19 replies to this topic

#1 mik

mik

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Never saw this in Pattaya but when I was in Phuket,I twice had farangs trying to give out these scratch cards,I listened for a bit to one of these assholes.You scratch the card and of course you win a prize.They then want you to go somewhere to get this prize,and when you get there they "give" you 5000 baht all you have to do is give them your credit card number.Really if anyone was dumb enough to fall for this they probably deserve to lose their money.
I can handle the endless Thai touts and even the friendly tailors ,but expats trying to scam tourists really pisses me off. :Angry (With Teeth):

Edited by mik, 30 August 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#2 69billy

69billy

LB Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

I think all that is link to some kind of timeshare selling shit...But I could be wrong.. :unsure:

#3 ArthurDent

ArthurDent

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:sex, computergames, sex, soccer, sex, formula 1, sex, traveling, sex, reading, sex, movies, sex, tv-shows (series), sex and sex ofcourse

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

well i still have an old credit card ... nothing attached to the number ... maybe i should take this card with me ;)

#4 Bolton Beast

Bolton Beast

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Interests:Football,Eating,Golf & Sex

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

I think all that is link to some kind of timeshare selling shit...But I could be wrong.. :unsure:

your not far off Billy its some daft holiday club rubbish that the rubes will fall for who have 2 weeks with 1st Choice a year.

#5 robw

robw

Offering Colorectal Services To LB's All Over Asia!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

I've had them approach me but I just ignore them.

#6 Turk182

Turk182

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

I gave some vendors 5 mins of my time, had scratch cards that I didn't win, then they gave me another to "try again" I did win and they were jumping up and down lol, apparantly no one wins they say, then they try to get me to go in taxi to some hotel to "Claim" my prize, like fuck... I just walked....

No such thing as a free meal and if its too good to be true... then you know the answer :)

#7 mucevoli

mucevoli

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

I gave some vendors 5 mins of my time, had scratch cards that I didn't win, then they gave me another to "try again" I did win and they were jumping up and down lol, apparantly no one wins they say, then they try to get me to go in taxi to some hotel to "Claim" my prize, like fuck... I just walked....

No such thing as a free meal and if its too good to be true... then you know the answer :)

I had the same thing. They started off asking me to do a survey and I thought, why not. Asked me questions about my age, where I was staying and for how long etc. Then they handed over the cards and it was exactly as you describe. Surprise surpirse I won the Star prize, a free holiday. When I told them I didn't want it they acted surpirsed "But this is the star prize, It's very valuable". So I told them "It's your lucky day then, I'm giving it to you as a present". :)

#8 Turk182

Turk182

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Way I see it, in Thailand they ain't gonna give fuck all for free lol

#9 Up2You

Up2You

LB Valentino

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts
  • Interests:interests, hum...

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

The way I see it

Anyone approaching you anywhere and offering you a chance at something for nothing or a small price for something wonderful is to be ignored and passed without one wasted word, or second, of your precious time.

The only exception I can thing of.. is when you are approached by a LB.

#10 shemalelover

shemalelover

LB Lover

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

seen them in Pattaya too..young people with clipboards... just say mai auw,khap and walk on...no problem

#11 sam92teg

sam92teg

Wicked LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

Yes, same thing happened to me walking down Beach Road. Two guys dressed up and with clip board. I won some prize they said and acted all excited for me. Then they wanted me to go to some hotel to claim the prize. I politely declined and walked on.

#12 Rinzler

Rinzler

I got a ladyboy pregnant

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts
  • Interests:Thai ladies
    80s nostalgia (music, video games, etc...)
    Big tits

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

I fell for it once.
I was walking down walking street during the day time. A guy with a clip board came up to me and asked a few simple questions... Age? Where from? how long in Thailand?, Then I got the "scratch 'n lose" ticket. I "won" a tshirt and one of four other prizes. To know which one, I had to go with him to get my tshirt. We got into a taxi and went to Jomtein. Turns out it was a timeshare gimmick. The guy with the clip board handed me over to a salesman who acted like he was my best friend. He even gave me a tour of Pattaya (He showed me all of the places I've already been). Then, we went back to the office and he made his presentation. After I said "no" about 20 times, he got his supervisor. I had to say no about 5 more times. Then, they finally gave me to a taxi driver to bring me back to my hotel.On the way out, they forgot to give me my prizes. I had to ask about them. I got my tshirt and the other prize turned out to be a free stay in a hotel far away from anywhere I would want to be. I gave the tshirt to a bartender at the next bar I went to.

