Kapitan

Don Mueng Airport vs Suvarnabhumi??

Rate this topic

As many times as I've flown into Bkk and landed at Suvarnabhumi, I found a lower fare into DM and was wondering if anyone of you have done that.... and specifically, how is it getting into the Nana area Taxi/Uber wise??    Is it any closer or more convenient?   

Thanks for the input.  

Kap

I used DM as my entry and exit point last trip. It's a long way from Sukhumvit and I'm not sure what the bus options are. I think from memory the taxi fare was somewhere between 200-300. Leaving I couldn't even find a taxi on Sukhumvit and had to ride on the back of a bike with luggage to DM... It was a nightmare, never again!

DM is closer to Nana, it can be very convenient and quicker than Suvarnabhumi if the traffic is light, but no train yet. (The Skytrain is being extended to DM which will make it extremely convenient)

But it's a bit inefficient and if you are there when Chinese hoardes arrive then it can be slow going through immigration. Avoid the taxi queues downstairs and head up to Departures and grab one that has just dropped people off.

If the fares are much cheaper than DM is worth it.

DM is closer to Nana, it can be very convenient and quicker than Suvarnabhumi if the traffic is light, but no train yet. (The Skytrain is being extended to DM which will make it extremely convenient)
But it's a bit inefficient and if you are there when Chinese hoardes arrive then it can be slow going through immigration. Avoid the taxi queues downstairs and head up to Departures and grab one that has just dropped people off.
If the fares are much cheaper than DM is worth it.

imho Suvarnabhumi is more convinient from Nana taking BTS to PhayaThai and then the MRT Airport Link. Total costs less than 100baht, takes about 1hour without the risk of traffic jam. To DMK you use BTS to MoChit and then look for a taxi or a Bus.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, onebraveaussie said:

ok don m is cheaper version for air fares, but us older guys don muang is first home, taxi ok to nana or pattaya, just have to dodge the yellow peril, chinese,

Nana is fine, but Pattaya can be a nightmare when it's busy, can take an hour+ just to get to Suvarnabhumi

There's a bus (A1) outside Arrivals that takes the expressway and drops off at Mo Chit BTS for 30 baht and also be used in reverse for Mo Chit to the Airport.

Depends on how much luggage you're bringing I guess. I've used it loads of times for domestic flights but usually that means just a rucksack and a cabin sized case.

There's also the less frequent A2 bus which stops at Mo Chit but also at Victory Monument, a good few stops closer to Nana. I reckon you won't save much time as it drops off at Mo Chit then most of the other BTS stops between Mo Chit and Victory Monument.

obi2bm1ptZ5z0rVZuxE-o.jpg

I arrived into Don Mung airport 2 days ago after a lovely 4 day side trip to Chiangmai. I was met on arrival by my usual taxi driver but it took almost an hour extra to drive to Pattaya. So basically if you have the choice and want to get to Pattaya quicker then I would choose Suvarnabhumi.

As an aside, i loved the laid back vibe in Chiangmai, sorry I did not book to stay there longer. i will the next time.  I took some company with me from Pattaya. 

Daytripper

I've flown in and out of DM quite a few times. If you arrive in the evening (9 PM onwards) you can often get through customs there super quick. However, during the day Chinese tourist planes seem to land in big numbers and it can be slow. Agree with the earlier tip about going up to Departures to grab a taxi. At night the taxi ride into Sukhimvit is super quick. 20 minutes to Nana. During the day it's one hour or more. However, it's true that if you are going straight to Pattaya rather than downtown Bangkok it will add another hour to your trip. If you want to catch a bus to Pattaya from DM airport then you can get the A1/2 bus to Mo Chit, then a very short taxi ride to the Northern Bus Terminal where there are regular buses leaving for Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, daytripper said:

I arrived into Don Mung airport 2 days ago after a lovely 4 day side trip to Chiangmai. I was met on arrival by my usual taxi driver but it took almost an hour extra to drive to Pattaya. So basically if you have the choice and want to get to Pattaya quicker then I would choose Suvarnabhumi.

As an aside, i loved the laid back vibe in Chiangmai, sorry I did not book to stay there longer. i will the next time.  I took some company with me from Pattaya. 

Daytripper

Maybe next time you can also consider to fly from Chiang Mai straight to Pattaya.
Air Asia flies twice a day.

3 hours ago, Kapitan said:

As many times as I've flown into Bkk and landed at Suvarnabhumi, I found a lower fare into DM and was wondering if anyone of you have done that.... and specifically, how is it getting into the Nana area Taxi/Uber wise??    Is it any closer or more convenient?   

Thanks for the input.  

Kap

There is a bus running from Don Muang Airport to Mo Chit BTS stop or Victory square. Take BTS to Nana. Taxi around 250 Bahts.

Edited by ladyboys113

A couple of issues to highlight. The visa on arrival has a longer queue most of the time in BKk. In DMK it's less most of the time.

So if you don't need visa DMK is better as the immigration queue is a lot less on arrival.

The taxis queue is of course a lot longer in DMK. At BKK you just walk and there is a taxi available. 

On departures of course it's a mess in DMK. BKK is much smoother at check in and immigration and of course the departure lounges. 

The taxis from Nana at a fixed price is 400 to 450 to both airports.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, daytripper said:

Daytripper

You can also fly Chiang Mai- Utapao now on Air Asia. I did it last June- very convenient. 

My limited experience of flying into the Pattaya airport is that there are less options available and its generally more expensive to fly into there than the other airports. Also taxis seem to charge the same as those leaving Bkk. How have others found it?

17 hours ago, Aprilbr said:

My limited experience of flying into the Pattaya airport is that there are less options available and its generally more expensive to fly into there than the other airports. Also taxis seem to charge the same as those leaving Bkk. How have others found it?

It's very surprising given that Utapao airport charges are lower than BKK and DMK. Maybe the traffic still has not picked up for the Airlines to reduce the fares? 

On 2/24/2019 at 8:36 AM, Aprilbr said:

Utapao is no better than BKK, when coming from other parts of LOS I think really. Taxis 1000  though there is a shared minibus option for 250, it's not much closer drive-time.   I flew in to there from Chiang Mai on Thai Lion, average experience. It's a lot smaller than BKK I guess so you save a bit of time walking. 

I use DMK exclusively these days coming from Japan(Narita/Haneda). Usually coming in late afternoon or early morning. Lines are minimal for immigration. Also IMO I have found that DMK is less hectic but I can see how finding a taxi can be tough.