on Monday from Heathrow, £523 with Thai International ---------------- far better than sitting in Dubai airport for two hours or more. I have used Eva Air many times but they were too expensive for this trip.

11 minutes ago, Trampolinos said:

Direct for me wherever possible, flying out on Monday from Heathrow, £523 with Thai International ---------------- far better than sitting in Dubai airport for two hours or more. I have used Eva Air many times but they were too expensive for this trip.

Bringing paint?

:)

5 hours ago, jackman said:

Hi Guys 

I've only ever used direct flights. I've seen some great deals on flights with stop overs. I appreciate that there are quite a few influencing factors but I'd love to hear from BMs that have done both. Which do you prefer and why?

No direct flights from Ireland jackman you have to stop off somewhere 

I'd love to fly direct (but business class not economy). Only ever done stopovers in ME as no direct flights from Manchester.

A direct flight knocks 4 hours off the journey even if the stopover is only around 2 hours or so.

18 minutes ago, zeppo said:

I'd love to fly direct (but business class not economy). Only ever done stopovers in ME as no direct flights from Manchester.

A direct flight knocks 4 hours off the journey even if the stopover is only around 2 hours or so.

It'd be nice but costs about e2800 with Thai, BA and Eva. That's a lot of BFs and STs. Lol

Just booked with Emirates from Heathrow to BKK with a stop in Dubai, been years since i flew non direct and usually go with Thai over Eva depending on price.

Have flown Royal Jordanian with a 6 hour stop in Amman, not good. Flew a few times with Jet Airways with a stop in Mumbai, total chaos at security and vowed never again.  Hiwever, there is a new Terminal 2 in Mumbai but the transit in still one hour according to their Twitter.

Flights in April were around £1000 minimum in April direct and £5-600 non direct so it was a no brainer to go with Emirates. Not heard any bad reports and only 6.5 both legs with about 2 hours transit, acceptable imo.  Slid the holiday back a week to get that price so it wasn't Easter prices that i can see.

Looking at direct in July and November, less than £500 so it will be back to Thai and Eva without a second thought. Usually sleep for 8 if those hours so always preferred direct.

Direct flight. Done a couple of stop overs but I just linger about thinking its a waste of time, could already be in the air closer to starting the tour, not bothered about saving £200 would rather save time

Stop Over! 6-7 hours on an aeroplane is enough without a couple of hours break. I cannot sleep on a plane , so the idea of 12-13 hours non-stop would  bore me shitless.

Direct would be fine, but it doesn't exist from Birmingham so Emirates or Qatar it is. Not worth going to Heathrow for direct.  It doesn't really matter too much either way, It's all painful but necessary. 

I've never missed even a tight connection in Dubai so far, despite being a fat cunt I can walk pretty quick when the need arises. 

£431 heathrow to bkk on BA  booked for june  …. done stop overs and direct  .. like willson  said jet air ways  a nightmare for security sooo many people …. done a emirates stop over on xmas day got food poisoning on the first leg missed the connection took three days to get to bkk via  hongkong   .. they allways  over book there flights as I found out any way any flight that gets you to  Thailand is ok with me

Both have advantages and disadvantages. If the stop is about halfway and takes 1.5 to 2 hours I'd say it's comparable to a direct flight. Gives some time to stretch the old legs and take a decent shit. 

I have only ever flown direct from Heathrow. I have used EVA a few times and last time I used Thai on their A380 flight. All times economy flights. 

In the past never fancied a flight with a stop over. I just wanted to get there ASAP. Mind you the flight back always seems to drag.

I have looked at the prices of a 1 stop flight and nearly booked one last time but the Thai A380 flight that leaves LHR around mid day was perfect for my last trip.

I use to fly Emirates with a stopover in Dubai (frequent flyer program), which I find quite pleasant. Stretch your legs and walk around a bit, shopping.
A few years ago a forgot to check the layover time and I was stuck in Dubai airport for 9 hours. Fucking nightmare.
Last December I choose Eurowings over Emirates because they were cheaper and had a non-stop flight.
I would't do it again. In fact, it wasn't cheaper in the end 'cause you had to pay for everything. Drink, food, entertainment, headspeakers, choosen seat, even for a fuckn blanket and pillow they charged money..

Fuckety fuck would TM12 say.

O.

20 minutes ago, odotor said:

Last December I choose Eurowings over Emirates because they were cheaper and had a non-stop flight.
I would't do it again. In fact, it wasn't cheaper in the end 'cause you had to pay for everything. Drink, food, entertainment, headspeakers, choosen seat, even for a fuckn blanket and pillow they charged money..

Yeah I've seen Eurowings with cheapish options for a few destinations for me, but always looked painfully shit, they have that cheap and nasty kind of vibe going. It's annoying enough with a 4 star airline like Emirates, can't face worse. 

2 minutes ago, jaykao said:

Yeah I've seen Eurowings with cheapish options for a few destinations for me, but always looked painfully shit, they have that cheap and nasty kind of vibe going. It's annoying enough with a 4 star airline like Emirates, can't face worse. 

Right. Eurowing is one of the airlines I predict to go broke in 2019.

If it is a nightflight i prefer direct flights. Last december i used Thai Airways from Frankfurt. I must say it was the Phuket flight. Means first land was in Phuket. And Immigration was in Phuket too. No Passport control in BKK. Flights Back from BKK r most in nightime so direct is pretty fine. Even 11 hours r Hardcore.

An afternoon flight from here over VAE is okay too. A no go ist an early das start like Oman Air around 11 am. Even i not far from Frankfurt Airport. Reason ist for an early flight U must stand Up in the middle of the night

The best on long flights is when they over!

London to Bangkok it’s non stop every time for me with EVA Air. the additional cost is unimportant. 

Twice a year I also fly Adelaide to Bangkok return via Singapore on Singapore Airlines, there are no direct ADL-BKK flights....this layover at Changi changing planes and terminals always reaffirms my opinion that non stop is much more desirable.