#13 ExLibris

ExLibris

LB Lover

• Advanced Member
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

For them it's a numbers game. The margins are high and expenses are low, they only need one person out of a hundred to say "yes" to them. I was doing some contract work for a cold calling telemarketing company a while back. A successful caller was making 150 - 200 calls a day, reaching about 50 people, and getting contact info from 2-3 of them. Those were the target numbers that made the whole thing profitable. I assume with those scratch cards the success rate is better. Every time I walk on beach road I see someone doing that survey. And it's harder to say no to a real person then on a phone. The girls who handle these surveys on beach road are really well trained for what they do. Before I started ignoring them I went through an array of reasons I won't do the survey, and every time they tried to turn me around and had a ready response for that. By the way, with telemarketing or any kind of active sales, the best strategy to avoid is to ignore. Don't try to be funny, don't try to be polite, they have strategies for reversing all kinds of reactions in their favor except for the lack of reaction. And remember - If it's too good to be true - it is.

Edited by ExLibris, 22 July 2013 - 04:35 AM.

#14 Slacker

Slacker

Absolute Cad

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Interests:Muckspreading, Rub and Tug shops

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

A few years back it was a guy riding a scooter around Pattaya. He was sort of Indian / Middle-Eastern-looking but no heavy accent - just a neutral transatlantic one. He stopped with a scratch card and then offered to take the lucky winner direct on his scooter to some timeshare place in Jomtien.

#15 Rustybullethole

Rustybullethole

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

I always do the survey but give them my mates name and room number.
It's hilarious when they get hassled and don't know why.

#16 POWERLIFTER666

POWERLIFTER666

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving---muay thai ---Ladyboys

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

Never saw this in Pattaya but when I was in Phuket,I twice had farangs trying to give out these scratch cards,I listened for a bit to one of these assholes.You scratch the card and of course you win a prize.They then want you to go somewhere to get this prize,and when you get there they "give" you 5000 baht all you have to do is give them your credit card number.Really if anyone was dumb enough to fall for this they probably deserve to lose their money.
I can handle the endless Thai touts and even the friendly tailors ,but expats trying to scam tourists really pisses me off. http://www.ladyboysp...#EMO_DIR#/Angry (With Teeth).gif

I just know your feeling about that most scammers and thiefs are others tourist a lot of guys loose theire mind by going to patts and will be able to do anything to have more money to stay longer or even live there (what is usually not the case for a serious and honest monger)
I usually take much more care about others tourists then from the thaïs themselves

#17 Robi_slo

Robi_slo

LB Mogul

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:21 AM

On June Patong was full of semi-decent :Devil:  looking expats with Australian accent. They were advertising everything from bars to restaurants to tourist discount cards, usualy they found some nice looking farang ladies or couples and talk to them as if they would like to help them getting around... yeah right. Maybe it was a scam or they were just paid comission for tickets sold, who knows all I know is BIB would be happy to find them in action. :D

#18 Ghost Of Steptoe

Ghost Of Steptoe

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts
  • Interests:horses, greyhounds, complaining, pie and mash and of course strange ladies with 3 legs

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Went along with an old credit card last year , they don't have the technology to do on line payments, its an old paper imprint machine , they have a crappy little office on the main drag round the corner from Tootsies , I sat for 45 mins listened to their shit , got a few drinks , a meal and 2000bht cash for going , its a holiday club where they try to sell you a log on to some website that travel agents use , this supposedly gives you holidays without the travel agents mark up , flights the same, its all bollox as any travel agent will tell you to get access to that system they use costs around £25k and membership of a reputable association .
They started off that it was only £2000 to join , yes right , in the end they sold it to me for £200 and the log on would come with a letter to my home address within 14 days of payment clearing, yeh right, my surname is Hunt not Cunt, good luck to them trying to get payment from a card that has been replaced.
Cheeky fuckers even sent a letter demanding payment which of course was ignored and filed in the correct folder
Fuck em the 2000 bht went toward the ladyboys benevolent fund at Jimbos establishment.

Edited by Albert Steptoe, 15 August 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#19 jimbo34

jimbo34

His Grumpyness

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,610 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Went along with an old credit card last year , they don't have the technology to do on line payments, its an old paper imprint machine , they have a crappy little office on the main drag round the corner from Tootsies , I sat for 45 mins listened to their shit , got a few drinks , a meal and 2000bht cash for going , its a holiday club where they try to sell you a log on to some website that travel agents use , this supposedly gives you holidays without the travel agents mark up , flights the same, its all bollox as any travel agent will tell you to get access to that system they use costs around £25k and membership of a reputable association .
They started off that it was only £2000 to join , yes right , in the end they sold it to me for £200 and the log on would come with a letter to my home address within 14 days of payment clearing, yeh right, my surname is Hunt not Cunt, good luck to them trying to get payment from a card that has been replaced.
Cheeky fuckers even sent a letter demanding payment which of course was ignored and filed in the correct folder
Fuck em the 2000 bht went toward the ladyboys benevolent fund at Jimbos establishment.

Not all at one sitting, surely? (Faint)

#20 Ghost Of Steptoe

Ghost Of Steptoe

LB Connoisseur

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,502 posts
  • Interests:horses, greyhounds, complaining, pie and mash and of course strange ladies with 3 legs

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hey , enough of that cheeky bollox , next time I will give it to them Thai Cunts at Tiger plaza if your not careful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users