LordJim

Dental Implants ?

Rate this topic

I have had great success capping my teeth here in Pattaya about 4 years ago ...very reasonable price and a great result which is standing the test of time  ( my Dentist is also super hot !) 

So today I made enquiries about having two implants at the back to replace two teeth which are missing and for which I wear a partial denture ....I have two missing top and bottom both sides and she quoted me 60,000 per tooth plus other disbursements / CT Scan/ X Rays / Possible bone graft (15,000) if required 

So I am looking at 250,000B ++ 

Thats 6000£ ++ today 

It seems like a lot so am wondering if anyone else has had this done and most importantly ...does it work ?

Second consideration is ...does the price she quoted seem reasonable compared to others experience ....seems expensive to me compared to the crown and root canal work she did for me ?

Thanks 

That sounds very high to me.  I had one done here in the U.S. two years ago for $2100 U.S.

That included extracting the old tooth, root canal, implant and cap.  Around 3 hours total for the procedure.  Not positive we're comparing apples to apples as far as our cases go, but I would get a second opinion.

As far as how it works - fantastic.  My old tooth had been damaged by an impacted wisdom tooth, but the implant is solid as a rock.  Glad I did it.

I just remembered - one more thing to be aware of.  I was given the choice of breaking the procedure into two appointments, but I went ahead and did it all at once.  They had my mouth wide open for about 3 hours, and on top of that were injecting the nerve block/pain shots into my gums. 

About a week after the procedure, I could barely open my mouth.  Trying to open it beyond half an inch or so was very painful.  This lasted around 3 weeks and was fucking awful.  I had to either chop up my food into very tiny bites, or eat a lot of soup.  This is apparently not uncommon, but I wasn't warned about it.  It's a form of lockjaw in reaction to the shots and stress on the muscles, from what I understand.  So if you can, break it up into separate appointments - you don't want this shit at all.

Google "lockjaw after root canal" - lots of info there.  But I still recommend the procedure, the new tooth is great.

12 hours ago, LordJim said:

I have had great success capping my teeth here in Pattaya about 4 years ago ...very reasonable price and a great result which is standing the test of time  ( my Dentist is also super hot !) 

So today I made enquiries about having two implants at the back to replace two teeth which are missing and for which I wear a partial denture ....I have two missing top and bottom both sides and she quoted me 60,000 per tooth plus other disbursements / CT Scan/ X Rays / Possible bone graft (15,000) if required 

Thats 6000£ ++ today 

It seems like a lot so am wondering if anyone else has had this done and most importantly ...does it work ?

Second consideration is ...does the price she quoted seem reasonable compared to others experience ....seems expensive to me compared to the crown and root canal work she did for me ?

Thanks 

i go to the dental hospital in bkk. its pretty much the same price. i know this wont help you but its now cheaper in Australia not by much but still cheaper 

oh if you need to do a visa run bali has a great dentist and its just over half the  price of thailand 

i dont know about that my mate and i pulled 2 indo girls around 28 we r 60 so yeah it can happen 

I had some very extreme dental work, Done in the UK three operations to build up my jaw, three lots of implant surgery, 11 teeth sitting on a bridge, Took over 18 months to complete, with over 30 appointments, The first lot of implants, i was in the chair for Two and a half hours. 

Total cost Free, didn't even have to pay for the prescription pain killers, or medicated mouth washes, 

Oh the fantastic NHS

On 3/1/2019 at 1:06 AM, LordJim said:

Thats 6000£ ++ today 

Thanks 

In Australia it will cost around 3000AUD per tooth, but I had mine done not long after the originals were taken out. The quality and depth of the bone are factors . You really want an orthodontist to do the assessments and inserts , dentist can fit the teeth. Australia is really good for these. 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:42 PM, just curious said:

I had some very extreme dental work, Done in the UK three operations to build up my jaw, three lots of implant surgery, 11 teeth sitting on a bridge, Took over 18 months to complete, with over 30 appointments, The first lot of implants, i was in the chair for Two and a half hours. 

Total cost Free, didn't even have to pay for the prescription pain killers, or medicated mouth washes, 

Oh the fantastic NHS

Wow ....I am amazed that NHS paid for that work ....I thought they would just issue you with dentures free of charge and implants would be considered an unnecessary luxury .

Maybe yours was a special case ?

On 2/28/2019 at 7:26 AM, DDengler said:

That sounds very high to me.  I had one done here in the U.S. two years ago for $2100 U.S.

That included extracting the old tooth, root canal, implant and cap.  Around 3 hours total for the procedure.  Not positive we're comparing apples to apples as far as our cases go, but I would get a second opinion.

As far as how it works - fantastic.  My old tooth had been damaged by an impacted wisdom tooth, but the implant is solid as a rock.  Glad I did it.

That price is much lower than the average cost in the US for the a complete implant.  I live close to Mexico and had an implant done there for $1500, it would have cost me twice that much where I live in the US.  Having an implant done in Thailand may not be the best option unless you live there or will be there for a long time.  The entire procedure if done correctly can take several appointments over a period of a few months.

Edited by topdog

6 hours ago, LordJim said:

Wow ....I am amazed that NHS paid for that work ....I thought they would just issue you with dentures free of charge and implants would be considered an unnecessary luxury .

Maybe yours was a special case ?

Yes mine was a special case, but not uncommon a friend of of mine who makes dentures, told me, that the treatment i had, would, if i paid for it, Be in excess of £30,000 . When i was telling him . he asked me who my surgeon was, he asked me if it was proffesor ................ He was right , aparantley he is the no1 implamt surgeon. When i had my implants put in , there was him two assistants , and thirteen students, all in my face for Over two and a half hours. I had it done at Guy,s hospital dental school in london.

On 3/2/2019 at 6:13 AM, LL Cool Dave said:

In Australia it will cost around 3000AUD per tooth, but I had mine done not long after the originals were taken out. The quality and depth of the bone are factors . You really want an orthodontist to do the assessments and inserts , dentist can fit the teeth. Australia is really good for these. 

I have to correct you:

The orthodontist is the guy who does brackets.

You ment an oral surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon.

On 2/28/2019 at 3:26 PM, DDengler said:

I am a bit confused:

Inserting an implant and capping it after the healing time is a possible treatment after tooth loss.

Root canal treatment is to keep an infected tooth.

You cant do both on the same tooth.

9 hours ago, Somjot said:

I have to correct you:

The orthodontist is the guy who does brackets.

You ment an oral surgeon or a maxillofacial surgeon.

I know who I saw mate. Cheers

edit: looked him up, he is a dental surgeon too lol. That’s the implant then . 

Edited by LL Cool Dave