Sign in to follow this  
jackman

Direct Flight v Stop Over

Rate this topic

Agree with the non stop option given a choice, but when EVA and Thai were both £1000 - £1300 for the last month, Economy, i couldnt bring myself to pay it.

Those are xmas prices!

Anyone comes on here and tells me they are cheaper now (refuse to check!), i will cry.

Apparently non direct from Glasgow were around £1000 for the same week according to C̶e̶l̶t̶i̶c̶ GlasgowRob.

Edited by willsson
Obvious

2 hours ago, willsson said:

Agree with the non stop option given a choice, but when EVA and Thai were both £1000 - £1300 for the last month, Economy, i couldnt bring myself to pay it.

Those are xmas prices!

Anyone comes on here and tells me they are cheaper now (refuse to check!), i will cry.

Apparently non direct from Glasgow were around £1000 for the same week according to C̶e̶l̶t̶i̶c̶ GlasgowRob.

Based on the feed back here, I'll stick with Direct (Thai Airways) unless it costs a few hundred.more than the stopover option.

Best booking time is about 5 month ahead, especially for direct flights.

If I use skyscanner, get some quotes airline direct bookings wont match.

Gives me more options, can avoid Lufthansa, Swiss, AUA, Eurowings. Worst cattle class, seats awful in those. Finair is ok if you like the early 9am start in BKK, friend just used Aeroflot, new planes but sh.t service (30 minutes between breakfast serving and coffee). Oman and the other arabs are ok if they serve your area, esp the seats in Qatar are very good. Too bad their flights for stay more than 1 month get pricey.

My preference is EVA direct, even when they dumped their premium eco on some destinations. Direct flight after summer 542 Euro now. Eco from Vienna.

You might get some promos later, but all I saw so far have been stopover. Those with stopover are more expensive right now for after summer than direct. For direct book in advance.

19 hours ago, Botafogo said:

London to Bangkok it’s non stop every time for me with EVA Air. the additional cost is unimportant. 

Twice a year I also fly Adelaide to Bangkok return via Singapore on Singapore Airlines, there are no direct ADL-BKK flights....this layover at Changi changing planes and terminals always reaffirms my opinion that non stop is much more desirable.

I didn't know EVA is flying out of London.
Cherjam told me he had to fly to Amsterdam to catch the EVA flight there.

11 hours ago, cookoo said:

Best booking time is about 5 month ahead, especially for direct flights.

If I use skyscanner, get some quotes airline direct bookings wont match.

Gives me more options, can avoid Lufthansa, Swiss, AUA, Eurowings. Worst cattle class, seats awful in those. Finair is ok if you like the early 9am start in BKK, friend just used Aeroflot, new planes but sh.t service (30 minutes between breakfast serving and coffee). Oman and the other arabs are ok if they serve your area, esp the seats in Qatar are very good. Too bad their flights for stay more than 1 month get pricey.

Qatar and Ethiad are good quality airlines.   I was wonderning about Finnair though their schedule looks very nice to me, but I've heard some poor reports on their ground crew, is service ok? and someone said there's problems selecting a seat in economy when you check in? don't want to pay excessive seat reservation charges.

Just to throw in another option. One of my mates regularly flies Oman air  MAN-BKK and has never been let down. Economy is good and the big seats are brilliant. Prices always competitive . I've never used them, part of the One World group but he uses nothing else now. Departures and connection are favorable too I recall. Maybe worth a try.

5 hours ago, odotor said:

I didn't know EVA is flying out of London.
Cherjam told me he had to fly to Amsterdam to catch the EVA flight there.

Yep.....continuously since the mid 90’s.

Cherjam’s routing possibly has something to do with his deep rooted Caledonian resentment of all things English:mad:.

Or more likely; when travelling from parts of the UK more than a few hours hours drive to LHR, it makes plenty of sense to utilise a local regional airport’s service to AMS then onward to BKK. I used to do similar when living elsewhere.

6 hours ago, jaykao said:

Qatar and Ethiad are good quality airlines.   I was wonderning about Finnair though their schedule looks very nice to me, but I've heard some poor reports on their ground crew, is service ok? and someone said there's problems selecting a seat in economy when you check in? don't want to pay excessive seat reservation charges.

Ground crew never a problem for me, I am not sure about a seat fee (like the lufthansa group charges 25 for every leg)

Airport is small, so even a tight layover can be done without stress (besides had a feeling finish people never have stress)

Coming from manchester  and as other guys have said no direct service , this time im flying premium ecom on cathy pacifice direct to hong kong  then 1 hr 30  on the ground and then 2-40 to bkk , so about the same times as either qatar or emirates, but it gives me a longer time to sleep on both the long legs to and from the uk

On 2/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, aot871 said:

Coming from manchester  and as other guys have said no direct service , this time im flying premium ecom on cathy pacifice direct to hong kong  then 1 hr 30  on the ground and then 2-40 to bkk , so about the same times as either qatar or emirates, but it gives me a longer time to sleep on both the long legs to and from the uk

Let us know how that goes for you, please

I much prefer flying direct, have been using them for a good few years now.

Before that, I did use Eva quite a lot..I prefer Thai though...better flight times for me, plus I prefer the A380s to Eva's 777s.

i " normally " book about 4 months before travelling. The last few times I've booked on Thais website...keep checking their fares every couple of days...then when it drops...I book and try to get a good seat.

last time I went non direct was with Qatar airlines...maybe 3-5 years ago....they were ..OK...but I much prefer direct flights.

I used several airlines Heathrow to Bangkok over the years Ethiad Oman Qatar and some I can't remember,

Evaair is easily the best for me except the flight times are a bit inconvenient, flying out this month £503 return economy,

Ethiads the best for me of the non direct if i can find flight with short stopover and convenient flight times.

I don't enjoy flying much anymore so the sooner its all over the better

Have flown with Eva about 10 times, Thai 4, BA once all direct from London

Emirates many from Birmingham & Stanstead

Qatar from london twice

KLM and Lufthansa from Birmingham

Have a silver card with Emirates so like about 3 hours at Dubai in the Business lounge, also usually get offer of an upgrade at reasonable price. I pay for a flexi type ticket to get the extra points and get a good selection of seats

But much prefer direct. I cannot sleep well on planes. So like to take a couple of sleeping tablets and hope to get 4/5 hours on the direct, not so easy with Emirates as it is 7.5 hours to Dubai and 6.5 hours to BKK. At Dubai there is the hassle of going through security again and a long and agroed walk to change terminals, nearly always going down to the train and up to the plane, generally 20 mins if u lucky, longer if you do not rush

Seems the London direct flight are very competitive at the moment and parking at Heathrow only £10 more than the regional airports

As I am not coming to Thailand 4/5 times a year now, would think direct is the best

Best Airline Service  for me was Qatar - Eva - Emirates -KLM - Thai - BA -Lufthansa

hope I will be fit to get back again in due course

Direct flight via EVA from Heathrow is my most common choice. Book 7 - 10 months in advance and never payed more than £600. 

Only time of the year I fly indirect is at Christmas generally to save £300 - £400. Done a fair few stopovers Dubai, Beijing, Mumbai, Delhi, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Vienna, Athens & Amman to name a few. The worst stopovers being Beijing (ignorant fuckers) and Mumbai (Indians with too much hand luggage causing chaos).