larrymac90

30 day visa extension

Rate this topic

Hello Gents,

I arrived on a 60 day visa.

Next week I will be visiting Jomtien Immigration for a 30 day extension.

I have 2 copies of my passport data page, departure card, arrival stamp and visa.

I have 1 Photo.

I will pick up the hotel confirmation letter that I am staying there.

Do I need anything else other than the 1900bt?

Thanks in advance

You've got it all.

When you get there they now make you go to the house registrations office to the left with your filled in TM30 form. They'll give you a receipt in there, and then back out and get a ticket for the visa extension section.

It was very busy in there a couple of weeks ago when I went in, but I was still out in about 90 mins. (Spent most of that in the house registrations office)

Get there before 8.30. It gets really manic this time of year, and they'll ask you to come back the next day if it's too busy.

If the place you are staying has not reported your stay to immigration you will also likely have to pay a 1600 baht fine.

Edited by Len Dtuut

I was fined 1600 baht today as immigration told me that you have to turn up in person to register yourself within 3 days of arriving in Thailand.

Is this a con to get money out of you?

15 minutes ago, larrymac90 said:

I was fined 1600 baht today as immigration told me that you have to turn up in person to register yourself within 3 days of arriving in Thailand.

Where are you staying in Thailand, in a hotel, rented apartment or guesthouse?

1 hour ago, larrymac90 said:

Its actually the responsibility of the house owner/manager , and they should be liable for the fine if they haven't complied .

I believe hotels do it each day so that is sorted  . Are you staying in your own condo or with a friend ?

I got nailed for 1600 last year as I admitted I was the owner of the property . 

I was smarter when I was there today and in/out in an hour for 1900 Baht for 30 days 

26 minutes ago, LordJim said:

Its actually the responsibility of the house owner/manager , and they should be liable for the fine if they haven't complied .

I believe hotels do it each day so that is sorted  . Are you staying in your own condo or with a friend ?

I got nailed for 1600 last year as I admitted I was the owner of the property . 

I was smarter when I was there today and in/out in an hour for 1900 Baht for 30 days 

Indeed it is, Good Sir.

Sutt an interesting idea.

The idea of "What Goes Around........Comes Around".

Again.

:)

11 hours ago, zeppo said:

Where are you staying in Thailand, in a hotel, rented apartment or guesthouse?

I am staying in the LK Metropole so I know they would have registered me.

I also had the paperwork from the hotel (hotel registration and managers  ID picture).

I had a Thai speaker with me at immigration who confirmed that the officer was adamant that the new rule is you have to personally register yourself at immigration within 3 days of arriving in Thailand or you are fined.

sounds crazy to me, can you imagine every tourist in Thailand converging on immigration 3 days after entering the country . 

5 minutes ago, markm said:

sounds crazy to me, can you imagine every tourist in Thailand converging on immigration 3 days after entering the country . 

I agree it would be unworkable.

It's either a con that I fell for or nearly everyone will be fined taking the 1900 baht cost up to 3500 baht.

I know the same fine was imposed on another guy last week but don't know if his accommodation had registered him.

I am staying in the LK Metropole so I know they would have registered me.

I also had the paperwork from the hotel (hotel registration and managers  ID picture).

I had a Thai speaker with me at immigration who confirmed that the officer was adamant that the new rule is you have to personally register yourself at immigration within 3 days of arriving in Thailand or you are fined.

Amazing!!! There is no doubt in my mind that LK Metropole will have registered you correctly. Sounds like individual I/Os are making things up as they go. 

I'm getting the feeling more and more, that the Thais really do just see farangs as walking ATMs. It used to be the bargirls, now it's the government officials. Getting fined for doing nothing wrong. They don't want long term stayers here IMO.

It's either a con that I fell for or nearly everyone will be fined taking the 1900 baht cost up to 3500 baht.

I know the same fine was imposed on another guy last week but don't know if his accommodation had registered him.

About a year ago they were catching people who had not registered themselves upon re-entry to Thailand. The rule has always been there, but rarely enforced. They were doing this when the person went to Jomtien and asked for an extension. Maybe now that this source of income has dried up (people learnt their lesson and are registering themselves), they are fleecing people another way. It could encourage people to use an agent, who then gives a back hander to Immigration. Now that agents cannot help retirement extensions by putting 800k baht in someone's account for 1 hour and doing the ''processing'' at Jomtien, then that source of backhanders has disappeared.

I've just looked on Thaivisa (I'm not a member) and there is no mention of anyone else getting scammed in this way. Could be a one-off as the I/O needed some quick funds?

A mate of mine is going down there in a few days for a extension, I'll see what happens to him. 

I think you got taken Larry or at the least treated very unfairly ....

It is definitely the person who controls the Residence that has to make a declaration , which is a two page form ..... Page 1 is the details of each Visitor and Page 2 is a summary of all visitors check in in that day . I would assume that each hotel/ guest house completes one of these declarations every day or every other day .

There is no way that a tourist should /could do this ...can you imagine , every time you change rooms you have to run to Immigration in each area and reregister ...madness .

But TiT and their ball so their game .....so we have to comply 

I wasn't going to share this loophole with anyone , as I dont want it closed but here goes :

Despite all my good intentions last arrival I still didn't go to Jomptien within 48hrs of arrival so when I went along yesterday  (5th ) for a 30 day extension , I filled in a form for Residence , stating I had arrived that day at the address I have in Pratumnak . 

This leaves open the question of where was I staying for the previous 30 days , to which I responded that I was staying with my friend in Bangkok and that  we had registered that at Immigration Bangkok on arrival 4 weeks ago . I told her that I had just come down to Pattaya on the bus today for two weeks with my friend who managed the aforementioned condo .

She asked to speak to the Pattaya manager , but didn't question my Bangkok story nor ask me what the address was . (This is important ) 

I had expected my Gf to be with me but she had a driving lesson so  this did cause a glitch , so I was anticipating waiting an hour until the Gf showed up .  I told the lady that the manager couldn't be there but had given me the House Blue Book to present to her , which I presented . 

She asked me if I had the Managers phone number so I called my GF and they spoke briefly ...confirming my story .

This was all accepted and my Pattaya Residency was accepted and the form duly stamped with no fines 

So 

The point is ............Pattaya and Bangkok / Khon Kaen Buriram etc don't share info , and there doesn't appear to be a paper  that one has to produce to support the Registration

Also 

Note on the Blue Arrival Declaration it clearly asks where you are staying , so why would you then have to go to the same Department the next day to make another Declaration ? Furthermore it  states on that form that Visitors must register their place of residency if they stay in Thailand for more than (60 or 90)  days . I forget how long exactly and cannt be arsed to have a look now but it's certainly not 48 hours.

there are a few cases in the phuket immigration  office who are also making the rules up as they go. more delaying of saying you dont have the right information when you clearly do , then say its at there discretion. 

2 hours ago, LordJim said:

Also 

Note on the Blue Arrival Declaration it clearly asks where you are staying , so why would you then have to go to the same Department the next day to make another Declaration ? Furthermore it  states on that form that Visitors must register their place of residency if they stay in Thailand for more than (60 or 90)  days . I forget how long exactly and cannt be arsed to have a look now but it's certainly not 48 hours.

Are you referring to the immigration form you fill in for arrival and departure? I've never noticed that statement on there before. 

4 hours ago, ukmale40 said:

Are you referring to the immigration form you fill in for arrival and departure? I've never noticed that statement on there before. 

Yes tha one they give you on the aircraft ...read the back of it 

I contacted my landlord in Bkk to ask them to do the TM30 since I'm returning soon and will need to extend my tourist visa (my 1y non expired) They had of course no idea what it was.

1. So, to avoid problems should I meet in person within 48h to deliver the TM30? 

2. If I bring the rental contract (which btw is from 1.1.18) would the landlord get in trouble for not registering me before?

Edit: Did read up on other forums and apparantly 2. doesn't matter

Edited by ErikHansen

If you go to Immigration within 48 hours of landing (excluding weekends ) and take your tennancy agreement you should be ok as I would doubt they would look back on previous trips ...but TiT so they may do .

They seem to rely on you making incriminating statements ...like confessing you didn't register previously .

So if the ask you , just say that you understand the landlord did it last time .

At worst its 1600B/fine